Thule Bike carrier - anything missing??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Greetings all,
I bought this secondhand today http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1310/928691316_4346699a7e.jpg

and have fitted it in what looks like the correct way but I was hoping that someone who has one might take a squint at it and tell me,
a. Whether 2 strap hooks to the to the top of the hatchback and 2 to the bottom is correct' and
b. Am I missing ang critical bits.
I ask because although its tight up and down, it's less so from side to side.
I'd hate to lose a couple of bikes on the M6 tomorrow...:thumbsup: and I've not used one of these before
Any comments gratefully received -

Thanks, Bob

gbyers

Try this link

http://www.thule.com/Thule/Page____2221.aspx

You'll find fitting instructions for current models and some older ones. Downloadable in pdf format.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks for that! Tried them all but no luck, unfortunately there is no model number on mine. However there seems to be no horizontal securing straps on any of them so I seem to be on the right track

Big T

Guru
Looks Ok to me.

I have a similar rack, though it's a Paddy Hopkirk not a Thule. Make sure the straps are tight both before and after you've loaded the bikes on. You'll need something to secure each bike to the rack - luggage strap or toe strap. Keep an eye on it as you are driving along and if it moves around excessively, stop and tighten the straps. I wouldn't put any more than 2 bikes on it. I usually only carry one. I put the other inside the car with the rear seats folded down.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks Big T. Can't see me carrying more that one at a time. Those strap buckles look a bit iffy but I wrapped them round a tree branch and hung from them - they didnt slip - I weigh ( slightly ) more than my bike so thats OK. I'll take your advice and check now and again during the journey. Regards Bob

Top Bottom