Tiagra vs 105 vs Ultegra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
The internals are the same, except for the Ultegra hydraulic lever.
The resistance is not provided by the levers but by the brake caliper springs - which are all the same.
The resistance - I'm not sure what you mean here but my guess is that you're talking friction. That's provided by the cables. Shimano cables are all the same except for the option of polymer-coated gear cables, but there's no need for them really. Conversely, you could fit them to your Tiagra if you want.

Interesting. My experience is that there is a more linear resistance when changing gear up (to a larger casette ring) on 105, and a smaller "throw" required to change down. Resulting in a more positive feel in the levers.

I'm not proud of using positive as a descriptor but I can't think of a better one right now.

I'm talking about gear changing, not braking, for what its worth, in which case they do indeed feel identical.

Drago

Legendary Member
Go for a ride blindfolded, and assuming you don't crash you'll not notice any difference. I've 105 and Tiagra bikes, and the only distinguishing characteristic on the gears is the slightly longer lever throw on the Tiggy. I've got big hands, long fingers, and actually prefer that.

Both feel equally slick and positive, both have been equally reliable and long lived between adjustments, and both look nearly identical.

The brakes are harder to gauge, as the Tiagra bike has unbranded callipers which are much better than the 105s, although that could be down to the braking surface on the wheels as he callipers themselves.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
10 speed cassettes and chain are quite a bit cheaper than 11spd.

No one will notice if you put 105 cassette on Ultegra. KMC chain is best bet for replacement for either.

In terms of up front cost you cant objectively justify ultegra over 105. But if you prefer the cosmetics of that model then go for it, or I it comes with better wheelset etc.

All of them change the gears very very competantly

I've got several bikes, they are equipped from 'crappy Shimano Acera 8 speed' up to Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 speed, with Sora 9 speed, 105 5700 10 speed, and SRAM rival in there as well. Riding the opposite ends of the spectrum, on the bikes, in succession, shows the differences up nicely. Anyone that says they can't tell the difference between the groupsets, clearly hasn't actually ridden the different groupset equipped bikes much. The differences aren't subtle. The Ultegra is night and day different to the 105, the 105 is night and day different to the Sora, and so on, and so on. I'm not just referring to the differences in gearing, it's about the feel / responsiveness of the shifting and braking as well.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Tiagra is very good for it's price, it works very well. I have Tiagra on one of my bikes. I upgraded another bike to 105 and found the difference to be in the shifting. 105 is just that bit smoother and easier. Both sets work well for me. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Adam4868

Guru
I've two bikes one with 105 ten speed and one with ultegra 10 speed and as someone said you'd struggle to tell a difference other than it has Ultegra wrote on it !

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I had a 10 year old Spesh with 105 & when I got a Kinesis with Tiagra in May I was pleasantly surprised by how good the Tiagra was, certainly as good as my old 105. Then in the summer I got a Van Nic with 105, couldn't really justify the extra £300 for Ultegra, & the 105 is nicer than the new Tiagra. Changes just a bit smoother & worth the extra ££. But as others have said, try the different bikes/gearsets & see which you like :okay:

All 3 will change gear. All three will grumble more or less if you change gear under massive load. Spend whatever you are comfortable spending. Ultegra will be smoother than 105 but not by the same degree that 105 is smoother than Tiagra (law of diminishing returns). As for the upkeep costs, you will find that a better groupset is cheaper on a bike as std than upgrading later, but should you baulk at paying for an ultegra cassette then you could still run a 105 when it comes to replacement.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I currently have one Tiagra bike and one 5800 105 bike provided they are adjusted correctly both are great. Previously ad an Ultegra road bike which also worked well.

Better to spend money on a higher quality frame than a higher ranked groupset. You can upgrade groupset parts as they wear out..

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I currently have one Tiagra bike and one 5800 105 bike provided they are adjusted correctly both are great. Previously ad an Ultegra road bike which also worked well.

Better to spend money on a higher quality frame than a higher ranked groupset. You can upgrade groupset parts as they wear out..

Yup that's true, I have my heart set on a Merida, I am sure there are better frames out there but I find them really comfortable.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
So long as it fits you and your comfortable on it go with the bike that excites you just looking at it.

Buying a bike isnt all about finance and components.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
So long as it fits you and your comfortable on it go with the bike that excites you just looking at it.

Buying a bike isnt all about finance and components.

I have found the ones I have tested really comfortable I really like the look of the bike as well and can't wait to finally have the rest of the cash ready and have decided what spec I want.

I am leaning more towards the 105 spec one, the blue 2017 colours are really nice, the Tiagra ones really nice as well but I prefer the other.

It's just a waiting game now unless some crazy deals come along, you never know with Black Friday approaching.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My wife's Giant Defy is 105 equipped, my Giant TCR is Tiagra equipped. Mine cost a bit more, largely because of the carbon frame, and I ride both bikes; To me at least they both shift gear and brake the same, and they're both great fun to ride with the really noticeable differences being in the geometry and the handling - I notice absolutely nothing about the components when I'm riding. I doubt you'll notice any difference either.... as has been said earlier and more eloquently by more knowledgeable people, go with whatever bike excites you the most. To me, the frame was the more important component to spend my limited budget on, but everyone's got different wants, needs and constraints.

Top Bottom