Thumbs up for the Gore Phantom jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Bought myself a Gore Phantom SO jacket recently having spotted a link in the 'bargain' thread at the top of this section, and have to say I'm impressed – it's the first Gore product I've ever bought, and have found it to be well made, fit well and above all Gore's 'Windstopper' technology seems to do the trick!

It's been chilly this week, and according to my Garmin it hit 0°C on my commute this morning – yesterday was 'only' 1°C :cold: – yet with only a base layer and bib shorts underneath the jacket, I was pleasantly surprised to be warm enough (had leg warmers and gloves on too of course).

I hadn't come across The Gore Store before until I read that post, but am delighted with my purchase and will definitely buy from them again. I had missed the fact that they have a "TGStore Promise" whereby you can send garments back to them for professional cleaning and re-proofing, and as an existing customer it only costs the postage. Not bad at all!

There still seem to be some Phantom SO Jackets left, so check them out if you haven't already... well worth it in my very humble opinion :thumbsup:

Grayduff

Über Member
Bought myself a Gore Phantom SO jacket recently having spotted a link in the 'bargain' thread at the top of this section, and have to say I'm impressed – it's the first Gore product I've ever bought, and have found it to be well made, fit well and above all Gore's 'Windstopper' technology seems to do the trick!

It's been chilly this week, and according to my Garmin it hit 0°C on my commute this morning – yesterday was 'only' 1°C :cold: – yet with only a base layer and bib shorts underneath the jacket, I was pleasantly surprised to be warm enough (had leg warmers and gloves on too of course).

I hadn't come across The Gore Store before until I read that post, but am delighted with my purchase and will definitely buy from them again. I had missed the fact that they have a "TGStore Promise" whereby you can send garments back to them for professional cleaning and re-proofing, and as an existing customer it only costs the postage. Not bad at all!

There still seem to be some Phantom SO Jackets left, so check them out if you haven't already... well worth it in my very humble opinion :thumbsup:
+1 from me also, saw the link and ordered, hove worn a few times and it is brilliant...:thumbsup:

Herbie

Veteran

I've had mine for 3 years...best cycling jacket i've had :smile:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
+1 from me also, saw the link and ordered, hove worn a few times and it is brilliant...:thumbsup:
I've had mine for 3 years...best cycling jacket i've had :smile:
Didn't think I'd be the only one to find this an excellent purchase... I only hope mine lasts 3 years too!

Do you just machine wash yours with normal soap-powder Herbie, or do you use something like the Grangers 2-in-1 'clean and proof' that TGstore sell?

Nocode

Ah, you've all talked me into buying one (I've gone for the yellow/black one) - damn you :smile:

I must admit, never heard of TGStore before but very impressed with the service so far. Ordered, and dispatched within a couple of hours. A great price as well, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. Looking forward to getting some use out of it when the weather gets a bit colder.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Ah, you've all talked me into buying one (I've gone for the yellow/black one) - damn you :smile:
Sorry :blush: – I swithered about the yellow one, but ended up going for red... I like red, plus it matches the Madone :whistle:

I must admit, never heard of TGStore before but very impressed with the service so far. Ordered, and dispatched within a couple of hours. A great price as well, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. Looking forward to getting some use out of it when the weather gets a bit colder.
This morning it dipped to 0°C, and it was below 2°C yesterday... must be warmer down your neck of the woods – :cold: here!!

Nocode

Sorry :blush: – I swithered about the yellow one, but ended up going for red... I like red, plus it matches the Madone :whistle:

Yeah, I did likewise. However, my Madone (2.1) is black/silver and although I'd love the match my jacket to it I didn't think having such a dark jacket would be good for my winter commutes!

This morning it dipped to 0°C, and it was below 2°C yesterday... must be warmer down your neck of the woods – :cold: here!!

Yeah, I'm down in the sunny SE of England and it was only 9C this morning. Starting to get a bit colder, and it will be my first winter commuting on a bike so I'm getting in there with some proactive purchases now :smile:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'd buy one right now if i thought there were any chance of it fitting - Frustrating is this winter jacket shopping!

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
The phantom is excellent, the xenon is awesome. I do t know how somthing so thin can be so warm and so breathable.

PS - Glad you all appreciated the link.

Herbie

Veteran
Didn't think I'd be the only one to find this an excellent purchase... I only hope mine lasts 3 years too!

Do you just machine wash yours with normal soap-powder Herbie, or do you use something like the Grangers 2-in-1 'clean and proof' that TGstore sell?

To be honest with you its not been washed too often ( hope you don't think i'm a minger?) but when washed i just wash it on its own on a gentle cycle with normal powder...it dries fairly quick...its as good as the day i got it..

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
To be honest with you its not been washed too often ( hope you don't think i'm a minger?) but when washed i just wash it on its own on a gentle cycle with normal powder...it dries fairly quick...its as good as the day i got it..
Excellent, thanks :thumbsup:

Actually just read up on Windstopper fabric care, and it seems that it doesn't lose its' er, "windproof-ness" even after hundreds of washes. Good to know.

The phantom is excellent, the xenon is awesome. I do t know how somthing so thin can be so warm and so breathable.

PS - Glad you all appreciated the link.
I thought I would give an opposing view, just for balance. I have had the jacket for a couple of years and it is most definitely not breathable, ok compared with a plastic bag maybe. It is definitely very windproof, the reflective bits are all in the wrong place and the zips are a bit on the flimsy side. After saying all that it is a good jacket providing you are not working hard on the bike, my waterproof eVent cycling jacket is much more breathable. I have had several "soft shell" windproof jackets over the years and none of them have been breathable, not sure if it is possible with a soft shell and be totally windproof.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I thought I would give an opposing view, just for balance.....
Balance is good TF :thumbsup:

Personally, I'm very happy with the jacket, but I do agree about the positioning of the reflective bits and I guess time will tell if those zips last! It's definitely breathable though, and clearly wicks well (if the frost on my arms and chest that I experienced yesterday were anything to go by)... however I agree if you're working hard, and/or if the temperature is as it is today (10°C compared to 0°C yesterday :huh:) then it's probably verging on the warm side. I do like the fact that the zips to remove the arms double as pit vents though... it's a neat touch, and one that helps regulate temperature when it's too cold to remove the arms, as it has been this week.

Top Bottom