Thoughts please on liability - crash in race training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ejls2

Talk about having your cake and eating it!
So everyone behind should have been able to stop in time, except their own son?

Exactly! I (and others) have pointed out the teensy-weensy degree of hypocrisy and it's all calmed down. I suspect that after a night or two of sleeping on it everyone will back down but I still thought it was interesting. The key factor was that everyone else was riding nice chunky metal frames with entry/mid level components (my brother even had some of my cast-off nine year old Veloce on his!) whereas the child in question had blinged up carbon with Ultegra SL etc. :-)

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@ejls2 - and others for their assistance here. It's been useful, even if I didn't take all the advice.

It was finally resolved at the end of last week. In the end I paid half of the repair - which totalled £165 and apparently is a good repair.

To keep harmony has cost me £82. I'm happy with that from a long-term perspective. What's ironic is that my youngest isn't riding at the moment as he broke his arm! However, he'll be back training in 2-4 weeks.

ejls2

I hope you will be sure to reciprocate the request if your son's bike is even scratched as a result of the acts or omissions of said child ;-)

Crankarm

Guru
They are kids for Christ's sake accidents are going to happen! It sounds like DC has arrived at the best solution 50:50 with the other party. However I would advise you get the other party to agree preferably in writing and signed, that your part payment towards repairs is NOT an admission of liability whatsoever and is the only and final sum that will be paid in respect of this matter. More widely i think the instructors or training centre would be liable as they have a duty of care to run a safe session as the participants are children. There will be enhanced duty of care as the participants are children and quite young children. But as competing adults you know the risks of racing so you should be prepared to underwrite your own damage to your bike and accessories. Serious physical injury or death I don't know, this would probably become a legal squabble.

I think you made the right call in the end DC even if you or your child weren't liable just to maintain goodwill.

Top Bottom