Tiagra Shifter - Gear Cabling Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All

Now I have the unfortunate issue of snapping my gear cable at the weekend. It snapped at the shifter end of a Tiagra road shifter.

I have got my self a new cable and threaded it through the rear mech and up to the shifter. Now here is where I have got stuck. I can see there is a hole for the cable to go through but when I look through it appears to have cable in it. My question is am I seeing the brake cable or is it remnants of the broken one? If its the latter how do I get it out?, do i need to take apart the shifter or just pull it?. My last question is how does the shifter cable then stay in place at the shifter end. Also does anyone have any vids on this part of the repair process. I cant find anything useful on Youtube.

Many thanks for any help you can give?

Clive

Jones

If your looking at the hole at the side of the shifter that you can see when you pull the brake its probably the old cable.

You need to poke that out from the inner side making sure the shifter is on its biggest gear ( smallest cog size ) then thread the new cable end (the one with nothing on it) through the hole from the outside.

Then push it through all the outer cables and then to the rear mech.

Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
thanks Jones yes it does. I get the treading of the cable part but I cant seem to budge the cable that is clearly frayed from the inside of the shifter.....is their a retaining bolt or anything i am missing here?

Any ideas ?

I am Spartacus

Über Member
This is where you put to the test the friendly and jovial relationship that you have cultivated over the past months/years with your LBS, so that they route the cable for you as you wait .... on the promise of buying a few gels afterwards .....
'cos they know one day you will buy that Ridley Noah

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
I am Spartacus said:
This is where you put to the test the friendly and jovial relationship that you have cultivated over the past months/years with your LBS, so that they route the cable for you as you wait .... on the promise of buying a few gels afterwards .....
'cos they know one day you will buy that Ridley Noah

Not sure the cable can be routed until the other is out fully. It seems the lead end on the old cable is trapped at some point in the shifter with nothing but some frayed cable to get hold of. Not sure LBS will be able to help but looks like I may have to try. Either that or new shifter I think !

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
try clicking the shifter up to the highest setting (ie where the smallest sprocket would be). that should help.

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
alecstilleyedye said:
try clicking the shifter up to the highest setting (ie where the smallest sprocket would be). that should help.

yep did that and it did get me a little bit more cable but still not budging ;)

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm a bit confused here as it seems like the OP is trying to thread the cable in wrong direction - i.e from the derailleur to the shifter. That's why he can't find the 'clamp' at the shifter end - because there isn't one, just the recess that the cable knobble fits into.

Please, OP - go to your LBS ;)

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
Fiona N said:
I'm a bit confused here as it seems like the OP is trying to thread the cable in wrong direction - i.e from the derailleur to the shifter. That's why he can't find the 'clamp' at the shifter end - because there isn't one, just the recess that the cable knobble fits into.

Please, OP - go to your LBS ;)

Hello im not trying to thread anything !, im trying to get what left of the cable out of my shifter.....

I shall be going to LBS but wanted to see if I could fix it myself

Jones

I was just thinking about this, you are pushing the cable and not pulling aren't you ?

It will push out from the inside towards the outside of the shifter, the little blob bit you can see on the new cable is inside the shifter, so you need to be pushing the frayed ends into the shifter not pulling.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Mista Preston said:
Hello im not trying to thread anything !, im trying to get what left of the cable out of my shifter.....

I shall be going to LBS but wanted to see if I could fix it myself

You probably can, but that is the fun of home mechanics. Bikes are on the face of it relatively simple machines, yet it can be most frustrating to do ones own fixing ... until someone else shows you the knack of doing those relatively simple tasks.... hence if you go to the LBS make sure you suss out how they go about it.

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
Jones said:
I was just thinking about this, you are pushing the cable and not pulling aren't you ?

It will push out from the inside towards the outside of the shifter, the little blob bit you can see on the new cable is inside the shifter, so you need to be pushing the frayed ends into the shifter not pulling.

Jones thanks for thinking as i am a little worried about this - i am trying both. I seems that the "blob" is caught in the bottom of the unit which from what I can tell is a know issue as their is no access to it really.

I am still "playing" with different options ie pushing a cable into the frayed bit and blob to make it go around but so far no joy. From what i can see from other forums people have drilled a hole the other side of the shifter, or got lucky with "dental tools" and others have written to Shimano requesting a new shifter.....oh the joys of road bikes. Simple advice is check em before they break.

I just want it sorting by Sunday so i can go for a ride !

Top Bottom