"Throwing" your bike at the line

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
As the rider has a greater mass than the bike it should move forward slightly rather than them moving backwards, force and reaction and all that.

Gains a few cm which may be the difference between winning and coming second.

Keith Oates

Janner
I've never 'thrown the bike' to finish a race so can't say how much you gain by it. However I have noticed that after 'honking' up a hill when I sit down, by moving my weight and backside back to the seat, the bike briefly picks up a little speed. Could be a similar affect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christopher

Über Member
It HAS made the difference in a few extremely close finishes, London-Holyhead and Paris-Roubaix (1995?) to name but two...

Globalti

Legendary Member
All they are doing is altering the configuration of rider above bike in the hope that their front wheel will cross the line half an inch in front of the next man's. The overall speed of bike and rider doesn't change.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You'll gain up to 6 inches, always assuming the other bloke doesn't do the same.
If they took the time off the rider, rather than his bike, there wouldn't be any point in it.

You get the same effect in reverse if you are too close behind on a climb, and the bloke in front suddenly gets out the saddle.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I came within inches of throwing my bike on the line. It was an autumn afternoon, one Sunday many moons ago. We had a hard ride to Winters Hill and on the way back stopped at a shop in Wigan for snacks. THe shop was next to a railway bridge and I felt I could not go on so I picked up my bike and ...
I did eventually 'calm down' after a snack and we rode home!

Top Bottom