Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
That should be the 1st to the 7th (for Sun to Sat), or the 2nd to the 8th (for Mon to Sun)! I'm working on the basis of a Mon to Sun week.

Welcome to the challenge, Colin.

Week 1 in 2023 is 8 days, thereafter it'll be a 7 day week - Monday to Sunday. All explained in the opening post of this thread.

Yes - try and report 'moving time' for any of your short rides (I don't think it really matters on longer rides, ie if you're out for a few hours).

Is your mountain bike out of action? I'd envisaged you doing some canal towpath rides on your MTB while re-building your cycling stamina.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Week 1 in 2023 is 8 days, thereafter it'll be a 7 day week - Monday to Sunday. All explained in the opening post of this thread.
Oops, sorry - I read it too quickly and missed that!

Is your mountain bike out of action? I'd envisaged you doing some canal towpath rides on your MTB while re-building your cycling stamina.
Actually, it IS, and has been for over 3 years! So has my CAADX CX bike.

Covid scuppered various plans for the bikes, but it is now time to fix them. I have an offroad forum ride planned for this spring so I need to get at least one working again ASAP.

I have fixed significant problems on my other 4 bikes so I haven't been a total skiver! :whistle:

FrothNinja

Veteran
W1R1 - Folda 45 mins - Clarion run. Piddled down for the last 20 minutes.
W1R2 - Mares 50 mins - Local gravel long loop. Route has almost doubled in length since a couple of new sections of greenway were opened very recently. Got onto the overall leader boards for the new segments - an advantage of them only been ridden 50 odd times. Top 3 on one of the hidden segments.
W1R3 - Centurion 37 mins - Local Burnley miles, all in the rain.
W1R4 - Centurion 33 mins - Local Burnley miles, all in the rain.
W1R5 - Mares 47 mins - Local gravel long loop.
W1R6 - Hybrid 56 mins - Colne (LBS) return. Heavy sticky rain and dark on the return leg. Almost killed by a Delta car - camera was rolling.
W1R7 - Hybrid 46 mins - Local road triangle. Abbreviated the ride due to rain that dampened me for the last 15 mins as the light faded - set a PB trying to outrun it.
W1R8 - Hybrid 1hourish - Clarion run. It went weewee down all the way home.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Checking in for week 1.
01/01 was my metric half challenge ride so didn’t count that.
Ride 1. 03/01. Short local loop to encompass collecting a prescription from the docs then coming back the pretty route. 7.65 miles. 39:23
Ride 2. 06/01. Post ride decompress on National Numpty Day :sad: 6.62 miles. 34:49
Ride 3. 08/01. Short ‘pre work’ loop before the hail storm. 11.4 miles. 53.21

Only short rides but it’s been a bit of a week. All on my beloved Genesis Croix de Fer. Trying to fit in Joe Wicks workouts, work, appointments and all sorts in there.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
It's hard enough going out once these days.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope cycling gets easier for you as the year progresses.

Please keep posting your rides on here. Perhaps you could do what @ColinJ did in his Week 1 post above and include a count of 'successful weeks' ?

Alex321

Veteran
I'd be very surprised if I manage all 52 weeks, with a combination of weather and trips away without the bike, but let's see how it goes.

W1 R1 01/01/23 1H 16m, 18.8 miles Boardman Hybrid bike. Loop through Ewenny, back the short way after Colwinston
W1 R2 06/01/23 1H 6m, 17.01 miles. Boardman hybrid. Loop through Llancarfan - St Athan etc.
W1 R3 07/01/23 52m 12.81 miles. Back on the Cube road bike. Loop round Hensol, Tredodridge, Warren Mill Farm.
W1 R4 08/01/23 1H 25m. 19.66 miles. Cube. Similar loop to R1, but the longer way home via Llanmihangel.

Gibbo9

Veteran
Week 1 report:
4 qualifying rides last week totaling around 140km and 5.5 hours. Sadly I failed to record a ride whilst in the Philippines, no bikes for hire on Boracay island.

W1 R1 04/01 29.54km, 1h 15m, first ride of the year. Evening ride as it rained all day. Was nice when I eventually got out though.
W1 R2 05/01 25.84km, 1h 09m, a very damp morning but not raining so I just had to dodge puddles.
W1 R3 06/01 18.26km, 49 mins. Had to wait all day for the drizzle to stop, another evening ride.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Hi, I would love to join in this challenge as it may motivate me to get out on the bike on days when I might otherwise stay in the warm, and am looking to improve my fitness!
W1R1 01/01 1hr 7 mins, 10.1 miles. first ride of the year, just need to keep it up now.
W1R2 03/01 1 hr 4 mins 10.9 miles.
W1R3 06/01 1hr 54 min 19.6 miles.
All done on the mountain bike, but mostly on road.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'd be very surprised if I manage all 52 weeks, with a combination of weather and trips away without the bike, but let's see how it goes

Welcome to the challenge !

It does seem daunting at the beginning but you'll get into a rhythm and it also gets easier when the evenings become lighter.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I will almost certainly not manage all 52 weeks - I have a week in Iceland coming up plus plans for holidays later in the year. I can take my bike with me for the summer hols (caravan) but I won't be cycling in Iceland (more's the pity). However, I have started the challenge as you never know what will happen next.

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
I would love to join in this challenge as it may motivate me to get out on the bike on days when I might otherwise stay in the warm, and am looking to improve my fitness!

Welcome to the challenge !

Yes - I found that last year ... this challenge pushed me outside into the cold and wet when in previous years I'd probably have given it a miss... and after a while, it became 'normal' to go out most days, or even every day of the week.

Top Bottom