Ticking Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You good people usually have the knowledge and I expect it is an easy fix.
Had a new cassette fitted by a bike shop prior to bringing my old Allez Sport back to holiday home.
Rode it a few times here and constant ticking in various gears and sometimes am having to "re-engage" the gears so to speak (go back up and down)
It is an old 9 speed Sora so no trim function.
Could it just be a simple adjustment needed?

Thanks in advance.

GetFatty

Über Member
It sounds like you may need to just turn the adjuster. Is the re-engagement mainly going up the cogs or down them? Looking from the rear of the bike, turn the noodle anticlockwise for smoother shifting upwards or clockwise towards the smaller cogs. It's best doing this on a bike stand I've found if you've got one.

It sounds like you may need to just turn the adjuster. Is the re-engagement mainly going up the cogs or down them? Looking from the rear of the bike, turn the noodle anticlockwise for smoother shifting upwards or clockwise towards the smaller cogs. It's best doing this on a bike stand I've found if you've got one.

Cheers I'll give it a go when I go for a ride tomorrow (have guests today)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I find it easiest to set up the indexing by putting the bike into the middle gear at the rear and adjusting so that you can see the top pulley is in line with the middle sprocket. From that starting point it will only require very small adjustments to get it just so.

E-Bikes.. ;)

Must admit mate I have started looking at them!

Top Bottom