Thru axle position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWM

Hi All

I have thru axles on my Genesis Equilibrium Disc. When the front one is tightened the correct amount, the lever on the true axle points forwards. As well as not being aesthetically pleasing I guess there is a risk it could catch on something. Is there a way of adjusting this? Looking at pictures online, some thru axles appears to allow some adjustment of the final lever position, but I cannot see anyway of doing it with mine.

I plan to look at it again tonight and will try and take some pictures.

Cheers

Dave

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hi All

I have thru axles on my Genesis Equilibrium Disc. When the front one is tightened the correct amount, the lever on the true axle points forwards. As well as not being aesthetically pleasing I guess there is a risk it could catch on something. Is there a way of adjusting this? Looking at pictures online, some thru axles appears to allow some adjustment of the final lever position, but I cannot see anyway of doing it with mine.

Cheers

Dave
Seems unlikely that you couldn't adjust it, most do. DT Swiss RWS axles on my Litespeed, they have plenty of scope for adjusting the lever position. Does the lever not push in once you've got the axle tight? When you push it in, you should be able to do so from any angle.

Hi All

Cheers

Dave

Show us a photo of the threaded side of the fork and the lever side of the axle.

Further, don't worry about any through axle or QR lever that points forward. The "theory" that it could hook on something and cause the wheel to come off and make you fall is silly. Anything that close to your wheel will make you fall. It'll catch on your handlebars or crank in anyway. The type of force required to open those things is greater than the force required to push you off your bike. If it points forwards or backwards and hits an obstacle, you are coming off. Period.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DWM

Thanks both for your comments.

Show us a photo of the threaded side of the fork and the lever side of the axle.

I will take some photos tonight.

Further, don't worry about any through axle or QR lever that points forward. The "theory" that it could hook on something and cause the wheel to come off and make you fall is silly. Anything that close to your wheel will make you fall. It'll catch on your handlebars or crank in anyway. The type of force required to open those things is greater than the force required to push you off your bike. If it points forwards or backwards and hits an obstacle, you are coming off. Period.

I don't disagree with this. It still looks awful though!

Cheers

Dave

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I thought my Specialized was the same until I realised I could pull the lever out and twist it to what position I want and release. It feels like it is on a spring.

I thought they were all adjustable once they had been tightened up correctly.

The ones on my Trek are like yours - do them up tight enough and then pull and spin the lever until it points in your favourite direction and then release.

I thought they were all adjustable once they had been tightened up correctly.

The ones on my Trek are like yours - do them up tight enough and then pull and spin the lever until it points in your favourite direction and then release.

There are some pretty primitive ones out there. The only solution in that case is to try a few different axles. Since the start thread and lever position is random, you may be lucky to find one that stops where you want it to stop.

OP
OP
D

DWM

It turns out it can be adjusted, although it seems a little crude.

upload_2019-3-15_7-29-56.png

The axle has to be removed, and then the position of the threaded part can be moved.

upload_2019-3-15_7-31-19.png

It involved a bit of trail and error, but I got it in the right place eventually.

Cheers

Dave

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's about right. The Rockshox through axels do allow the lever to be moved. The only thing is, they are made of cheese, so you have to be careful.

OP
OP
D

DWM

That's rather elegant, actually.

Maybe crude wasn't the best word to use. It seems less sophisticated/more fiddly than the axles that can be adjusted in-situ, but certainly does the job.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom