Threaded Chain Wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
You honestly don't know how easy you have it. Until you've tried to re-thread the chain through two tubes, two jockey wheels, two crossing points, and front and rear derailleurs that are 2 metres apart, its really all childs play ;)

Tim Hall

You honestly don't know how easy you have it. Until you've tried to re-thread the chain through two tubes, two jockey wheels, two crossing points, and front and rear derailleurs that are 2 metres apart, its really all childs play ;)
Been there, done that (badly). Miscounted the crossing points on the Pino, so the stoker chain was running backwards. With hilarious results.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
All fixed and running smoothly! Can't believe I cycled a whole ride and a half before it twigged a new chain and cassette shouldn't sound that bad!

Tom B

Guru
I know, even more so since I've fitted more than 4 chains on this bike without error! The difference this time is I changed the cassette at the same time, and also re-measured the length to account for smaller larger sprocket, then obviously paid too little attention to actually threading the thing!

You are not alone and I've fitted significantly more than 4.

After changing the chain a couple of days ago I decided to have a fiddle and find the annoying noise that was there whenever the chain moved. I'd sort of zoneed out of it, but I had noticed that people on paths heard me coming more than usual.

Found that I'd incorrectly threaded the RD and the chain was scraping on a pin on the cage between the jockeys.

I still can't believe I'd done it! - so just the 120 miles or so with it like that!

I still dont know how I managed it, but I am going to blame having the bike unusualy high on the stand!

D

Deleted member 1258

There must be some pollen in the air. I feel the cough as well. Stupid..cough....idiots who thread their chains like amateurs.

Someone else here feeling a cough coming on, I've been fitting chains since the days of five speed transmissions, you'd think I'd know better, it's like getting my finger caught in a fixed wheel transmission you'd have thought I'd be more careful, I'm putting both down to senior moments.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Fitted a new Tiagra 10 speed chainset after transferring most of the parts from my old blue Ribble winter bike to a new frame. I'd been a little worried that a 10 speed chainset might not work with my old 9 speed setup, and when I'd put the chain on and turned the cranks the appalling noise appeared to justify my concerns .......
Guess what?

(it now runs sweet as a very sweet thing)

Fitted a new Tiagra 10 speed chainset after transferring most of the parts from my old blue Ribble winter bike to a new frame. I'd been a little worried that a 10 speed chainset might not work with my old 9 speed setup, and when I'd put the chain on and turned the cranks the appalling noise appeared to justify my concerns .......
Guess what?

(it now runs sweet as a very sweet thing)
Idiot.

Top Bottom