Thursday Night Ride to the Coast April 9th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
Hi Joyce,

A good place to start is this posting on the FNRttC blog:

Here's the basics

If you've got any questions, just ask them here, and someone should be able to give a useful answer.

More specifically about this ride; The Southend route is probably the easiest of the various routes that are used, it'll be about 53 miles, so the pace will be fairly easy.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm definite for this, I have permission, plus a look of incredulity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Count me in please :biggrin:

ilovebikes: want to ride up together again? I'll be setting off from Bromley, normal kind of time ...and heading back?

Mista Preston: join us for a tootle up mate? We'll probably set off from the Dripping Tap around 1040, as we were a little early last time. :biggrin:

Aperitif: Will be honoured to join you on the return leg.

TopCat1: C'mon bud. We can get old the gang together :biggrin:

Simon: Get yourself a decent service from a reputable garage and get out here :smile:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Mike e
User10571
Richard C
delthebike
Tim O
Cllr. Greg P
Adrian C
radius
tdr1nka
Flying Dodo
davywal-nuts of charcoal
Marna G
Pete G
User1314
Mista Preston
coruskate
ilovebikes
ChrisKH
Aperitif
SigSilverPrinter
hatler
McBludgeon
Helen B
Tom McD
Peter W
Laura B
Clive Bn
Barry T
topcat1
Thomas F
Jonathan C
Ed O
Aurelia O
Matthew S
Des O'D
Simon P
Louise L
Brian P
aralsopp
Dave s
Marilyn B
Julian D
Chris By
Davy F
Philippa G
Jack F

arallsopp said:
Count me in please :smile:

ilovebikes: want to ride up together again? I'll be setting off from Bromley, normal kind of time ...and heading back?

Mista Preston: join us for a tootle up mate? We'll probably set off from the Dripping Tap around 1040, as we were a little early last time. :smile:

Aperitif: Will be honoured to join you on the return leg.

TopCat1: C'mon bud. We can get old the gang together :sad:

Simon: Get yourself a decent service from a reputable garage and get out here :biggrin:

10.40 sounds fine. How far is the return leg. If I am still awake I may have a go

Any ideas on what to eat beforehand and on route?

Mista Preston said:
10.40 sounds fine. How far is the return leg. If I am still awake I may have a go

Anything that will fit in your mouth / pockets! Best not to go for the garlic butties or indulge in a wind-farm beanfeast beforehand though.

Malt loaf, cereal bar. Stoke the boiler with a big pasta and cheese delight Mmmm! Fill up whenever with cakes, rolls and (Parkin cake if you're lucky :laugh:). Bit of chewing gum, energy gel for a boost as and when, tea, coffee. Last time, for the return journey, it was a pastry stop at a local shop. With fizzy drinks, juice and chocolate that helps you work rest and play.(It felt as though my bike had Wagon Wheels by then...:rofl:) :ohmy:

Eat a little and often and drink before you get too thirsty.

TimO

Guru
Mista Preston said:

Pasta is traditional to eat before races, marathons etc (Carbo loading), although hopefully the FNRttC doesn't quite require that level of planning! It's probably a good idea to make sure that you aren't trying to cycle on an empty stomach, on the other hand, you don't want to be eating a big meal immediately before the ride either! I'll have a good meal in the early evening, and some munchies just before I leave the house (but I'm an hours cycle from HPC).

On the ride I like to eat Chocolate Geobars and Apple School bars, since both of them seem to be amongst the easiest to eat when you mouth is a bit dry.

I'll fill one water bottle with Sainsburys Basic orange juice, and the other with water (it can double up to be used to clean a minor injury if necessary!)

arallsopp

Aperitif said:
it was a pastry stop at a local shop. With fizzy drinks, juice and chocolate that helps you work rest and play.

That was no fizzy drink. That was POWERADE! I distinctly remember a Tex Avery style boost, bodyboarding my knackered corpse on a bubbly wave of undiluted sugar:smile:

For this kind of distance, and at the pace we travel, pretty much anything would do it. Standard fare, big portions at 7pm... With a bowl of something carby before you head to town.
Muesli bars in your pockets, and change for a good few cups of coffee will see you through.

No idea of distance for there and back, but I'll be aiming at another 200k, so will probably pad out the return leg to the tune of about 15 miles. Or maybe I'll get 'em in before I head to town... Hmmm... Might have to start thinking about this:smile:

TimO

Guru
arallsopp said:
No idea of distance for there and back, but I'll be aiming at another 200k, so will probably pad out the return leg to the tune of about 15 miles. Or maybe I'll get 'em in before I head to town... Hmmm... Might have to start thinking about this:smile:

The route we used last September was 52.8 miles (according to Bikely), so that's 18.67 miles short of 200k. Of course, you probably need to go somewhere other than HPC on your return, so that may soak up some of those miles.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if I were riding back I'd return via the Hanningfield Reservoir, cut through north of Basildon, West Horndon and Upminster. This is the route that, one of these days, I'd like to take there, but, try as I might, I've not lined up a mid-way tea spot.

arallsopp

Hey! Thanks for the links. I'm out in Bromley, so I'll pick up just over 10 miles getting into town. The remaining 8 will let me cut the (HP) corner off the return leg, and dipping south at Tower Bridge and riding the Old Kent Road home.

Neat trick with google too. :ohmy:

I might even give it a dummy run on Friday this week.

Top Bottom