Thursday Night Ride to the Coast April 9th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
just4fun said:
im curious about this ride. how far is it? and what sort of speeds should participants aim to keep?

This is the route from last September's Southend ride, which was 53 miles. The April ride is likely to be close to this, but there may be some variations.

The Southend route is probably as flat a ride as any of the FNRttCs are, it'll start at midnight, and finish around breakfast (say 7am), so naively that's an average speed of 7.5 mph. In practice, we'll stop for 3am-ses at Thurrock (M25) services for an hour or so, and there will probably be other stops to allow the group to reform and to deal with mechanicals, so the moving average speed will be a bit faster than that. It's still probably the easiest and slowest of any FNRttC though.

just4fun

thanks very much for the info Tim0,

I'm free and keen but i'll need to speak to the Mrs and see if she'll let me off the leash for the night as we rarely get time together as it is with me working most weekends. It does sound fun though and it will be a challenge for me.

Not having attempted something like this before any tips on what i will need to bring other than myself and a bike

TimO

Guru
User3143 said:
Bring a pump, spare tube, couple of tools and some food should see you about right

...and suitable clothing, it can be a bit chilly if you need to wait around when we regroup or if someone is hit by a mechanical and we need to wait for them. If there's a risk of rain, you'll want to have some waterproofs.

Enough money to buy a cuppa for 3amses, and possibly to get you out of trouble if you have a really bad mechanical eg train fair from the nearest station (assuming you aren't planning on taking the train home, in which case you'll need money/ticket for that).

If you've got water bottle cages, it's a good idea to carry some water, even when it's cold you can get quite thirsty.

And, it may seem obvious, but this is a night ride, so good lights are essential. At a minimum you need road legal lights with good batteries (and possibly spares). Some parts of the route will be unlit and dark. You'll have to either have very bright lights, or stay near to someone who does have some.

just4fun

Thanks again for the info. i'll try to make this but will only add my name to roll call once im certain its possible.

TimO

Guru
The best, and most succinct description of what it's all about, and what you need was written by Simon, and is on the FNRttC Blog:

Here's the Basics

I wouldn't leave it too late, apparently Simon had to turn people away last month.

just4fun

sadly im out. my partner is insistant that we spend that time together. whilst i understand her point (she does actually have 1) im gutted as this would of been a great challenge and loads of fun too. Ah well next time. hope youall enjoy youselves

TimO

Guru
I don't think Simon is keen on trying to meet people along the route. Things aren't set in stone, and an unexpected diversion or delays from mechanicals or the weather could make it difficult to meet up.

There are exceptions, but these are unusual, and I can understand why Simon doesn't want to end up with a list of people to pick up along the way, and telephone numbers to call to make things happen.

Like Aperitif said, come to HPC and meet everyone, part of the experience is meeting up with people and having a chat at the start. Also, you'll miss Simon's short briefing about the ride, and how to behave, which is also important if you've never done a FNRttC before.

TimO

Guru
User1314 said:
Only thing is I have never really done any out of well-lit town cycling before so have no decent lights to see by on dark lanes. What's the minimum I can spend on decent lights?

How long (or short) is a bit of string? :smile:

What someone considers acceptable lighting is a personal choice, and I've seen people on these rides with relatively moderate lights. The trouble with normal commuting lights, is that they are more designed to make you visible to cars than they are to light up the road, and some of the route will probably be quite dark.

Personally, as a minimum I'd probably use a Cateye TL-LD1100 rear, although the Smart 1/2 Watt Red LED lights is also very well thought of and a lot cheaper Two rears are always better than one, since if a rear light fails you tend not to notice. For these rides, the rear isn't as much of an issue, since most half decent LEDs with a good set of batteries will do their job of making you noticeable to other road users.

For the front, I'd go for something like a Cateye EL610 Single Shot Plus or Hope Vision 1, but neither of these are cheap lights at around £70-£80. Many people use even brighter lights, but possibly do a lot more night cycling than you do.

Generally with front lights the more you spend, the brighter the light, and you can go all the way up to silly money with a Lupine Betty 14, at a touch under £800. :biggrin:

If you don't want to spend this sort of money, you can just find someone with very good lights, and try and stay with them, although this is obviously a less than perfect approach. As a minimum, you do still need road legal lights.

Hello all.

I have been introduced to this site and your night rides by one of your "reclined" members. The Brighton ride really appealed to me based on the article I read but i felt it was a bit too far and I am not good with hills yet.

This seems a little more do - able. What sort of pace do I have to keep?

I just dont want to be at the back the whole way making others have to stop. The most I have ever riden in one go is around 30miles with an ave speed of 10-12mph and have only been riding again since December so I am not fit.

Will I make it or be in good company at the back or should I train up for the next one:bicycle:

Thanks

Great site by the way:biggrin:

TimO

Guru
Mista Preston said:
This seems a little more do - able. What sort of pace do I have to keep?

I just dont want to be at the back the whole way making others have to stop. The most I have ever riden in one go is around 30miles with an ave speed of 10-12mph and have only been riding again since December so I am not fit.

I did some hand waving calculations a couple of pages back.

The Southend FNRttC is probably the easiest route. I would think that if you can do that speed, you'll get there OK.

More hand waving; Nominally we cycle for seven hours from midnight to 7am, lets assume we stop for an hours rest midway (Junction 31). Further, lets assume you only cycle for 50 minutes an hour. If you're doing 10 mph average speed, in that time you will do exactly 50 miles. That leaves you 3 miles short of the 53 miles complete ride, so you'll get there at around 7-20. That seems acceptable to me.

On the FNRttC no one gets left behind, they'll always be a Tail End Charlie with you, even if you're right at the back.

Ultimately there is only one way to find out if you can do it, but if you've done 30 miles at that sort of speed before, I suspect you're more confident of your abilities than some first time FNRttC-ers.

Thanks TimO

Do you find people burn out a couple of hours in based on lack of sleep ?

I guess Gel and cake combinations goes along way !

hatler

Guru
User1314 said:
I have another question.

We aren't leaving until 12 (assuming I'm accepted!) from HPC. I finish work in Central London at 4.30. I don't really want to cycle 15 miles home to Kingston then cycle back again.That leaves 7 hours of trying to stay out of the pub (I mean finding something constructive to do)! Anyone else in the same boat?

Go home. Get some kip. Train back in to London. Waterloo to HPC is easily doable in 10 minuntes.

That's what I did for my first two FNRttCs.

Top Bottom