tight tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
tightest tyres i have ever had, pulled out the daytona that i got from @DCLane earlier in the year , cleaned it up , its come up quite well, decided to fit new tubes, f3ck me, i have never until today pinched a tube when fitting the tyre, generic 26 x 13/8, got a sweat on and made up several new swear words, 4 cable ties to the rescue, finally wrestled the annoying little bugger on and ................nipped the tube ..... AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH:cursing::cursing::cursing: ...time for a brew before it goes through the window..................

......to be continued....

D

Deleted member 1258

I haven't yet used cable ties when fitting a tyre, but I have successfully used my foot as a tyre lever.

vickster

Legendary Member
LBS ;) (aka life’s too short to spend hours trying to fit recalcitrant tyres!) talc doesn’t help me if the bead is simply too tight for me to get over the rim easily (I have feeble thumbs :unsure:)

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
LBS ;) (aka life’s too short to spend hours trying to fit recalcitrant tyres!) talc doesn’t help me if the bead is simply too tight for me to get over the rim easily (I have feeble thumbs :unsure:)
I'm not sure I have ever managed to get a tyre on with just my thumbs.

I usually resort to tyre levers, I've never understood why people seem to be so against that. I know there is a risk of pinching the tube, but you shouldn't, if you know what you are doing. And with tubeless, that risk disappears :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
LBS... gadzooks, what happens if you get a flat ? Talced tyre and tube and Pedros levers - nothing can defeat that combination.
I very rarely do (only a couple of times out on the road), refitting used tyres are no issue, it's new ones. LBS charges a fiver, a no brainer, my time is far more costly ;).

Most recently I did this as I had already removed 4 tyres and refitted 2 (well 3 as ancient tube decided to go pop when pumped up and had to be redone :crazy:) and I'd lost the will to do any more.

I don't feel any need to be a hero he-man when it comes to tyre fitting :whistle:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not sure I have ever managed to get a tyre on with just my thumbs.

I usually resort to tyre levers, I've never understood why people seem to be so against that. I know there is a risk of pinching the tube, but you shouldn't, if you know what you are doing. And with tubeless, that risk disappears :smile:
I use a lever to get them off, I find them no help to get a tyre over the rim if they just won't go.
Far cheaper to occasionally use an LBS for a fiver a tyre than to swap all my wheels and tyres to tubeless ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A pound a minute. You're not a cheap lass ! :whistle:

Alex321

Veteran
I use a lever to get them off, I find them no help to get a tyre over the rim if they just won't go.
Far cheaper to occasionally use an LBS for a fiver a tyre than to swap all my wheels and tyres to tubeless ;)
I only have one "in-use" bike, so only two wheels. I changed recently to tubeless because I was fed up of the number of punctures I was getting. Ok, it only takes about 5 minutes from realising I have a puncture to being ready to go with the fresh tube in, but it is still time taken, and then a tube to fix when I get home.

I haven't yet come across a tyre too tight to get on with levers. Maybe I've just been lucky in that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had a bad run with sodding thorns - new tyres and additional protection tape should help. Pulling four thorns out of each tyre after one ride was enough. Binned two tubes as the hole was that small, it couldn't be found dipped in water, and the tube wouldn't deflate at low PSI, but once upto 40 PSI, inside the tyre, it wold drop 5 PSI in an hour. Bin....

vickster

Legendary Member
I only have one "in-use" bike, so only two wheels. I changed recently to tubeless because I was fed up of the number of punctures I was getting. Ok, it only takes about 5 minutes from realising I have a puncture to being ready to go with the fresh tube in, but it is still time taken, and then a tube to fix when I get home.

I haven't yet come across a tyre too tight to get on with levers. Maybe I've just been lucky in that.
Good for you :smile:

Alex321

Veteran
I've had a bad run with sodding thorns - new tyres and additional protection tape should help. Pulling four thorns out of each tyre after one ride was enough. Binned two tubes as the hole was that small, it couldn't be found dipped in water, and the tube wouldn't deflate at low PSI, but once upto 40 PSI, inside the tyre, it wold drop 5 PSI in an hour. Bin....

BTDT

Top Bottom