Thoughts please on liability - crash in race training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
, although that he's using a very expensive bike to train on which isn't insured surprised me.

Which bit surprises you? The fact the bike isn't insured for damage?

Try getting property damage cover for racing on a bicycle........

screenman

Legendary Member
DC, whilst reading this I spilled my coffee into my computor which has stopped working, now I hold you responsible for this as it was your post that did it, where can I send the bill?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Frankly either morally or legally I don't see why you should contribute anything towards the repair of child A's bike. Morally child C did not cause the accident through negligent let alone intentionally, he was following the instructors instruction to ride fast and close to the child in front.

Legally this from ctc, in particularly sections 3.4 and 5, suggest C/you have no liability legally. There is a possibility that the organiser has liability, but I would be surprised if they did not get parents to sign some form of indemnity, or failing that have suitable insurance. But absence of either is not your problem either.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
If I was a parent of one of the children not involved in this incident, I'm not sure I'd appreciate the precedent you're setting by agreeing to make a contribution to the repairs. Just a thought. :wacko:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If I was a parent of one of the children not involved in this incident, I'm not sure I'd appreciate the precedent you're setting by agreeing to make a contribution to the repairs. Just a thought. :wacko:
But equally they might appreciate the opposite, as their child might be the next one to crash into that bike.

I think there ought to be some clear rules laid out before this event so that you know what you are responsible for in advance.

screenman

Legendary Member
But equally they might appreciate the opposite, as their child might be the next one to crash into that bike.

I think there ought to be some clear rules laid out before this event so that you know what you are responsible for in advance.

The rules are in the history of cycle racing, you expect to crash and you pay for your own bike. In the 44 years I have been actively involved in cycle racing it has been that way, hopefully it will stay that way, anything else and we are heading for disaster.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@RecordAceFromNew @Joshua Plumtree @screenman @roadrash - I appreciate your views and as a parent I do see the concerns. However, my son's got the chance of being involved for 7-8 years and I'm taking a long-term perspective.

When we're next there I'll have another look at the T&C's as I can't find it on the ones which are on the membership form. The T&C's of membership relate to the riding coaching, not the race coaching. My child won't be the first to be in this situation, nor will he be the last.

DC, whilst reading this I spilled my coffee into my computor which has stopped working, now I hold you responsible for this as it was your post that did it, where can I send the bill?

Erm ... you're an adult. If you can't hold your drink :tongue: .

screenman

Legendary Member
You came here asking for advice or opinions of us, most have said to offer anything goes against the code of cycle racing, I am sure you feel your way is correct and I accept your right to that choice. Even though I feel you are wrong. I also know you are quite new to the sport and will not as yet know the unwritten rules.

Let us hope the other parents are reading this and know what a very poor example they are setting, spoiled brat seems to ring about right.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@screenman - thanks and I have really appreciated the advice. I posted last week more as a plea for guidance. And yes, I have ignored much/some of the advice given, possibly as I'm fairly new to racing and this is the first instance I've experienced of a crash in training.

I'm not comfortable with what I've offered, but will accept it given the circumstances. If this'd been in an actual race there's no way I'd have offered anything.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As it's a "racing" situation, damage/injury is a risk you have accepted. If a crash happens, you pay for your own repairs and that's it.

If you can't afford to replace it, don't race it.
Spot on. Racing incident. If you can't afford to write your gear off in a crash don't race. Or train. Cos training is racing too.

ejls2

Sorry for updating a thread that's gone quiet but is there any chance you could let me know how this panned out?

For what it's worth, I would have done exactly what you were proposing to do. I'd view it as a racing incident with no liability for your son and I'd have made that point politely but firmly. I would also have taken the long view that it's better to keep things running smoothly and offer to make a small contribution to the repair. If I was in a particulalry grumpy mood, I might also have made a veiled comment about children training on carbon frames but there you go ;-)

The reason I ask is that a my much younger brother and his friends are in a similar situation. They were doing through and off training when a less experienced thirteen year old pulled off and tapped the brakes a mite hard resulting in a pile up. My brother's frame took a beating but, as it's basically made of scaffolding poles (much to his continued annoyance), it's completely fine. The parents of one of the other children are asking for money from the parents of: (i) the child in front who tapped the brakes (fair enough on one level but it's still a racing incident in my mind); AND (ii) the child behind who went into the back of their child (a bit off in my view).

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The parents of one of the other children are asking for money from the parents of: (i) the child in front who tapped the brakes (fair enough on one level but it's still a racing incident in my mind); AND (ii) the child behind who went into the back of their child (a bit off in my view).
Talk about having your cake and eating it!
So everyone behind should have been able to stop in time, except their own son?

Top Bottom