Threadlock on v-brake bolts ? (Shimano)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MountainSide

I'm quite fussy about my brakes and don't like much slack in the cable. However despite constantly adjusting the spring tensions to re-centre them, after a while they go off again slightly, even after complete clean/lubrication, on the rears. I'm thinking the bolt (particularly on the right hand side) keeps tightening itself preventing that side from releasing easily. I did read that threadlock should be used. Does that sound like it would solve the problem? I've never used the stuff before, does it last a long time in the tube or does it go off quick, once opened, as I'll only be needing a tiny amount?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should solve the problem, thread lock should last for ages if sealed.

ozboz

Guru
to be honest the been having a similar problem with my front brake also , I was thinking along the same lines as you , I was thinking of getting a small torque wrench also ,handy tool , a you tube vid mentions a certain setting for these bolts

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Should solve the problem, thread lock should last for ages if sealed.

It generally does. Can be purchased in stick form (like Pritt Stick) also- I imagine that stuff is fairly stable.

I can ask at work- I work for the same company that Loctite is part of, there are some Loctite tech support people on site (I know that in practice real shelf-life may be much longer than that given on the pack just because no-one wants to task a lab tech with checking properties of batches of material for years and years)

Make sure you get the right grade of threadlock.

There are two types a light lock (blue and can be undone with a spanner/Allen let) and a much more permanent heavy lock (red and requires blow torch heat to break bond).

keithmac

Guru
The arm moves on a sleeve/bush, the sleeve is secured to the bike via the bolt.

You need to get some oil beteen the arm and the sleeve, 3in1 is ideal for this.

Take the wheel out and cable off, lube the pivot and give it some good movement.

keithmac

Guru
Might have got the wrong end of the stick!, if its for the little screw adjusters blue loctite will be fine, it last ages and you can buy small bottles for a few £ if you don't need loads..

Worth doung the sleeves first though as if one of those starts sticking it will cause the problem you've described.

OP
OP
M

MountainSide

Thanks, will keep an eye on it a little longer but good to know about the thread lock. On my bike it does seem, if the bolts are too tight, the arms do not release despite cleaned, oil and lubed, so might be worth trying next, if it is tightening up itself over time.

I saw one review about thread lock that it separates and goes off once opened but I guess there is always someone with a bad experience so good to know that is not typical so will be worth having around for various jobs.

Top Bottom