Thursday Night Ride to the Coast April 9th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
User1314 said:
Like Tdr1inka I'm envious at missing out on the fun!

WELL DONE TO MAC B. First Hundred. He is a real gent.

That's true Crock - next night time for you eh? The café would have needed bigger staff to carry your breakfast plate to the table on Friday morning...just as well you were 'Crook Crock' :smile:

iLB

Hello there
Aperitif said:
Don't fool yourself MacB - you were never going to give in - we were just rolling along enjoying the banter.
Poor old Davy - he will not access this thread until Tuesday...he'll have to install a laptop in the work WC in order to keep up!:biggrin:
(Hello Davy...:smile:)

;) :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Right! Well I'm up. Let's go. What did I miss? Oh, right. Everything...

Damn.

Good weather, a surprise 10 percenter, the gods taking vengeance on topcat, and radius, MacB's virgin century, and somebody (Charlotte?) bringing a Streetmachine, and all those one off special moments that occur when its just you, the road, and a strange set of flashy lights.

That was an icky icky bug that arallsopp did not enjoy at all. The new and improved arallsopp is now 15% lighter, 10% weaker, but 100% better at keeping the inside and outside in their relevant containers.

Recommend people do not cycle the North West corner of HPC or Dripping Tap without mudguards.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
(your correspondent, motivated not one bit by the imminent arrival of massed in-laws in Wittering, has snuck out for a training ride, which, by coincidence, passes through his own front room, having completed the 71 mile journey in a not totally unrespectable 4 hours....)

first the apologies. If you're good at something, then you tend to get lumbered. That's TimO and Matthew's problem. Tim deals with punctures with elan, and Matthew's gentle shepherding of tail enders is much appreciated, so, once again, these two generous souls got stitched up. I promise you it won't happen next month.

And now the thanks - to all those TECs and wayfinders, Adam, Adrian, User10571, Andrij, Dan (I had the honour of sitting on Dan's front wheel through Stanford-le-Hope, which was a bit like being in 2 Fast 2 Furious), Simon, Des, Brian and anybody I've forgotten, not having the list in front of me - thankyou one and all. Alastair McB's complimentary remarks are very much appreciated, and he rightly highlights the team effort.

And, before I get completely luvvy about all this - the ride. Southend stays on the calendar because the Rose Restaurant does us proud, and it gives people who might not make Brighton the chance to to a night ride. I know it's not the greatest adventure in the world, but this month we did have the bonus of a bright moon, and a beautiful soft sunrise. Running along the A13, just before the right turn to Tatershall Gardens, Adrian and I seemed to be enveloped in a pink glow, the sky holding the very first rays of sun to be reflected off the sea, and the cloud seemingly passing it around, from one white puffball to another.

The view of Hadliegh Castle was even more Poussin than usual, but with the added bonus of entertainment. We saw the train, reduced to toy size, clattering off to Benfleet, and the sizeable fox bounding down a hill covered in winter wheat, part jumping, part body surfing, and, if I'm any judge, just for the heck of it.

Truth to tell, I was playing for time. At Junction 31 it all looked a bit iffy. Lesley was plainly exhausted, and talking about staying over at the Travelodge. I thought that if we managed to keep it together until Fobbing we could then split the ride, with the bulk going on, and Lesley and I taking our time. In the event she brightened up considerably (hail the restorative power of bananas!) and, having taken a short cut to avoid Grays, and foregone the pleasures of Bataville, we were all at Fobbing at about ten past five. Which meant, far from running behind time, we were a little in advance...

Of course, not quite as advanced as Radius and Ilovebikes. Whether the trauma of being overhauled on the incline up to Fobbing by a 54 year old man with one knee had temporarily unhinged them, we'll never know. I did say 'we'll stop just here', and when we did stop Fatters and I yelled not once, but three times, but off they went, no doubt ensconced in that place young people call 'The Zone'.....be that as it may, our duty of care meant that we couldn't possibly let them freeze down in the valley, so, as an act of kindness, we brought them back to the safety of the peloton....

So - thankyou (he's off again) one and all for making it the fun ride it turned out to be, and congratulations to those hardy souls who did the return trip, and commiserations to aralsopp who we'll doubtless see again before too long.

I'll revive the May thread at the end of the week. If you've sent an e-mail and I haven't replied, please forgive me

ChrisKH

Guru
dellzeqq, you were right about the stoker. ;) Picture a very attractive young lady shedding her jeans on the concourse of Liverpool Street Station to reveal legs that go on for ever and spangly socks. It was worth it for that alone. ;)

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Wow weee!

An awesome trip and not one pair of white stillettoes in sight (shame..) baring some lovely lady legs in lycra. Echoing ChrisKH above! hehe!

So, this is like preparing for an Oscar acceptance speech!

Firstly, thanks to Dellzegg, The Cat, which I trust was fruitfully rewarded with freshly caught salmon chunks, the waymarkers, the techs and any other organisers of this event! It was awesome! Weather perfect, except the down pour 15miles from home, not that that wiped the smile from my face! Or was I still gurning from all that sugar? And a thanks, hello again and sorry to the riders I didnt speak to on the ride, that made the trip. Never been in a mass ride like that before but the whole participation was brilliant and so well communicated and coordinated! I must admit, I look back and think I was a bit rude in speeding off most of the time with the youngsters ( and yes am still young thanks Radius!) having drag races et al and showing who's the Daddy downhill, immaturity there, but I certainly paid for it on the way home! Never been to Southend before or had two breakfasts at 7am yet alone a midnight ride of such magnatude! But ive got the bug! Which I did have and still have anyhow, sniff sniff, hence why I didnt have the legs to go over 40mph at any stage! Shocks!

Finally made it back to Bedfont with Aperitif, whom again, I thank for seeing me over the distance as I lost the plot for most of the journey; dont think I ate enough, ahem, about half 4pm friday afternoon. Total miles, not kms, 130.42. Total ride time of 10hrs, 12min, 59 secs! Few hours sleep and then back out on the lash till 2am! Was a mess, but the kebab shop got to see me at least! hehe!

Well done to all the riders that went beyond theirs bests and comforts zones, I know with out everyone, I wouldnt have got that far and I really wanted to get the train back from Southend! Well done to McBludgeon on his first ton, should have seen him go for the last 2 miles, like a man possessed! PS, I had to draft, I was knackered and couldnt keep up with you! PPS, I found ibuleve gel in my bag when I got home, sorry, that would have worked wonders on your knee! Forgotten all about it! I blame Burger King, it distracted me!

Big thanks to Sig too with her lovingly made and most tasteful cake! This was what kept me going at the end! Big thanks!

Ilovebikes, pleasure to meet and ride with you and Radius! I hope you dont think am too much of perv/nutter with all that was coming out of my mouth, was the sugars fault!!

Few things of note that standout, bar the sunrise and great company; spotting a dirty prossie in action and pick up a client in east london, made me laugh! Realising how much you can push the human body and what you can do with it, from the lowest low to the highest high, those endorphins are great. A few moments reflection going past the tribute to the young lady recently killed in west london. Very surreal reading about it then going past where it happened. And finally why you need to always keep your wits around you as me and Aperitif found out about a mile'ish from home when some wa....er tried to ruin our day by driving into us for no need at all. Although I was soaked, it didnt dampen my enthusiasm! If only I had caught him up...

And on a last note, of self-gratitude of course, hehe, I shot right up the Cyclogs league once this weekends cycles where tallied, just outside the top ten and hot on the tail of the three wheeled wonder Auntie H!

And a last thought to Aralsopp and Crockofgold, hope your feeling better!

Catch you all on the next one!

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't suppose, he says more in hope than expectation, anyone found a small black drawstring bag, at the Rose or anywhere else? By "small", I mean about the right size to hold a compact camera or mobile phone. I wouldn't mind ordinarily, but my girlfriend fiancee lent it to me ...

Dear me, I'm blushing! ;)

I did like stoking that tandem...and the spangly socks are a special feature of the FNRttC ;)

Was a bit strange coming home without a bike though. I was grateful for the jeans as I wandered through the city looking for Bank tube...

Thanks to all who helped and provided conversation. Had a lovely ride even though I had a really crap preceding day.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Notsototalnewbie said:
Dear me, I'm blushing! ;)

I did like stoking that tandem...and the spangly socks are a special feature of the FNRttC ;)

Was a bit strange coming home without a bike though. I was grateful for the jeans as I wandered through the city looking for Bank tube...

Thanks to all who helped and provided conversation. Had a lovely ride even though I had a really crap preceding day.
I like the way you waited a year and four months after registering to post, NSTN, just so you could embarrass the lovely ChrisKH!

TimP

arallsopp said:
somebody (Charlotte?) bringing a Streetmachine

There were two - Charlotte's, well fettled green clean SMGT and my grubby orange one which gets commuting duties (but it does wield those flaps).

Top Bottom