Thrown off of the bus.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Isn't there though?

It's those jumped up little buggers that p*ss me off too! Think they know the rules and they don't. France is full of bureaucratic nonsense and you find many of these 'make it up as they go along' power crazed individuals. In all walks of life too, not just government offices. Give someone a green flag and a high-viz jacket and they're suddenly masters of the universe.

They love to exercise their authority and you can't argue with them. They know that. They may be wrong but they have the flag that says you have to listen to them. Crushing bores to a man... does my head in.

...and breath :smile:

Or sometimes even if they do! On my recent trip to East Anglia, I wasn't allowed to board the outward train because I had to be there five minutes early to get installed in the proper van (I didn't know this, of course, having booked online), and I'd only arrived four minutes early. I had to stand there for four minutes watching this train I wanted to be on - and could have been on - sitting at the platform, before it slowly chugged away.

I wasn't going to make the same mistake on the way back, so I got there in time to push my bike all the way up to the front of the train. No special van! They'd decided on this train to put it at the arse end! So I turn round, to face 100 metres of 20 metre-wide platform, completely empty of people, and start to ride back. "Hey!" comes from behind me. "No cycling on the platform!" Bugger that, thinks I. Damned if I'm going to risk missing another train. And there's no one within 80 metres of me. "I'll take my chances," I call back. The guy goes mental, starts yelling and screaming at me....and sure enough, by the time I've gone half the platform, that adenoidal voice we all know starts droning over the intercom: "Passengers are reminded that it is not permitted..."

Twats. When will these saddle-sniffers learn to distinguish between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law, recognise that the laws are there to serve the interests of the people, not to add the thrill of authority to their sad little lives, and understand the key skill for any public servant of knowing when and how to turn a blind eye.

yello

[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1317978321' post='1872180']When will these saddle-sniffers learn to distinguish between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law, recognise that the laws are there to serve the interests of the people, not to add the thrill of authority to their sad little lives, and understand the key skill for any public servant of knowing when and how to turn a blind eye.[/quote]

Ah, swee'pea, you've made me feel all warm inside - a kindred soul! :thumbsup:

On another subject: legal tender and contracts of sale...

I think if you have a publicly visible tariff (ie price labels) and someone offers legal tender, you have to accept the contract of sale (I think)

Not sure, but I seem to recall that a price ticket is simply an invitation for someone to make an offer to buy ('invitation to treat' is the term that I remember). The seller can either accept or decline that offer, that's their choice, but I believe they have to accept legal tender if it's offered in payment. By contrast, they don't have to accept conch shells, beads, garden gnomes or whatever in payment.

siadwell

Guru
Yeah I know what you mean but I think if you have a publicly visible tariff (ie price labels) and someone offers legal tender, you have to accept the contract of sale (I think).

A price label is an "invitation to treat" - it is not an offer, but an indication of a person's willingness to negotiate a contract. A deal has not been done until both sides agree to it.

There have been cases recently where online retailers have mispriced things and even though people have ordered at that price, the retailer is within their rights to refuse the sale.

Pubs are a bit of an oddity. They are, despite being called a public house, private premises so the landlord has the right to invoke "my gaff, my rules" and eject you for no particular reason. Up to a certain point, anyway: a pre-op transexual won a discrimination case recently because the landlord barred them from his pub for using the ladies' loo.

Facilities for Cyclists
Aberdeenshire Council and Stagecoach Bluebird Bus Service are working together to provide a number of free bike bags on Royal Deeside bus services between Braemar and Aberdeen as part of an initial trial throughout the summer of 2011. The bags are heavy-duty polythene bags that will protect the bike and the bus and will be used to store bikes in the boot space.
But that's ......

....................... no, it can't be! ...............

a service? :eek:

Ach - that's me being cynical; love the Hebden Bridger services - bike on the bus rack up the hill, and "cycle" down hill ;)

Top Bottom