Thoughts on Trek Allant+9.9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Edit: I decided against buying the cube in the end, so I changed the the thread title.

I'm moving home soon. I am thinking about purchasing a 2020 CX Performance Bosch equipped motor ebike to smooth out the hills of my new, longer 13 mile commute. Whilst I'm definitely fit enough to ride the route muscle powered (I did a trial run on my heavy steel frame) the steep climbs mean it's a good 1 hour and 20 mins, that 30 mins longer than before. I have a baby at home now so want to minimise travel time so I can spend more time with DD before bedtime. An ebike would help me do that without adding a second car to our household bills. Also, I'm not riding much commuting miles these days, and I am regularly throwing away £90 on bus fares. Something like this will work out about £70 a month over 3 years interest free credit, so I'll be ahead financially so long as maintenance isn't overly expensive and I commit to avoiding the bus in all but the worst weather.

I know I can go cheaper with a custom build, but don't want the hassle of things going wrong, I picked Bosch because they have great warranty and the new CX motor seems to be getting rave reviews. I had considered the active line motors too, but as I'm a bit of a lump and I'm cycling steep hills and some light trials, I thought the 75Nm torque motor might be better suited to my needs.

Spec wise it looks decent with rack, lights and mudguards built in. If you had £3k burning a hole in your pocket for a e-bike commuter, would you pick something like this for hilly terrain with mostly tarmac but some light trail riding? Major downside is it's not available in my size until Feb 2020. The LBS has nothing comparable in stock. Since most motors need to be dealer serviced, I want to buy from my local dealer. https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/e-bikes...be-kathmandu-hybrid-exc-625-iridiumnred-2020/

I'm not really sure if e-bike riders rate Cube? I've never owned one. I steered awat from giants offering because of their proprietary motor. I haven't been able to find any reviews of this cube bike yet, I don't think it's even off the production line yet, but my LBS are taking pre-orders, and I'm tempted to hit that buy button. What do you think?

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like you averaged about 10mph on the pushbike.

Assuming that wasn't because of many junctions and traffic lights, the ebike should improve that.

You wont go far wrong with a Cube/Bosch bike.

I've not tried the latest Bosch motor, but they are generally reliable and reckoned to give the nicest cycling experience.

Someone in the trade told me Bosch has been quoting long lead times to manufacturers, which explains why you cannot get a bike until February.

I'm surprised the bike shop doesn't have any alternatives.

Trekking ebikes of the type you are interested in are made by many manufacturers.

No need to rule out the Giant - the motor is just a Giant branded Yamaha one.

It's known to be reliable, although perhaps not as smooth as the Bosch in operation.

Where are you based?

tom73

Guru
Have you looked at trek?
Don’t know too much about them but ones I’ve seen look ok was reading that they’ve put a lot of money into developing them.

Ananda

I'm moving home soon. I am thinking about purchasing a 2020 CX Performance Bosch equipped motor ebike to smooth out the hills of my new, longer 13 mile commute. Whilst I'm definitely fit enough to ride the route muscle powered (I did a trial run on my heavy steel frame) the steep climbs mean it's a good 1 hour and 20 mins, that 30 mins longer than before. I have a baby at home now so want to minimise travel time so I can spend more time with DD before bedtime. An ebike would help me do that without adding a second car to our household bills. Also, I'm not riding much commuting miles these days, and I am regularly throwing away £90 on bus fares. Something like this will work out about £70 a month over 3 years interest free credit, so I'll be ahead financially so long as maintenance isn't overly expensive and I commit to avoiding the bus in all but the worst weather.

I know I can go cheaper with a custom build, but don't want the hassle of things going wrong, I picked Bosch because they have great warranty and the new CX motor seems to be getting rave reviews. I had considered the active line motors too, but as I'm a bit of a lump and I'm cycling steep hills and some light trials, I thought the 75Nm torque motor might be better suited to my needs.

Spec wise it looks decent with rack, lights and mudguards built in. If you had £3k burning a hole in your pocket for a e-bike commuter, would you pick something like this for hilly terrain with mostly tarmac but some light trail riding? Major downside is it's not available in my size until Feb 2020. The LBS has nothing comparable in stock. Since most motors need to be dealer serviced, I want to buy from my local dealer. https://www.cube.eu/en/2020/e-bikes...be-kathmandu-hybrid-exc-625-iridiumnred-2020/

I'm not really sure if e-bike riders rate Cube? I've never owned one. I steered awat from giants offering because of their proprietary motor. I haven't been able to find any reviews of this cube bike yet, I don't think it's even off the production line yet, but my LBS are taking pre-orders, and I'm tempted to hit that buy button. What do you think?

I think this thing is the ugliest and heaviest ebike in cube's range. But of course taste is a personal thing. Other than that, bare in mind that the 2020 active line is putting out only 10nm less torque than the cx line, 65 vs 75 which is a non issue. In my opinion an acid hybrid would be the cheapest ebike to buy and ran in cube's line, due to older tech 9sp transmission and well...lowest in range purchase price. At the same time it does not look bad either and is almost 5kgs lighter than the katmandu.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@PaleRider I'm in leeds but the nearest cube dealer (afaik) is All Terrain Cycles in Shipley, just a short hop on train or jaunt from where I work.

You're right about my average speed. Lots of long slow climbs and fast descents, little in the way of traffic lights and junctions. Think my route is perfect candidate for an ebike.

Cool, didn't know Giant's motors were rebranded Yamahas.

I'll check out Treks offerings too.

I'll admit the design is not exactly eye candy, but this is intended as a practical and comfy commuter, not my weekend ride.

The acid hybrid is cheaper but lacks the practical commuter additions and range of the 625 powertube battery. I do appreciate the suggestions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Trek Allant+8 or 9.9 (£5k!!! :laugh:) are also very tempting! I think they are also going to be hard to get hold of probably due to the same Bosch motor availability, will make some calls tomorrow.

My gripe with e bike manufacturers when first researching to purchase was that the all but few insisted on equiping their bikes with, in my option no essential, very heavy shocks that could add quite a kg or two on to the weight of your bike. Not got when you have to left it in and out twice a day. Scottish roads are quite rumbly and grippy but I felt carbon shocks would suffice in reducing some of the road chatter. Just something to think about bud. I ended up with a Whyte bike with no shocks and I love it.

CXRAndy

Guru
You could make a far superior ebike with greater range, power and much cheaper.
Just choose the right bike for converting. I would look at last years unsold models of bikes, they can be had for a bargain. I bought my wife's bike for less than £500, it retailed £1000 new

68/73 threaded bottom bracket, aluminium/steel frame with space and bottle cage mounts for battery

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I am not the biggest fan of cheapo Chinese electrics, but some people get good service from them.

You've ruled out a kit, but a ready made Chinese bike would be a cheaper option than the Cube.

There's a lot to be said for Oxygen, good quality for what it is, and the importer is based in Yorkshire.

The guy who owns it is genuine, and he does keep a stock of spares.

The bikes ride quite well, control not as sophisticated as a Bosch bike, but a bit more poke on the flat.

Test rides available - and probably a discount - from Oxygen in Rotherham.

http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/shop-2/s-cross-cb/

tom73

Guru
Seen quite a few Oxygen ones out and about people seat be happy with them.
One guy is always out on one he's normal parked up at the supermarket.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
:sweat: My wife will not be happy* (thanks to @tom73) because when I checked the Trek range, the Allant+9.9 caught my eye. What a beauty. I spoke with the shop and they can get it to me a month earlier than the cube.

Needless to say, I couldn't resist it's charms! Ah well. It's the last bike I'll buy for a long time as I can only fit 3 in my stable, not to mention, I'll be penniless! :okay:

*DW can't really get mad, because I subsidise her a much more expensive motor car habit! :whistle:

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Yeah that's the RRP, there might be a smidge of wiggle room but I doubt there's much because I'm part financing it (0% APR mind) which will eat into the store's margin.

@tom73, certainly not to blame but if the wife starts asking how much... I might need a human shield. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom