Threadlock on BB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Let me guess...Park Tools sell a threadlock compound?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
just grease and do up tight is all I've ever done. tbh they are such a tight thread - sometimes removing one can be a bugger, that i don't see the need or desire for threadlock. anyone had a BB fall out whilst pedalling? no I thought not.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
just grease and do up tight is all I've ever done. tbh they are such a tight thread - sometimes removing one can be a bugger, that i don't see the need or desire for threadlock. anyone had a BB fall out whilst pedalling? no I thought not.

Thought so. I was just a bit surprised to see it and wondered if I was about to learn something new.

Drago

Legendary Member
There's only one way to treat BB threads...

AggressiveEvilEelelephant-size_restricted.gif

Gunk

Guru
They’re bloody difficult enough to remove without being smothered in threadlock.

deuxfois

They’re bloody difficult enough to remove without being smothered in threadlock.
Which is why I always apply copper grease (for its anti-seize properties) to the threads before installing. Also use it on pedals and chainset bolts, which can be stubborn to shift.

Reactions: C R

presta

Guru
This was my experience after an LBS put threadlock on my BB:
Upthread I mentioned that my frame was replaced under guarantee, that was because Dawes didn't tighten the BB sufficiently when they built the bike, so after two weeks and 150m it worked loose and chewed all the threads ot of the frame.

When the time came to replace the BB I found that the LBS had glued it in with what I took to be threadlock, but it looked a bit like Isopon body filler, and as they hadn't used any grease, the threads were badly rusted. Having spent hours carefully cleaning out the compound and rust, the threads were quite badly eroded so I wasn't optimistic, but after I treated it to lashings of grease the new BB withstood full torque without stripping.

Then I had a choice: risk wearing out what was left of the threads by repeatedly removing it to inspect it, or leave it alone and hope the grease would do the job. I did the latter for ages, but then curiosity got the better of me and I removed it for no good reason. The grease hadn't dried out, but it hadn't stopped the rust either, and what came out was a load of both, it was a bit like a mixture of olive oil and breadcrumbs.

Anyhow, that was it, by the time I cleaned it up and reassembled it the thread stripped, so it's had a threadless BB in since then. I should have just left it alone until the BB wore out.

Top Bottom