Threaded Chain Wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
Ooops. When I was threading my new chain I didn't go under the little tab near the top pulley on the 105 derailleur but went around it. I didn't notice until mid ride today when some gear combinations had a lot of noise. The particular noise issues were when the larger rear sprockets were being used with the large chainwheel, so probably stretching the derailleur a bit. I've done 60 miles like that now.

Will any damage have been caused to the chain or other parts from this?

Also, do you happen to know if Halfords sell quick links? Their website shows as available to C&C from 7th April, so not sure if they actually stock them or not.

The chain will be fine but the RD will be scuffed in the bit you know where.

I dunno about Halfords.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Only an idiot would do that :whistle:
I know, even more so since I've fitted more than 4 chains on this bike without error! The difference this time is I changed the cassette at the same time, and also re-measured the length to account for smaller larger sprocket, then obviously paid too little attention to actually threading the thing!

subaqua

What’s the point
Cough - I have never done that at all . Oh no not me cough cough

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I forgot to put mine through the fd once :laugh: no harm done as I always use quick links.
Moral of the story: do not do bike mechanics when you're tired.
Also do not bake when you are tired, the results are poor :girl:

subaqua

What’s the point
I noticed when I was trying to index the gears and wondered what the godawful racket was. then i looked properly. as pat says . don't try and fix things when tired.

Top Bottom