Thread has run its time! How is decision made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have just had a thread 'Person of Colour" closed after four days.

We have 25 pages of live threads in the N&CA sub-forum, many of which have not been replied to in more than 2 years so presumably their legs could be said to be gone.

Who decides if a thread, other than one which descends into nastiness, should be closed, and how is the decision made? Consistency should be important.

This one had meandered a bit (guilty m'lud) but had not descended into any offensive responses, imo.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll find the mods discuss threads and decide whether to close them, or clean them up. Sometimes the thread is so far off topic and/or descended into a bun fight, they are closed. They also weigh up the number of reports from members.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We have just had a thread 'Person of Colour" closed after four days.

We have 25 pages of live threads in the N&CA sub-forum, many of which have not been replied to in more than 2 years so presumably their legs could be said to be gone.

Who decides if a thread, other than one which descends into nastiness, should be closed, and how is the decision made? Consistency should be important.

This one had meandered a bit (guilty m'lud) but had not descended into any offensive responses, imo.

I had to report myself repeatedly, on account of uncalled for innuendo :blush:.

To be fair, we had (I think) reasonably resolved the initial issue, at least to the Ops satisfaction, and had thence wandered off into other 'recreational' topics. :angel:

Why not start another one on another issue of your choice @Rusty Nails ??

Ah yes - you just did.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Why?

I mean, really. It's only an internet cycling forum, not a court of law. It's not important at all. Recommended next step after a thread is closed: Get over it.

Someone will be invoking the

"It's only Football - it's not exactly life and death" - -

" No, you're right, It's more important than that"

Argument in a minute.. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Why?

I mean, really. It's only an internet cycling forum, not a court of law. It's not important at all. Recommended next step after a thread is closed: Get over it.

I've got over it now, after a period of reflection and some counselling. It was in danger of taking over my life, but I realise now that consistency in moderation of threads is not important at all.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've got over it now, after a period of reflection and some counselling. It was in danger of taking over my life, but I realise now that consistency in moderation of threads is not important at all.

That's the spirit old bean.. :okay:

And anyway..

Chin up, you can now put more of your discursive energies, into picking apart the private life of a minor television personality.

The fun really doesn't stop :okay:

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
That's the spirit old bean.. :okay:

And anyway..

Chin up, you can now put more of your discursive energies, into picking apart the private life of a minor television personality.

The fun really doesn't stop :okay:

I'd better get in quick as I suspect that thread will be for the chop soon.

We need a break now and then from the "fun" we get from the various Brexit threads.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'd better get in quick as I suspect that thread will be for the chop soon.

We need a break now and then from the "fun" we get from the various Brexit threads.

If, henceforth, we're not more careful with our p's and q's, we might even have go back to chatting about cycling.. :eek:

Can you imagine ??

:cycle:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Subjects like the PoC thread just get boring after a while with people repeating themselves and like a wounded animal should be put out it's misery.

If people are bored by a thread then they needn’t visit it.

I find it remarkably easy to ignore threads that no longer interest me; I don’t need to have it locked.
If it’s wandered off-topic for too long it indicates a failure of moderation and subsequently locking it is an admission of that.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If people are bored by a thread then they needn’t visit it.

I find it remarkably easy to ignore threads that no longer interest me; I don’t need to have it locked.
If it’s wandered off-topic for too long it indicates a failure of moderation and subsequently locking it is an admission of that.

Indeed, very much, to the first part.. :okay:

But as to the second, we mustn't forget our dear Mr Wildes' advice...

"Everything in moderation -

- including moderation" :smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Without criticising the mods too much, I generally hate it when a topic gets locked for anything, but especially when they feel a topic is done, knowing full well another thread will pop up in its place and the exact same points will be made again. It also seems to be done totally randomly even though I am sure in most cases they will come to a consensus before the lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom