Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Great !

Welcome to this year's challenge.

There's no reason why you shouldn't include your half metric century rides in your weekly reports. But it's up you.

Good luck with Week 2 (I think it's going to be wet and windy)

Due to the weather, I got Ride 1 and 2 in yesterday. I am working now, until Saturday night and unsure where I will find the time. I got drenched on ride 1 yesterday and merely soaked on ride 2 :laugh: I will log properly on Sunday, hopefully after ride 3

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was going to go out in a break in the rain earlier today but by the time I got my kit on it was miserable outside again so I didn't bother. The forecast is looking pretty bad the rest of the week too. I'll have to keep a eye on things. It is rare for it rain all day without even a short break.

Alex321

Veteran
I commuted in this morning, and will be changing for the commute home in 2 minutes, so I will only need to get out Friday or Sunday for 30 minutes to complete for this week (I don't get a chance Thursday most weeks, and am Morris Dancing on Saturday this week as well)

FrothNinja

Veteran
I commuted in this morning, and will be changing for the commute home in 2 minutes, so I will only need to get out Friday or Sunday for 30 minutes to complete for this week (I don't get a chance Thursday most weeks, and am Morris Dancing on Saturday this week as well)

Please please tell me there is such a thing as bicycle morris dancing

Alex321

Veteran
Please please tell me there is such a thing as bicycle morris dancing

Unfortunately, not as far as I know.

Given how much your hands are used in Morris, it could be tricky unless you are an expert at riding with no hands on the bars. :wacko:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Managed a 35 minute ride this morning. A bit less than 6 miles. I'd been to the dentist so extended my ride home. I must be very unfit. It was a lot harder than it used to be :sad:

Weather's not looking good for the rest of the week - very windy - but I'll see what I can manage. To be honest based on the last few months one 30 minute ride a week is going to be an achievement!

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Managed a 35 minute ride this morning. A bit less than 6 miles. I'd been to the dentist so extended my ride home. I must be very unfit. It was a lot harder than it used to be :sad:

Weather's not looking good for the rest of the week - very windy - but I'll see what I can manage. To be honest based on the last few months one 30 minute ride a week is going to be an achievement!

Well done for getting out today. Perhaps you should set yourself a target of one ride a week in January – then, when the weather improves, stepping that up to two rides a week?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was going to go out in a break in the rain earlier today but by the time I got my kit on it was miserable outside again so I didn't bother. The forecast is looking pretty bad the rest of the week too. I'll have to keep a eye on things. It is rare for it rain all day without even a short break.

You need a cycling dry robe

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You need a cycling dry robe
Hmm... :whistle:

Even if I had the world's best cycling kit, full mudguards on my bike etc., I still wouldn't like riding in horribly gloomy, damp, slippery conditions. It's just so damn depressing!

But... I did manage to find a 20 minute break in the rain today, followed by 10 minutes of light drizzle. Just enough for my 30 minute, lumpy 8 km singlespeed loop.

I make the ride more difficult by including the following little climbs which take some effort in a 52/19 gear:
  • 100 m @4% (sprint)
  • 250 m @8% (grind)
  • 25 m @12% (sprint)
  • 250 m @7% (grind)
  • 100 m @14% (grind)
  • 100 m @4% (sprint)
The other 7 km or so are an easy spin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom