Thoughts on this ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
So I gotta take it all apart right ? :hyper:
I've never taken one apart before , I guess it's self explaining as it comes apart ? Anything I need to look out for ? I always seem to get something flying across the room never to be found again when I take something apart .

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So I gotta take it all apart right ? :hyper:
I've never taken one apart before , I guess it's self explaining as it comes apart ? Anything I need to look out for ? I always seem to get something flying across the room never to be found again when I take something apart .
no piece of cake undo locknut on top off fork remove quill stem drop fr wheel out undo lower nut slowly holding on to fork and hey presto , i would expect caged bearings so once nut fully off fork will fall out of headtube clean the bearings and races apply some grease to bearings and races then re fit , if not sure loads on you tube

ps i still like the look of it

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Thanks Biggs .
I wanted to take it for a fast loop of Richmond park today but I think I will sort this out first !
I should be seeing the guy over the weekend so will ask if he has the original seat .
I've got the shoes that he wore with it :eek: I won't be wearing them !

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Well that was all going well until I had everything in bits and someone walked up and started talking to me and touching things . All back together now and she rides sweet .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want to check the head bearings hold the front brake on and try to move the bars back and forth. There shouldn't be any play. That is such a nice bike, I'm jealous!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If you want to check the head bearings hold the front brake on and try to move the bars back and forth. There shouldn't be any play. That is such a nice bike, I'm jealous!
There is a very small amount of play but I have the bars tight now . The flange that holds the ball race by the forks looked fixed in place to me , is that supposed to tighten ? It doesn't have a nut on it to turn with a spanner .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There should be two nuts, the bottom one needs to be tightened down until the play disappears but the wheel should turn under its own weight without any roughness. The top one screws down to hold the adjustment.

I think its the shifters that are the problem . The one for the front mech seems like there is something stopping it shifting all the way . Can they be taken apart or will I cause more damage if I try ?
I had those shifters on an old Dawes I bought a while ago, and I had similar shifting issues.

A bit of Googling seemed to suggest that they are prone to getting gunked up internally. I blitzed mine with degreaser and got them spotless, but TBH they never worked particularly well despite this. You can remove the front cover but be careful as there is a 1/4 turned spring behind it.

I wasn't that fussed as I ultimately restored it back to factory spec and as such re-fitted downtube shifters to it.

When it comes to trying to repair them, AASHTA, the picture in that link illustrates the potential problems you'll face!

There was a guy, (on ebay I think), offering to refurbish old shifters, but IIRC he was in the US, and I wasn't sufficiently interested in pursuing that option.

Good luck whatever you decide.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
There should be two nuts, the bottom one needs to be tightened down until the play disappears but the wheel should turn under its own weight without any roughness. The top one screws down to hold the adjustment.
Hmmm the bottom one must be gunked up then . I'll take it apart again :hyper:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I did about 5 miles on it and annoyingly got a few best times even though I took it easy . It's annoying as I have 3k of modern road bikes and this beat the times without trying ! Plus I still have a hurty leg !

Top Bottom