Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tomorrow will be decisive for me... I have done a couple of rides this week and wanted to get my third in today but the rain has been relentless so I haven't bothered to. I am booked up Saturday and Sunday so I will be away from my bike. I will have to get up an hour early tomorrow and squeeze a 30 minute ride in first. At least the forecast is ok.

FrothNinja

Veteran
A decent ride at last :hyper:
W40R1 - Centurion 5 speed 31 mins - local miles
W40R2 - Centurion 5 speed 33 mins - local miles
W40R3 - Hybrid 3 hours 1 min - Brierfield, Wheatley Lane, Noggarth, Roughlee, Clarion, Roughlee, Stang Top, Twiston, Downham, Worston, Barrow, Wiswell, Whalley, Old Langho, Billington, Portfield, Sabden, the Ridge, Croft Top, Wheatley Lane, Fence, Burnley (total 60.5 km / 37.6 miles plus 3,381 ft / 1,030 m ascent)
DSC_9693.JPG

Worston today - will be trying to add a pic to my weekly summary for the rest of the year

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 41 (9th October to 15th October)

Week 41 – ride 1 (Mon) – 51 mins – Devison and SBdM: on the Princess
Week 41 – ride 2 (Mon) – 38 mins – local lanes: on the RAID
Week 41 – ride 3 (Mon) – 47 mins – a Pontmenard loop: also on the RAID
Week 41 – ride 4 (Tues) – 45 mins – Devison and SBdM: on the Urban Shaper
Week 41 – ride 5 (Tues) – 1hr 59 mins – Mauron, Grancastel, Mauron: on La Rossa

ColinJ

Week 40: 3 qualifying rides, 33 km, 1.5 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Wed): 11 km. Slightly extended lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr.
  • Ride 2 (Thu): 11 km. Slightly extended lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr.
  • Ride 3 (Sat): 11 km. Slightly extended lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr.
Success rate: 40 weeks out of 40.

133 qualifying rides so far this year, totalling 2,895 km, and taking approximately 180.25 hrs.

*** Rides done in 42/15 gear on 6-er ***

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
W41R1 - Centurion 5 speed 31 mins - local miles
W41R2 - Hybrid 1 hours 53 mins - Burnley, Brunshaw, Long Causeway, Coal Clough Windfarm, Pennine Bridleway, Shedden Heys, Hurstwood MTB track, Worsthorne, Rogerham Gate, Haggate, Quaker Bridge, Fence, Burnley
W41R3 - Hybrid 1 hours 16 mins - Burnley, Briercliffe, Haggate, Thursden Valley, Coldwell, Trawden Clarion, Walton's Summit, Southfield, Nelson, Barrowford, Quaker Bridge, Burnley
DSC_9773.JPG

ColinJ

Week 41: 4 qualifying rides, 132 km, 9 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 50 km. Lanes between Crediton, Thorverton and Upton Pyne. 3.25 hrs.
  • Ride 2 (Wed): 15 km. (Was going to repeat yesterday's '50' but punctured on a thorn from Devon hedge flailing and then rain started so cut ride short.) Lanes between Crediton, Shobrooke and Sweetham. 1.0 hr.
  • Ride 3 (Fri): 36 km. Lanes between Crediton, Thorverton and Upton Pyne. 2.5 hrs.
  • Ride 4 (Sun): 31 km. Crediton, Fordton, stiff climb to Bowlish, descent to Nadderwater/Exwick (Exeter), Upton Pyne, Shute, Shobrooke, Crediton. 2.25 hrs.
Success rate: 41 weeks out of 41.

137 qualifying rides so far this year, totalling 3,027 km, and taking approximately 189.25 hrs.

*** Rides done on 1x11 Devon bike ***

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 42 (16th October to 22nd October)

Week 42 – ride 1 (Mon) – 46 mins – SBdM, Geffray and le Faux: on the Princess
Week 42 – ride 2 (Mon) – 39 mins – a Pontmenard loop: on the Urban Shaper
Week 42 – ride 3 (Tues) – 47 mins – a Devison loop with some off-roading: on the MASSI
Week 42 – ride 4 (Tues) – 1 hr 25 mins – Plaisance, SBdM, Kerminy, Evriguet, Bourg Neuf and Esquiniac: on the Princess
Week 42 – ride 5 (Wed) – 45 mins – SBdM, Devison and Pontmenard: on the MASSI. Out early this morning in the teeth of Storm Babet – very wet and very very windy .. but at least it wasn’t cold.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Week 42 (16th October to 22nd October)

Week 42 – ride 1 (Mon) – 46 mins – SBdM, Geffray and le Faux: on the Princess
Week 42 – ride 2 (Mon) – 39 mins – a Pontmenard loop: on the Urban Shaper
Week 42 – ride 3 (Tues) – 47 mins – a Devison loop with some off-roading: on the MASSI
Week 42 – ride 4 (Tues) – 1 hr 25 mins – Plaisance, SBdM, Kerminy, Evriguet, Bourg Neuf and Esquiniac: on the Princess
Week 42 – ride 5 (Wed) – 45 mins – SBdM, Devison and Pontmenard: on the MASSI. Out early this morning in the teeth of Storm Babet – very wet and very very windy .. but at least it wasn’t cold.

Windy as heck here, but dry until dusk

ColinJ

Week 42: 4 qualifying rides, 96 km, 7.5 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 11 km. Lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr.
  • Ride 2 (Wed): 9 km. Shortened lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr.
  • Ride 3 (Thu): 11 km. Lumpy local loop. 0.5 hr.
  • Ride 4 (Sun): 65 km. Hilly forum ride. Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Sowerby Bridge, Barkisland, Scammonden, Booth Wood, Hubberton Green, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden. 6.0 hrs.
Success rate: 42 weeks out of 42.

141 qualifying rides so far this year, totalling 3,123 km, and taking approximately 196.75 hrs.

*** Tue/Wed/Thu rides done in 42/15 on 6-er; Sun ride using triple gears on CAAD5 ***

FrothNinja

Veteran
W42R1 - Centurion 5 speed 45 mins - local miles
W42R2 - Hybrid 2 hours 20 mins - return run from work (Preston) on Friday into the teeth of Babet
W42R3 - Centurion 5 speed 36 mins - local miles
DSC_9797a.JPG

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 43 (22nd October to 29th October)

Week 43 – ride 1 (Mon) – 58 mins – la Ville Briend, le Faux and la Suais: on the RAID
Week 43 – ride 2 (Mon) – 47 mins – local lanes: also on the RAID
Week 43 – ride 3 (Tues) – 1 hr 1 min – Plaisance, SBdM and Devison: on the Urban Shaper
Week 43 – ride 4 (Tues) – 37 mins – a Pontmenard loop in the rain: on the RAID
Week 43 – ride 5 (Wed) – 52 mins – local lanes: on the MASSI
Week 43 – ride 6 (Wed) – 44 mins – SBdM and Pontmenard: on the Urban Shaper

October has proved to be a difficult month on the bike. I’ve had lots of other things to do and the weather has conspired against me as well. I’ve been trying to salvage something and I have got all five bikes over 100km for the month (so I’ve managed that all 10 months of 2023) – and two of the five bikes have reached their monthly minimum (and one has reached their monthly stretch). Now it’s just a case of trying to do as much as possible over the next six days.

My thoughts are starting to turn to 2024 and I’m pondering a new approach to challenges and targets. I won’t do this challenge next year .. unless we can agree to make it harder (and I’m fairly sure neither of you are keen on that). I’ll definitely do the Lunacy Distance challenge .. but I’m not sure about the HMCAM one.

I have so many half-started cycling projects that I’d like to get back to .. but grinding out 30km every day of the year (in order to reach targets) constantly deflects me from those. I’ll give it all much more consideration in December.

Anyone else thinking about next year?

ColinJ

My thoughts are starting to turn to 2024 and I’m pondering a new approach to challenges and targets. I won’t do this challenge next year .. unless we can agree to make it harder (and I’m fairly sure neither of you are keen on that). I’ll definitely do the Lunacy Distance challenge .. but I’m not sure about the HMCAM one.
When I first saw this challenge, my first thought was that it was an unchallenging challenge!

But then I thought about it and realised how inconsistent my cycling is... There were times in the past when I didn't cycle at all in Dec, Jan and Feb. 3 x 30 minutes per week would be a big improvement on nothing! And it is working for me... Even when I haven't felt well, felt lacking in motivation, or the weather has been bad, I have managed to drag myself out and do the qualifying rides on my bike.

You will notice that an awful lot of those rides have been on what I call my 'lumpy local loop'. That is something that I can do in my 42/15 gear but is hard enough to make it worthwhile. I usually do it as a more interesting way of going out for a paper and/or to the shops. I can walk to my local Aldi or Lidl and back in much less than half an hour but doing a 30 minute ride is more fun.

That fits in well with the local terrain and roads. The trouble is that I only have a choice of the busy valley roads or very steep climbs to quieter hilltop roads. I don't really enjoy doing long rides on the busy roads, and often I don't fancy the steep climbs. Short rides mean short distances on the busy roads, and short distances on small quiet hills/backstreets.

I can always add distance/severity if I really want to, but I know that there would be weeks when I wouldn't want to so if the target became (say) 3 x 1 hour rides a week it would no longer work for me.

Anyone else thinking about next year?
I am thinking of it, but don't know what to do.

What I would really like to do is to get my CAADX sorted out. It needs a fork replacement by Cannondale (there is a safety recall notice on it but I haven't found a local dealer to do it for me) and then I would fit a set of powercranks given to me by my cousin. After that I would try to make one of my weekly rides the 9 km Cragg Vale climb. I would measure my average power up the climb and try to improve on that as the weeks passed. That would rally spice up my 3-30+-mins-a-week challenge!

I have gone right off the boil with other challenges. I will have to have a good think about them...

OP
OP
bluenotebob

bluenotebob

Veteran
Thanks for replying, @ColinJ

If this challenge has got you out of the house and on your bike when previously you’d have stayed inside in the warm – watching TV or whatever – then that’s great. I read somewhere that fear of failure is one of the most powerful motivating factors .. and this challenge has an edge over other CC challenges in that there’s simply no let-up. You have to keep going if you want to avoid the ignominy of letting yourself down and failing to complete all 52 weeks.

When Ming started this challenge back in Jan 2022, I joined up as I thought it would give me a little extra push to keep me going in Jan/Feb – and it did. But for most of the year, it’s just downright tedious reporting the rides each week. I have no difficulty in doing the rides 52 weeks a year so it doesn’t represent a challenge to me at all.

From March to September there are about 80/100 hours of daylight a week (I think) and to only commit to doing a minimal 1.5% of that on your bike – as a single retired cyclist – seems really unchallenging.

Your comments about terrain and choice of rides .. I guess I’m fortunate in that, within 150m of home, I’m in open countryside with lots of quiet and fairly undemanding route options. I also have a choice of five newish and well-maintained bikes so I can vary my rides depending on local conditions .. weather, time available, whether the local chasse is active etc.

I don’t understand why you aren’t on the local canal more often .. is that because your MTB is out of action again? Is that the CAADX you refer to above?

In terms of making this challenge a bit more difficult .. well, there’s time to consider some options … and some input from @FrothNinja would be nice.

One possibility I was pondering yesterday (as I was splashing through puddles) is a ‘Lunacy Weekly Distance’ challenge. Set yourself a minimum weekly distance and either do it as one ride or as a combination. I had a quick look back through my rides this year and my ‘worst week’ was 119km. I’d be happy to set something like 125km as an absolute weekly minimum for 2024.

The attraction of this is that, as with the Lunacy challenges, you set your own target .. but of course, that’s where the comparison ends as ‘13’ doesn’t feature. It might also attract a bit more interest/entrants from within the forum.

On the subject of Lunacy challenges, I’ll create the 2024 Lunacy Distance challenge thread at the end of this year (if you don’t have any objection) and I’ll try to make it a bit more distinctive from the Lunacy Climbing challenge.

Also on Lunacy Distance targets .. I’ve never understood why you set yourself a 100km target – why not go for something a bit more achievable – such as 70km? And if you succeed at that, step it up to 80km the year after. Get yourself back into the habit of doing 13 decent (and mostly solo) distance rides between March and September. Just a thought…

Anyway, I’m pleased that you replied and that this 3 x 30 mins a week challenge has been worthwhile for you in 2023.

FrothNinja

Veteran
@bluenotebob @ColinJ
Like Col I have found the challenge gets me out when I don't want to. I too, would find making the challenge harder an issue. Putting the rides up weekly has also been a useful discipline, though I don't particularly enjoy it.
I fit my cycling around work and family so changing the format too much would be problematic. My minimum distance in a week would be about 50 km / 33 miles. I think I would struggle to increase it year on year. Next year I suspect I will start to have issues with upping the Lunacy challenges.
My equivalent of 'lumpy local loop' is mostly local roads and towpath which I do on the bike I had at uni or one of my other old bikes like the Folda. I do the longer rides (15+ miles) on the CX or the hybrid as our locale is quite lumpy too - easy to do 1000 ft in 15 miles.
Interesting you mention riding solo. My rides with other people barely scrape into the double figures per annum, though those rides are usually over 50 km / 33 miles.
Probably wrong, but if we have 3 finishers this year it will be a 50% increase on 2022 ^_^ I am glad that you have both stuck with the challenge this year. It has been good riding along with you, albeit vicariously.
PS - the thing that makes this challenge unique is that it is time based. I suspect it is also what makes it so hard for most folks to complete.

Last edited:
Top Bottom