Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am booked up for the weekend, so that is my cycling done until Monday...

Week 47: 3 qualifying rides, 38 km, 1.75 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Mon): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr.
  • Ride 2 (Tue): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr.
  • Ride 3 (Fri): 16 km. Flattish loop to Calderbrook in lovely sunny (but COLD, windy) conditions! 0.75 hr.
Success rate: 47 weeks out of 47.

156 qualifying rides so far this year, totalling 3,294 km, and taking approximately 205.75 hrs.

*** All rides done in 42/15 on 6-er ***

FrothNinja

Veteran
I've done 3 but hoping to get a couple more in
Have a pic from today's ride into the edge of @ColinJ country
DSC_0172.JPG

ColinJ

Ah, the junction of Eastwood Rd and Kebs Rd, with Stoodley Pike on the top of the hill in the distance.

I should have got stuck in today but the cold put me off. I definitely feel it more as I get older and lose more weight. I saw a young guy out riding today in thin lycra shorts and a short-sleeved jersey! :eek::wacko:

I fixed my mountain bike today. I don't like muddy conditions so I probably won't be using it offroad much over the winter, but I think that I will use it for its 22/32 bottom gear on the steep roads out of Todmorden to give me a change from endlessly repeating the 'lumpy local loop'!

My guests are not turning up now until 3 pm tomorrow so I might test the new MTB transmission on a ride up to the junction in your photo.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Ah, the junction of Eastwood Rd and Kebs Rd, with Stoodley Pike on the top of the hill in the distance.

I should have got stuck in today but the cold put me off. I definitely feel it more as I get older and lose more weight. I saw a young guy out riding today in thin lycra shorts and a short-sleeved jersey! :eek::wacko:

I fixed my mountain bike today. I don't like muddy conditions so I probably won't be using it offroad much over the winter, but I think that I will use it for its 22/32 bottom gear on the steep roads out of Todmorden to give me a change from endlessly repeating the 'lumpy local loop'!

My guests are not turning up now until 3 pm tomorrow so I might test the new MTB transmission on a ride up to the junction in your photo.

The views are so wide - mind you, you have to work for them.
Presume you will be coming up the right hand road

ColinJ

Presume you will be coming up the right hand road
I go up Cross Stone Rd, then...
  • Hey Head Ln, then Eastwood Rd (RH road) to Kebs Rd. Then...
  • Left, and then left again down to Cornholme, or...
  • Right, down to Blackshaw Head, right again down Davey Ln, Crossley New Rd... back down Cross Stone Rd to Tod.
Or...
  • Up Crossley New Rd, Davey Ln, left in Blackshaw Head, up to Kebs Rd then either...
  • Back via Cornholme, or...
  • Down Eastwood Rd, Hey Head Ln, Cross Stone Rd.
That is when sticking to roads. As you know, there are several off-road options to get back down to the valley!

FrothNinja

Veteran
W47R1 - Centurion 32 mins - local miles
W47R2 - Centurion 34 mins - local miles
W47R3 - Centurion 31 mins - local miles
W47R4 - Hybrid 2 hours 53 mins - Harle Syke, Haggate, Halifax Rd, Thursden gravel, Widdop, south past Pack Horse and Scout hut, water board road to Lower Gorple, over Heptonstall Moor to Egypt, Smithy Lane, Colden, Blackshaw Head (helped male a lady eMTBer's bike safe to roll home), Long Causeway, Mereclough, Worsthorne, Roggerham Gate, Haggate, Nelson, Brierfield, helped a lad called Tony sort his puncture etc out, Burnley (total 56.8 km / 35.3 miles plus 3,694 ft / 1,126 m ascent)
W47R5 - Centurion 32 mins - local miles
231124 33 Reaps, Heptonstall Moor.JPG

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 48 (27th November to 3rd December)

Week 48 – ride 1 (Mon) – 55 mins – a rainy and muddy Devison loop: on the RAID
Week 48 – ride 2 (Tues) – 1 hr 6 mins – Plaisance, SBdM, Geffray, le Faux and la Suais: on the Princess
Week 48 – ride 3 (Wed) – 47 mins – a Pontmenard loop: on the RAID
Week 48 – ride 4 (Wed) – 45 mins – SBdM and la Plaisance: on La Rossa
Week 48 – ride 5 (Thurs) – 1 hr 6 mins – la Justice, SBdM, Geffray, le Faux and la Suais: on the RAID
Week 48 – ride 6 (Fri) – 59 mins – la Justice, SBdM and Devison: on the MASSI
Week 48 – ride 7 (Fri) – 39 mins – Pontmenard and SBdM: on the Princess
Week 48 – ride 8 (Fri) – 40 mins – local lanes: on the RAID

FrothNinja

Veteran
W48R1 - 1 hour 17 mins - Earby, Kelbrook, Foulridge, Blacko, Roughlee, Noggarth, Fence
W48R2 - 1 hour 11 mins - Fence, The Ridge, Black Hill, White Hill, Black Hill, Sabden, Nick Of Pendle, Black Hill, The Ridge, Wheatley Lane, Fence
W48R3 - Centurion 35 mins - local miles
W48R4 - Centurion 51 mins - local miles
W48R5 - à pied coz I had to be family taxi c50 mins - Clarion loop
DSC_0209.JPG

ColinJ

Week 48: 3 qualifying rides, 77 km, 4 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 13 km. Extended lumpy local loop. 0.75 hr.
  • Ride 2 (Wed): 50 km. Flattish A-road ride to avoid ice in very cold conditions. A646 to Burnley and back; A6033 to Littleborough and back; A646 halfway to Hebden Bridge and back. 2.5 hrs.
  • Ride 3 (Fri): 14 km. Another ice-dodger... One small local hill then A6033 to The Summit at the summit at Summit, then u-turn and back home! 0.75 hr.
Success rate: 48 weeks out of 48.

159 qualifying rides so far this year, totalling 3,371 km, and taking approximately 209.75 hrs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 49 (4th December to 10th December)

Week 49 – ride 1 (Mon) – 55 mins – la Plaisance and SBdM: on the Princess
Week 49 – ride 2 (Mon) – 1 hr 1 min – Devison and SBdM: on the MASSI
Week 49 – ride 3 (Tues) – 1 hr 11 mins – Kerminy, Evriguet, la Plaisance and SBdM: on La Rossa
Week 49 – ride 4 (Tues) – 35 mins – local lanes: on the RAID
Week 49 – ride 5 (Tues) – 50 mins – le Faux, Geffray and SBdM: on the MASSI
Week 49 – ride 6 (Wed) – 1 hr 6 mins – Esquiniac, les Fougerets, Geffray and Devison: on the RAID
Week 49 – ride 7 (Wed) – 42 mins – la Plaisance and SBdM: on La Rossa

Gwylan

Veteran
Do a minimum of three outdoor rides per week for each week of the year. Indoor rides do not qualify.

Each ride to last a minimum of 30 minutes. It’s preferable that each of the three rides takes place on a different day of the week – but that’s not mandatory (two rides on the same day will qualify – but they must be distinctly separate rides).

Try and post in this thread at least once a week if you can – ride details to include week#, ride#, day, length of time on the bike – plus a ride description (if you want). Photos welcome!

Week 1 starts on Sunday 1st January 2023 and runs to Sunday 8th January. Thereafter each week will run from Monday to Sunday (so Week 2 will be 9th January to 15th January – and Week 52 from 25th December to 31st December).

Start by posting your Week 1 rides below … and good luck!

I'll wait for 2024 then. Bit of a strain to try and catch up now

ColinJ

Week 49: 3 qualifying rides, 35 km, 1.75 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 11 km. Extended lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr.
  • Ride 2 (Wed): 13 km. Extended lumpy local loop. 0.75 hrs.
  • Ride 3 (Fri): 11 km. My only night ride of the year (?) - to avoid days of rain! Mainly halfway to Hebden Bridge on A646 and back, then a bit extra out on the A6033 and back. 0.5 hr.
Success rate: 49 weeks out of 49.

162 qualifying rides so far this year, totalling 3,406 km, and taking approximately 211.5 hrs.

ColinJ

Having to cram the rides in, not going to be very enjoyable either, just boring local stuff
I know that feeling! Next year, I will try to be more ambitious. More longer, more interesting rides.

It might not happen, but I am thinking of buying a folding bike so I can get to places by bus and tram.

For example, I am particularly interested in the tram from Manchester Victoria to Altrincham. That would make Cheshire rides a possibility without having to ride in and out of Manchester.

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
W49R1 - Centurion 30 mins - local miles
W49R2 - Centurion 45 mins - local miles
W49R3 - Centurion 33 mins - local miles
Weather is clearing up a bit so I may go out later
Pic is from an excursion on the coast near Maryport that didn't hit the half hour - the snow topped hill is Criffel
DSC_0370 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom