Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... and constructed haggis noises on my guitar
That's either a very interesting description or auto-correct gone mad! :whistle: :laugh:

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 50 (11th December to 17th December)

Week 50 – ride 1 (Mon) – 1 hr 4 mins – Devison and la Plaisance: on the Princess
Week 50 – ride 2 (Mon) – 49 mins – le Faux, Geffray and SBdM: on the Urban Shaper
Week 50 – ride 3 (Tues) – 42 mins – a Pontmenard loop: on the MASSI
Week 50 – ride 4 (Wed) – 1 hr 16 mins – Esquiniac, Evriguet, Kerminy and SBdM: on the Princess
Week 50 – ride 5 (Wed) – 55 mins – SBdM, la Justice and Pontmenard: on the MASSI

FrothNinja

Veteran
W50R1 - Centurion 30 mins - local miles
W50R2 - Centurion & CX 2hrs 39 mins - Gravel and cycle paths Burnley, Brierfield, Nelson, Barrowford, Colne, Alkincoats, Park, and a bunch of local laps (total 58.8 km / 36.5 miles plus only 656 ft / 200 m ascent)
W50R3 - Centurion 30 mins - local miles
W50R4 - Hybrid 1 hour 16 mins - lightly extended Clarion loop in a total git of a westerly wind (1,375 ft / 419 m ascent)
DSC_0456.JPG

ColinJ

Week 50: 3 qualifying rides, 33 km, 2 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Wed): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. 0.75* hr.
  • Ride 2 (Thu): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. 0.5* hr.
  • Ride 3 (Fri): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. 0.75* hr.
Success rate: 50 weeks out of 50.

165 qualifying rides so far this year, totalling 3,439 km, and taking approximately 213.5 hrs.

* I round the durations to multiples of 15 minutes. Each ride actually took around 40 minutes so I rounded 2 of them up and 1 down.

*** All rides done in 42/15 on 6-er ***

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 51 (18th December to 24th December)

Week 51 – ride 1 (Mon) – 39 mins – a Pontmenard loop: on the MASSI
Week 51 – ride 2 (Tues) – 1 hr 11 mins – Kerminy, Evriguet, la Plaisance and SBdM: on La Rossa
Week 51 – ride 3 (Wed) – 1 hr 7 mins – Devison, SBdM and la Justice: on the RAID
Week 51 – ride 4 (Thurs) – 1 hr 14 mins – le Faux, Geffray, SBdM and la Plaisance: on the Urban Shaper
Week 51 – ride 5 (Fri) – 55 mins – Devison and SBdM: on the RAID

ColinJ

This week could be the one that defeats me! 2 more rides to do in 3 days and the weather forecast for that period is looking bad - very wet and very windy so the roads will be unpleasant and potentially dangerous.

Late evening today looks the best bet for one of the rides - half the wind speed, and showers rather than heavy rain.

If necessary, do one foul weather ride on Saturday or Sunday?

I could resort to doing 20 laps of Todmorden park to escape the traffic but I would rather not. Maybe it IS time to do a towpath ride on the MTB, though I don’t fancy the risk of getting blown off into the canal!!

FrothNinja

Veteran
This week could be the one that defeats me! 2 more rides to do in 3 days and the weather forecast for that period is looking bad - very wet and very windy so the roads will be unpleasant and potentially dangerous.

Late evening today looks the best bet for one of the rides - half the wind speed, and showers rather than heavy rain.

If necessary, do one foul weather ride on Saturday or Sunday?

I could resort to doing 20 laps of Todmorden park to escape the traffic but I would rather not. Maybe it IS time to do a towpath ride on the MTB, though I don’t fancy the risk of getting blown off into the canal!!

Just done my first for the week, so I am in a similar position. I have resorted to my boring local loops that never go more than 5 minutes or so from a house I can dive into if I need a break from the weather. A cuppa and I usually regain the will to keep riding. It's boring in any weather except snow.

FrothNinja

Veteran
I'll endeavour to deliver some Chrimbo cards by bike tomorrow. Start in waterproof jacket and just plug away until I enjoy myself

ColinJ

I keep looking out of the window and thinking... ugh - leave it another hour! :laugh:
I caught a break half an hour after that post and did 2023 night ride #2. The wind had dropped to merely very blustery and the rain to no more than the lightest drizzle. I didn't really enjoy the ride until I walked back into the house, but now I am glad that I made the effort.

ColinJ

Another grotty day weather-wise but a dry spell was forecast for this evening, and so it turned out. Unfortunately, I was waiting for notification that an Amazon Prime delivery of Christmas pressies had arrived at the lockers at Tod station so I might miss my chance to do a dry ride. The local deliveries are normally around 15:00 but obviously there is a big last-minute rush on so it was around 20:00 this time. I went out on my bike to do my lumpy local loop (2023 night ride #3) and called in at the station on the way back. Sure enough, the rain started again while I was out... It wasn't too heavy though so I was like a very damp rat by the time that I got home, rather than a drowned one!

I won't be riding tomorrow; that's my 3 rides done for the week...

Week 51: 3 qualifying rides, 70 km, 4.25 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 50 km. Todmorden, Walsden, Calderbrook, Caldermoor, Littleborough, Calderbrook, Walsden, Lumbutts, Mankinholes, Hebden Bridge, Lumbutts, Walsden, Summit, Walsden, Todmorden. (Not super-hilly, but I still managed to squeeze in about 630 m of ascent.) 3 hrs.
  • Ride 2 (Fri): 9 km. Lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr. (2023 night ride #2)
  • Ride 3 (Sat): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. (2023 night ride #3) 0.75 hr.
Success rate: 51 weeks out of 51.

168 qualifying rides so far this year, totalling 3,509 km, and taking approximately 217.75 hrs.

*** All rides done in 42/15 on 6-er, but used 42/23 and 42/29 for parts of the steepish Lumbutts and Mankinholes climbs on Tue ***

FrothNinja

Veteran
Degree of sameness about this post - felt crap the las few days and did the test this morning. I passed with flying colours - I have Chrimbo covid, so done ok in spite of that I suppose. Random recent pic to add a little variation ^_^
W51R1 - Centurion 32 mins - local miles
W51R2 - Centurion 32 mins - local miles (longest ride)
W51R3 - Centurion 32 mins - local miles (shortest ride)
Cape Gooseberries grown in our garden. I have brought it inside and it is still going!!
DSC_0423.JPG

Top Bottom