Thunderstorms - anyone else being deluged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Smudge

Veteran
Thunderstorms !..... You lucky, lucky barstewards.
We had mental lightning storms a couple of nights ago, but no rain with it.... and strangely no thunder with it either.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thunderstorms !..... You lucky, lucky barstewards.
We had mental lightning storms a couple of nights ago, but no rain with it.... and strangely no thunder with it either.
I saw one of those about 20 years ago. I was in Hebden Bridge, which is situated in a steep-sided valley. It was in the middle of the night and the sky kept lighting up, but there was no thunder and no rain... I was intrigued as to what it could be so I walked up to the village of Heptonstall, about 160 m (525 ft) above the town. From there I could see a very powerful thunderstorm taking place over Manchester, at least 35 kms (22 miles) away.

Smudge

Veteran
I saw one of those about 20 years ago. I was in Hebden Bridge, which is situated in a steep-sided valley. It was in the middle of the night and the sky kept lighting up, but there was no thunder and no rain... I was intrigued as to what it could be so I walked up to the village of Heptonstall, about 160 m (525 ft) above the town. From there I could see a very powerful thunderstorm taking place over Manchester, at least 35 kms (22 miles) away.

Apparently this occurs when the storm is at a higher altitude than normal.

Top Bottom