TI-Raleigh 40th Anniversary Edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Casper1978

Regular
Looks very similar to my 2013 version, frame looks identical, it does ride better the sum of its parts, the Campagnolo Veloce groupset works well and the Record hubs and Mavic Open pro wheelset is top quality, I understand it’s not for everyone but I love mine.

View attachment 537494

View attachment 537495

Nice bike indeed. I couldn't possibly afford 1 back in 1978 when I raced . A guy in my club had one.... of the records , still a gorgeous bike in my eyes. One day I will get one, replica or original.

Jameshow

Veteran
Do you think the Mrs will miss £62 going out per month! Equal to her hair colours I think!!🤣🤣🤣

Still not my cuppa tea though!!

Casper1978

Regular

Gunk

Guru
Nice bike indeed. I couldn't possibly afford 1 back in 1978 when I raced . A guy in my club had one.... of the records , still a gorgeous bike in my eyes. One day I will get one, replica or original.

No longer with me, I sold it last year

Good morning,

If anyone is interested they are still on the Raleigh web site!!!!

All of the frames come up as out of stock, but all of the complete bikes seem to be available, which does seem a bit surprising, unless they have all sold and the site hasn't been updated.

I look occasionally to see if they are being discounted, I'd be tempted at around £1,500.

I did see on one ebay recently for £2k and listed as having only done a few miles, dropped from £3k it may have been bought on the basis of these are going to sell out fast and will be easy to resell. :smile:

There is also a 56cm frame only for £799 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234704395258? on ebay at the moment, the seller seems to be a club and is also listing a 59cm and a 61cm frame!

Edit: 10:12
The seller has just messaged me to confirm that they are new and boxed and that they had the last 7 frames off Raleigh.

Edit: 16:20
Ebay rejected my purchase.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Casper1978

Regular
I guess they have not been as successful as Raleigh hoped. I did see frames on ebay and wondered how that came about. Interesting how fickle things can be.

Jameshow

Veteran
Good morning,

If anyone is interested they are still on the Raleigh web site!!!!

All of the frames come up as out of stock, but all of the complete bikes seem to be available, which does seem a bit surprising, unless they have all sold and the site hasn't been updated.

I look occasionally to see if they are being discounted, I'd be tempted at around £1,500.

I did see on one ebay recently for £2k and listed as having only done a few miles, dropped from £3k it may have been bought on the basis of these are going to sell out fast and will be easy to resell. :smile:

There is also a 56cm frame only for £799 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234704395258? on ebay at the moment, the seller seems to be a club and is also listing a 59cm and a 61cm frame!

Edit: 10:12
The seller has just messaged me to confirm that they are new and boxed and that they had the last 7 frames off Raleigh.

Bye

Ian

Frustrating!!

Good morning,
I guess they have not been as successful as Raleigh hoped. I did see frames on ebay and wondered how that came about. Interesting how fickle things can be.
They are being sold by http://grahamweighcycles.com/ GRAHAM WEIGH CYCLES. 3 – 5 Chester Road East,Shotton.Deeside..CH5 1QA, Tel: 01244 831110, note the ebay user name and the club link on the web site.

As explained to me, they got the last seven frames, given the selling price I am guessing at either a bargain price as Raleigh had given up on selling them or they have finally given up on selling them at full price.

My understanding is that they are brand new, still in the box and without a headset, so unless a headset was fitted and removed they would have been a wobbly ride if used.:smile:

There has been a lot of hostility towards this bike on the internet, yet even through Covid they didn't manage to sell them and now £2.5k for a whole bike doesn't seem so bad. I still think that purely as a bike they were a £1.5k bike with a £1k limited edition premium.

My frame arrives soon, so the 56cm one is now gone (£799 + £14 delivery + £50 for a Record headset), but apparently there is a Royal Mail strike.

Raleigh1.jpg

I am unsure what I want to do with it though.:rolleyes: An STI build makes sense, but another £1.5k for 105 Di2 is stretching the budget too far. As I am still a recent mover away from D/T shifters I am not averse to doing that instead, especially as I have the parts from my broken steel bike.

I didn't realise it until I looked closely that some frame building course do a week 1 where you build your frame and a week 2 where you build the front fork! Which makes sense as who wants a fork made by a novice?

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
clearly that issue was reolved
I am unsure what I want to do with it though.:rolleyes: An STI build makes sense, but another £1.5k for 105 Di2 is stretching the budget too far. As I am still a recent mover away from D/T shifters I am not averse to doing that instead, especially as I have the parts from my broken steel bike.
On my vintage bikes, I much prefer the one with bar cons to DT shifters. You could do a nice modern-ish take on traditional with 10spd dura-ace bar cons and associated FD/ RD etc. plenty of good used stuff on ebay, (just dont mix in any 4700 tiagra 10 spd as it has a different pull ratio)

Good morning,

Just to get it going I am considering stripping this down.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
IMG_1742.JPG
Shimano 2000 pre Claris and a Prowheel chainset, mount the rack with a few cable ties, yup definitely a good match, even the wheels are wrong as they have black spokes.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think that the result may be shall we say unique.

Bye

Ian

Jameshow

Veteran
clearly that issue was reolved

On my vintage bikes, I much prefer the one with bar cons to DT shifters. You could do a nice modern-ish take on traditional with 10spd dura-ace bar cons and associated FD/ RD etc. plenty of good used stuff on ebay, (just dont mix in any 4700 tiagra 10 spd as it has a different pull ratio)

Please no di2, carbon or tiagra 4700!!!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There has been a lot of hostility towards this bike on the internet, yet even through Covid they didn't manage to sell them and now £2.5k for a whole bike doesn't seem so bad. I still think that purely as a bike they were a £1.5k bike with a £1k limited edition premium.

My frame arrives soon, so the 56cm one is now gone (£799 + £14 delivery + £50 for a Record headset), but apparently there is a Royal Mail strike.

I think the hostility stems from the fact it was clearly a ham-fisted marketing/publicity exercise which lacked authenticity because the spec details hadn't been thought out.

That doesn't make them bad bikes though, if you just want a nice steel frame made from Reynolds top spec tubing. As a frameset, without the limited edition premium, the price looks like fair value for money.

Good morning,

I think the hostility stems from the fact it was clearly a ham-fisted marketing/publicity exercise which lacked authenticity because the spec details hadn't been thought out.

That doesn't make them bad bikes though, if you just want a nice steel frame made from Reynolds top spec tubing. As a frameset, without the limited edition premium, the price looks like fair value for money.
I get the sentiment, but when you actually get the frame in your hands it feels different. :rolleyes:

This may be because I have a different perception of the real thing to many, I vaguely knew Mike Mullet, GoD's number 2 at some point and I have also seen articles/photos on how many of the 753 frames were made.

The dream is that SPD/SBDU was full of craftsmen who laboured lovingly for hours on each frame, as I understand it they were made on a production line. The BB area was done by one person in a batch and allowed to cool, then quite possibly someone else did a bit more whilst the forks were being made by another bod.

So a frame made in a factory in Taiwan isn't so far from how the originals were made.

There is no doubt that the ends are poor for the price but the famous not fitting head tube badge is almost not noticeable. And the paintwork is so thick that it might account for the weight of around 2.8kg frame, forks and headset as well as the vague seat stay caps. :smile:

IMG_1777.JPG
Can you even see the frame number?

As there is pretty much no reason to buy a 753 frame today, it is so close to 725 that very few riders could tell the difference and SPA Cycles will sell you a 725 one for around £500 possibly less although Ribble seem to want closer to £1,000 and you get a CF fork!

There is the caveat that when looking at steel frames it is often unclear what material have been used for the forks and stays, though.

Please no di2, carbon or tiagra 4700!!!
The problem with Di2 is the cabling, either needing holes drilled for the battery mounted seat post, or the ugly water bottle adapter for the external battery. If Di2 was available at the time it would have been used ..... and it is so good.

I am going to give DT a go.

Bye

Ian

Good morning,

They are being sold by http://grahamweighcycles.com/ GRAHAM WEIGH CYCLES. 3 – 5 Chester Road East,Shotton.Deeside..CH5 1QA, Tel: 01244 831110, note the ebay user name and the club link on the web site.

As explained to me, they got the last seven frames, given the selling price I am guessing at either a bargain price as Raleigh had given up on selling them or they have finally given up on selling them at full price.

My understanding is that they are brand new, still in the box and without a headset, so unless a headset was fitted and removed they would have been a wobbly ride if used.:smile:

View attachment 663416

I didn't realise it until I looked closely that some frame building course do a week 1 where you build your frame and a week 2 where you build the front fork! Which makes sense as who wants a fork made by a novice?

Bye

Ian

Good luck with your build . The pictures look nice .
My brother recently bought Planet X Holdsworth Cyclone revival cycle second hand. I couldn't believe it when he said that he bought it . I only told him about it as it looked really smart . It is a lovely bike in damson purple and red with chrome lugs . He gets good comments from riders he meets out on the road . He is also too fast on it ! I can hardly keep up with him .

Top Bottom