Ticking Clicking Bottom Bracket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Okay so I've gone out I was going to have a good look, I pulled the chain out of the way, then undone the 2 hex bolts on the non-drive side but I can't get that to come off, I presumed it would just slide off & then you would pull out the drive-side from the other side, but despite gentle persuasion with a rubber hammer & not so gentle with wooden hammer & block of wood it doesn't seem to want to come, am I missing something, Google is not being my friend

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
sounds like it's been on there for a bit.

Try giving it a few taps from the opposite side first, then wiggle the cranks, then give it a thump again to see if it moves.

They can get quite gunked up, especially if someones overdone it with the grease

I'm assuming you managed to get the non drive side crank off first, if not you may need to put something in the gap to pry it open a bit

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Jam a flat head screw driver in the slot were the screws clamp together and twist to increase the gap and decrease the clamp on the shaft. Wiggle the crank as you do it

(make sure the one/ two hex bolts are really loose first)

I have never needed to use that tool they are showing

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This is the only crank removal tool they've heard of down here;
71tH7V1p4CL._AC_SS350_.jpg
Works every time :laugh:.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Ah okay so the crank arm will come over the top of the endcap?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Scrap all that managed to get a large screwdriver in to remove the endcap

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

In the end I found that I did have an endcap tool it was included within the cheap Aldi set I bought ages ago, so stripped it all down, removed both cranks, checked my bottom bracket spanner will work & put it all back together, something has changed as it now only clicks at 6 o'clock but it's a bit louder. Time to order a new BB now I know I have all the tools to be able to change it, I'll have to live with the click a few more days.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You need to remove the hex bolts to remove the arm and the cap.
the bolts sit in a small grove in the axle to stop it coming off then it has a pinch grip to secure it.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Went out with the grandson yesterday, it started as a single click per revolution but by the time we got back it was back to it's usual 2 clicks, I can actually feel it through the non-drive pedal as it goes round, I've ordered a new Shimano Saint HollowTech II Bottom Bracket Cups Gold 68/73mm from Wiggle be here early next week. Only other thing I did think was could it be the pedals, they are DMR V8's put on in September, I wasn't impressed with the bearings then, they seemed a bit loose, I may chuck a different pair of pedals on to make sure it's not them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom