Through Axles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've no real idea about the technical aspects of TAs. My bikes came equipped with them and I find them far easier to use than a QR.

Three of mine have handles and are very easy to use. The fourth needs a 6mm Allen key, as I discovered on the roadside! A multi-tool will do the job but a full size Allen key is better. One now lives in my saddlebag.

Quite why Kinesis chose to mix and match is something I haven't fretted over.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm not really in disagreement with the stiffness bit, but I've yet to see empirical evidence of a performance improvement in either cornering or braking.

As for wheels falling off...that's purely operator error. When I was an MTB trainer the first thing any of my students were drilled to do was their pre ride checks. A diligent rider then knows before they even swing a leg over the bike that they have a problem. The issue is not with the equipment, but that most riders simply are not diligent when it comes to their pre ride prep.

Off road we thrashed them about as youd expect. Then as part of the defensive tactics syllabus we quite literally were throwing bikes at each other, and trying to grab them off each other by the wheel (the rider holding the bike in a fend off position, presenting the wheel as the nearest target for the aggressor to grab) and in 17 years of delivering such training no one lost a wheel.

I don't really have a downer on thru axle, my latest Trek has it and it rides without issue, but I do call into question the validity and certainty the magnitude of some of the supposed benefits. It sounds more to me like the marketing spiel has in most cases been swallowed as gospel with little in the way of critical analysis by consumers.

It was happening in races, especially downhill, over 20 years* ago. The first ones were 20mm derived from junior MX but developed into a flurry of sizes before settling on 15 mm diameter and a nice selection of lengths and standards.

* over 20 years old being seen as brand new unproven technology to your average CCer.

D

Deleted member 121159

There are 'innovations' which I dislike and think unnecessary for most like fully internal cable routing and a million types of BB. But hydraulic disk brakes and thru-axles are actually useful innovations. Everyone knows rim brakes don't work. If you disagree, you simple haven't tried the cheapest hydraulic disk. Thru-axles are just superior to qr levers. Not surprising because qr is a century old technology! Debate over.

Gwylan

Veteran
Through axle on one of my bikes has a handle on it so no allen key required.

View attachment 701612

Does it have a little sign saying "turn this way to steal me"?

Top Bottom