Three Strange Things Related to The Current 100 Mile Time Trial Record ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anthony.R.Brown

Ok the first Strange thing if you look at the 100 TT time results below then A Wild's Time is slower than M Bialoblock's ?
Shown in the link...

100 Miles

2020 A Wild GS Metro 03:28:50
2019 M Bialoblocki NOPINZ 03:24:55

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/147

The Second Strange thing...

Below it says

What about Marcin Bialoblocki’s 3:13:37 competition record, is it achievable?

Where is this Time ? in the Records link above article below...

https://www.veloveritas.co.uk/2020/09/15/adam-wild-sep20/

And the Third Strange thing! concerns "The King of TT Alf Engers"

The RTTC’s response was immediate, a rule was rushed through, the jist of which was that the brakes have to be operable from the ‘normal riding position.

Photo shown below Alf Engers Banned - Hidden Brake Levers

But if you look at the Photo's I have posted below it shows clearly on Adam-Wild's bike that when he is using the bottom handle bar position then his brakes are also Not! operable from the ‘normal riding position ?

So why is his bike Not Banned! ?

https://www.veloveritas.co.uk/2010/12/01/alf-engers-part-ii-the-record-or-i-can-go-fast-if-its-easy/

Last edited:
I can't even SEE the brake levers! Got a different pic?

midlife

Guru
Have the rules changed over the years about brake levers? I'm sure that the elbows on the rests would have contravened the 3 points of contact rule from BITD?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Just like my other thread below a lot of these TT Rules need to be looked at! :sad:

Change The Time Trialling Records Rules - Because of the 7 km+ / 8 minute+ Advantage!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/c...ecause-of-the-7-km-8-minute-advantage.272853/

Not only the use of Modern Technology as a massive advantage compared to the riders in Alf Engers day,but now it looks like they are making a mockery of the so called TT Safety rules! :sad:

The RTTC had something personal against Alf and now it looks like anything goes! :sad:

There is a Big difference in "the brakes have to be operable from the ‘normal riding position." and what A.Wild is using,if those little blob's on the end of the bars ? really are the brake levers ? then the next thing is are they actually safe! because I am sure there cannot not be enough leverage in them to stop like normal levers! ? Ok maybe a short rolling speed...but what about steaming down a hill at some crazy speed! ?

The current CTT regulation about brakes is worded differently- I don't follow these sort of issues in any detail so I don't know when the change was made.

"(a) Brake levers must be secured to the handlebars in such a position as to enable the competitor to readily apply both brakes whilst holding the handlebars at their widest point. The width of handlebars shall be no less than 35 cms."

classic33

Leg End Member
Just like my other thread below a lot of these TT Rules need to be looked at! :sad:

Change The Time Trialling Records Rules - Because of the 7 km+ / 8 minute+ Advantage!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/c...ecause-of-the-7-km-8-minute-advantage.272853/

Not only the use of Modern Technology as a massive advantage compared to the riders in Alf Engers day,but now it looks like they are making a mockery of the so called TT Safety rules! :sad:

The RTTC had something personal against Alf and now it looks like anything goes! :sad:

There is a Big difference in "the brakes have to be operable from the ‘normal riding position." and what A.Wild is using,if those little blob's on the end of the bars ? really are the brake levers ? then the next thing is are they actually safe! because I am sure there cannot not be enough leverage in them to stop like normal levers! ? Ok maybe a short rolling speed...but what about steaming down a hill at some crazy speed! ?
What about Eugene Christophe?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
What about Eugene Christophe?
I don't think he ever rode under RTTC rules ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
OK got that pic...I have made the Original better below...

So are Adam Wilds Brake levers legal! ?

View attachment 583420

CTTC Regulations

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/11

14. Competitor's Machine
Every competitor must ensure that his machine is so constructed, equipped and maintained as to be capable of being ridden on the road safely at all times and in all conditions. The riding position shall be set so that the competitor has good forward vision when in a competitive position. In particular but without prejudice to the general principles of this regulation:

(a) Brake levers must be secured to the handlebars in such a position as to enable the competitor to readily apply both brakes whilst holding the handlebars at their widest point. The width of handlebars shall be no less than 35 cms.

(b) On tricycles and tandem tricycles, two brakes may operate on the front wheel but otherwise the braking systems must operate independently on both front and rear wheels.

(c) Bicycles with a fixed wheel shall have a left hand threaded locking device securing the fixed sprocket. Similarly, tricycles with a fixed wheel shall have a suitable locking device or alternatively shall include an integral system as part of the design. Machines with fixed wheel require only a brake operating on the front wheel(s).

(d) Machines fitted with triathlon handlebars and derivations thereof which have forearm supports, or Spinacci type handlebars without forearm supports, may be used provided that when the rider adopts a competitive position on these bars:

(i) The wrists are no lower than the elbows.
(ii) The height from the ground to the forearm resting position is no less than 80% of the height of the saddle from the ground.

(e) Tyres shall be in good condition and tubular tyres shall be securely attached to the rims.

(f) Disc wheels or spoked wheels fitted with covers may be used only on the rear of a machine.

(g) Deep section rims, tri-spoke and wheels of a similar design may be used. The front wheel must have at least 45% of the surface area open.

(h) The use of recumbent machines, protective shields or windbreaks is prohibited.

(i) No competitor shall be permitted to start either a Type A or Type B event unless such competitor has affixed to the rear of their machine a working rear red light, either flashing or constant, that is illuminated and in a position that is clearly visible to other road users.

N.B. The Board considers that use of the so called “tuck” and “superman” positions would be a breach of the opening paragraph of this Regulation and that such use is not in the best interests of the safety of riders or the welfare of the sport.
N.B. Para-cyclists who are unable to ride a machine that complies with this regulation shall apply to Board for dispensation.
He's in breach of the wrists being lower than his elbows.

OP
OP
Anthony.R.Brown

Anthony.R.Brown

He's not on the aero bit yet, elbows not on the rests?

Exactely! :sad:

Seems to me that the Aero position breaks every rule in the book! except for the "Ive Got More Money Than Sense! And I will Keep Buying And Using These Unsafe Bars Until I Kill Myself Or Another Rider! Meanwhile I am Making Companies That Manufacture Them into Millionaires!!!" :sad:

Top Bottom