Tiagra 4500 shifters - Can I replace them with 105 shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

My left hand Tiagra 4500 9 spd shifter has given up the ghost. It's knackered and I'm struggling to source a replacement. The bike is a Pinarello FP1 with a double compact chainset. Is it possible to replace the Tiagra 4500 shifters with an alternative? I understand I can't simply swap them for Tiagra 4600 as those are 10 speed rather than 9, is that correct?

I'm finding that getting hold of a good, working 4500 left hand shifter is like finding the proverbial needle in an enormous haystack!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Right, scratch that idea - 9 spd 105 shifters are even harder to find for sale! Any alternatives?

U

User33236

Why not get the Tiagra 4600 and change the chain and cassette to 10 speed?

U

User33236

You will likely need to adjust the stops on the derailleurs but other than that it will work. I went from 9 to 10 speed on a CAAD8 a few years back just doing that.

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Cool! Had no idea that you could do that! Someone on another forum has also mentioned that because its the left shifter which controls the front mech it shouldn't matter whether the shifter comes from a 9 or a 10 speed groupset as its only moving the front mech onto the big or small ring?

U

User33236

Cool! Had no idea that you could do that! Someone on another forum has also mentioned that because its the left shifter which controls the front mech it shouldn't matter whether the shifter comes from a 9 or a 10 speed groupset as its only moving the front mech onto the big or small ring?
I missed out the left hand bit in your original post and assumed it was right due to 9 and 10 speed references. They are correct that left shifts the front and therefore a later version will work on 9 or 10 speed. The only issue will be that, if you only buy a left, they will be a later generation and you therefore will have a different look to your left and right shifters. You may as well buy a matching set and change to 10 speed if your budget can do that.

Top Bottom