Ti Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
It's my Merida Ride 400 the frame isn't worth much now it's discontinued and superseded by the Scultura.

I was looking at the Reilly T325 frameset, it's 105 spec if you purchase it from Reilly, I would use their own branded seatpost, and use a new headset, stem and bars, my DCR wheels aren't that old and the groupset isn't that old on the Merida either.

I was kinda fielding the idea to see if it was daft, I can ask the mobile mechanic I use about the crankset, he sold the Merida to me and upgraded it recently as well so he knows the bike well.

I also have some 105 5800 components I can still sell off as well.

EDIT: Merida is currenty 105 R7000 spec groupset.

EDIT: Other frameset was VN Boreas I was looking at.

Be aware that neither frame has mounts for mudguards or racks. If that is your preference, then apart from checking rim brake caliper drop height. You're good to go.

If you fancy something a little more multi purpose, this may whet your whistle

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Adventure/Tripster-ATR-V3 :okay:

Larger tyre range, mounting points and erm disc brakes ;)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've nearly always built up my own bikes or, more recently, specified every component. I can't imagine finding something off-the-peg that suits me exactly.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Spitfire is attractive, the 2yr warranty less so, my Merida had a better warranty, it's actually something I'm wrestling with a lot.
the Titus Ti frames Planet x sell are a lifetime warranty, and only a small premium over the planet x branded ones.
The Roadrunner is more road focussed than the Goldrush which is much more gravel bike. both disc only (as a lot of frames are now sadly, spitfire an exception) and both have rack and mudguard mounts. You may be able to get them specced with a "double" groupset rather than a 1x set-up if you talk nicely to planet x

vickster

Legendary Member
If the OP goes the disc brake route, it will probably make far more sense to buy new, although he could use existing Merida mechanical groupset with TRP Spyres, but would need new wheels, plus the brake calipers (and Spyres have become hard to come by and expensive like most other parts).
He says he doesn't want hydraulics which would necessitate a new bike for sure.

Spa may well have a rim braked Ti frame (although be aware that some won't take a >25mm tyre, I don't know about the Reilly)

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
If the OP goes the disc brake route, it will probably make far more sense to buy new, although he could use existing Merida mechanical groupset with TRP Spyres, but would need new wheels, plus the brake calipers (and Spyres have become hard to come by and expensive like most other parts).
He says he doesn't want hydraulics which would necessitate a new bike for sure.

Spa may well have a rim braked Ti frame (although be aware that some won't take a >25mm tyre, I don't know about the Reilly)

If I went disc it may as well be a complete bike.

Spa's Sabbath range quite a few are rim brakes still, the Aspire, Silk Road, and the awesome looking Mondays Child!

Reilly T325 would take up to 28mm tyre according the the website.

vickster

Legendary Member
If I went disc it may as well be a complete bike.

Spa's Sabbath range quite a few are rim brakes still, the Aspire, Silk Road, and the awesome looking Mondays Child!
Yep but some are old designs and hence don’t have clearance for fatter tyres, mudguards, mounts for racks, so check with them.

Description of Monday’s child… aggressive, PF BB…not for me

Aggressive geometry gives a low, fast riding position without compromising on titanium's legendary ride comfort. Feisty and responsive for those wanting the most engaging of rides.

The latest iteration of the frame has a PF30 bottom bracket shell and a tapered headtube increasing stiffness by 23% at the front and 19% at the rear, while still managing to be lighter than previous versions.

Not sure why it’s especially more awesome looking than any other Ti. It will take 28s, but no rack or guards

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Yep but some are old designs and hence don’t have clearance for fatter tyres, mudguards, mounts for racks, so check with them.

Description of Monday’s child… aggressive, PF BB…not for me

Aggressive geometry gives a low, fast riding position without compromising on titanium's legendary ride comfort. Feisty and responsive for those wanting the most engaging of rides.

The latest iteration of the frame has a PF30 bottom bracket shell and a tapered headtube increasing stiffness by 23% at the front and 19% at the rear, while still managing to be lighter than previous versions.

Not sure why it’s especially more awesome looking than any other Ti. It will take 28s, but no rack or guards

It's too aggressive for me, also wasted effort.

The bike mechanic said he feels there are more economic routes, he is going to give me a call.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I think the Aspire is very racy too, and has limited clearances

I think Jowwy had the Aspire, I will look up some of his old posts.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think Jowwy had the Aspire, I will look up some of his old posts.
i did, a long time ago, was my first taste of Ti before i switched to the custom built Disc frame Ti.....

it was a cracking bike, 28mm tyres was the max and i wouldnt say it was racey, was a very comfortable bike to ride.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Half price broadly, 3 month warranty, how old is the frame though?

I have seen reviews for that frame from 2010 so it could be old potentially.

I would need to dig more on the website.

Edit: the description says receipt held? So maybe it’s the initial sale receipt so I could ask.

the prices are more on EBay to take into account the sale/list fees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom