Tiagra Shifter - Gear Cabling Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
If you can muddle it over to my dad's place on thursday, we may be able to dig it out. He has a variety of dental type tools in the garage that have been used to great effect in the past. I will admit to nicking a few of them from him over the years, but he should still have enough to furnish a decent SAW trilogy.

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
arallsopp said:
If you can muddle it over to my dad's place on thursday, we may be able to dig it out. He has a variety of dental type tools in the garage that have been used to great effect in the past. I will admit to nicking a few of them from him over the years, but he should still have enough to furnish a decent SAW trilogy.

Thanks Mr A. Gonna try Bromley Bike later to see what they say then may see you on Thursday. Will drive it around :o)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Drive it? You've got a triple, right? Why not just give few extra turns to the limit screw to nudge it off the baby cog, then 3 speed it over?

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
Ok so LBS saved me. It took them no time using a nice little tool and it came out. They have seen it before so knew what to do. I am glad its out but pissed it took them no time and me a long time....

Thanks all for your input. I repaid my LBS by buying another cable from them and hopefully should this happen to someone else we now have a thread about it.

Thanks all again for your replies.

Nick_B

My rear gear cable snapped at the shifter. Thanks to these posts and a mooch around some other forums I got it sorted quickly.

The key is getting the shifter into the highest gear (ie smallest cog). Once you've done that the old cable should pop out easily and the new one just threads through from the outside of the shifter. You will need to squeeze the brake lever to get the
cable in or out.

As far as I can tell in normal operation the derailleur spring pulls on the cable which helps pull the shifter to a higher gear when you press the upshift lever (the small black one). When the cable is broken, and the spring not pulling, the upshift lever won't get you to the highest gear. If you can grab the frayed cable with a pair of pliers you can pull on it whilst operating the upshift and then, hopefully, get the shift to the highest gear.

As I say once you have the shifter in the highest gear getting the cable out and back in should be easy.

I bought a pair of 2nd-hand shifters where some bright spark had simply removed them from the bike by cutting through the cables where they entered the shifter, and had then clicked up and down the range a few times.

This meant that the 1" or so of cable cut-off in the shifter had been pulled-in, frayed, separated and bent inside the shifter unit.

It took me about 45 minutes of painstaking work with watchmakers screwdrivers and needlenose pliers to get the b*st*rd thing out

Not impressed with that bright spark...

Top Bottom