Thoughts on this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Were saying buy it because its very nice and if it fits you you should ride it.
:eek: summers on the way
Hmmm well I haven't had a go on it yet but its up against a little bit of competition .............

049_zps7d26666a.jpg

Having said that I wont leave either of the above out of my sight as I bought them both brand new just last year so a run about could be handy .

wisdom

Guru
And its old school.Or should I say retro
You havent got one of those.......Yet:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I love both of them . The Defy 5 has been TT'd to get me used to / see if I get on with the position before I take the plunge on a Giant Trinity . The TCR1 Advanced is just insane :hyper:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ok due to peer pressure and nothing else :laugh: I now have the bike with me . I have also picked up a bike box incase I decide its not for me .
It seems the gears are not working . I think they may just be seized up .

young Ed

Veteran
good on you!get down and dirty and just give the 'dead' derrailers a wiggle and a flick and maybe a bit of a spray with wd40 or gt85 or dacantaloux or whatever! then just shift it lots of times! is the shifter actually pulling the cable if you remove the cable from the pinch bolt on the derailler?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
There is some movement . The rear derailer shifts up with the lever but shifts back down when the lever is let go . The front just moves a bit but does nothing .
I've had a quick ride on it and although fixed in gear is a lovely bike to ride . Nice bit of retro internal cable going on aswell .
Unless its an easy fix I wont be bothering with it and I don't want to be throwing money at it .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I think its the shifters that are the problem . The one for the front mech seems like there is something stopping it shifting all the way . Can they be taken apart or will I cause more damage if I try ?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive made a mistake . I took it for a real ride :becool:
I should have just passed it on but ooooooooh no not me . The gear shifting was not going to beat me and I can see its been looked after so off I go riding and LBS'ing
The front shifter is now working and the bar tape has been re wrapped to a fashion .
The rear shifter is a bitch though , I can see me spending many hours on that and I don't even want the bike ......... but I like it :shy:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've noticed a small amount of movement on the forks . When I put the front wheel between my legs and twisted the handle bars I could move them . I let off the bolt in the stem a little and got some oil in there and that let me tighten the bolt about another half a turn . The bike is in such good condition I think this may be a problem with it hanging on the wall for x amount of years . Any ideas or tips ?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I've noticed a small amount of movement on the forks . When I put the front wheel between my legs and twisted the handle bars I could move them . I let off the bolt in the stem a little and got some oil in there and that let me tighten the bolt about another half a turn . The bike is in such good condition I think this may be a problem with it hanging on the wall for x amount of years . Any ideas or tips ?
i would think headset bearings need a clean and regrease

Top Bottom