tight tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
https://www.merlincycles.com/kool-s...ng&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=147564&source=PHG

I've got one of these ^^^. Ok, it's another tool to carry when you're out but I use it every time I'm changing a tyre. This, of course, will only be of interest to those who prefer to do it themselves instead of taking it in to the LBS. I've nothing against that, of course. We all have the right to choose.

Big John

Guru
Big John: were you successful with wider tyres, say 30mm+?
I'll be honest.....there's a limit, you're right. I bought the tool years and years ago because I was really struggling with some Panaracer 23mm tyres. Couldn't get them on for love nor money. I've used the tool on 23's and 25's mainly but I did have to use it on fitting a 700 x 35C to the wife's bike last week and I just about got away with it. The tyre was a seriously heavy duty puncture resistant one and judging by the weight of the thing, and total inflexibility of it, it was a pig to get on. 35C I'd say is the absolute widest the tool will work with.

gbs

Guru
If you alert the manufacturer that the market is moving towards fatter tyres he might be receptive to user feedback.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
I've had a bad run with sodding thorns - new tyres and additional protection tape should help. Pulling four thorns out of each tyre after one ride was enough. Binned two tubes as the hole was that small, it couldn't be found dipped in water, and the tube wouldn't deflate at low PSI, but once upto 40 PSI, inside the tyre, it wold drop 5 PSI in an hour. Bin....

Its hedge trimming /cutting /flailing/ripping to shreds with a blunt instrument season once again:cursing:

byegad

Legendary Member
Worst one I had was a 700c Marathon + in the rain which would not come off. I got my wife to bring the car to rescue me.

Next day even a motorcycle lever wouldn't lift it off and I ended up cutting the rim wire on both side of the tyre and hacking the tyre to bits to get the thing off before I wrecked the rim. Deciding to ditch the M+s with Pasela Tourguard tyres, I removed the front one, which again needed a motorcycle lever!
The Paselas never punctured so I don't know if they'd had been as difficult to get off, but they went on OK.

I'm no mechanical idiot and have changed many tyres and tubes without issue. The easiest to deal with is a 406 Big Apple, on a good day I can change them with one lever to start the tyre over the rim and then my thumbs for the rest of the removal and replacement.

mpemburn

This is a poignant one—spent a frustrating half hour changing a tire while itching to get on my ride. It’s not usually that bad, but I think low temperatures exacerbated the problem.

Getting the tire off is usually not bad. I’ve tried various brands of tire irons but will stick with Park from now on.

I have found a couple of tricks for putting the sucker back on: 1) start at the valve, then pull in the last part directly opposite this and 2) face the bead you’re working on away from you and drag the bead back toward you, palms down, using the middle knuckle area of all fingers. The tire should almost be at right angles to the rim. This is especially helpful for those of us with weak or arthritic thumbs.

Sticky Green

We are told to slightly inflate the tube when fitting a tyre. I do this, but once the tube is in place, I let a little air back out. This stops the beads being pushed to the high edges of the rims.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

This is a poignant one—spent a frustrating half hour changing a tire while itching to get on my ride. It’s not usually that bad, but I think low temperatures exacerbated the problem.

Getting the tire off is usually not bad. I’ve tried various brands of tire irons but will stick with Park from now on.

I have found a couple of tricks for putting the sucker back on: 1) start at the valve, then pull in the last part directly opposite this and 2) face the bead you’re working on away from you and drag the bead back toward you, palms down, using the middle knuckle area of all fingers. The tire should almost be at right angles to the rim. This is especially helpful for those of us with weak or arthritic thumbs.

I always start opposite the valve, always have done, was taught to do it that way.

I have had a couple which have been right sods! My fibre glass tyre levers have straightened out due to the strain . I now use a motorcycle tyre lever and some washing up liquid to ease the little blighters over! :angry:

It's a consideration when choosing rims/tyres - I switched from continental GP to Pireli zeros because of the easy/on off of the latter.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
For me age and decreased hand strength has made fitting new tyres , especially Conti Ultra Sports become a right challenge. A fellow club mate recommended a little tool called a tyre key. I've only used it on 25s and 28s but it does do the trick for me and saves a lot of swearing and sore thumbs. Its really light and fits easily in a pocket when cycling.
Tyrekey | The simple, no-pinch tyre tool

For me age and decreased hand strength has made fitting new tyres , especially Conti Ultra Sports become a right challenge. A fellow club mate recommended a little tool called a tyre key. I've only used it on 25s and 28s but it does do the trick for me and saves a lot of swearing and sore thumbs. Its really light and fits easily in a pocket when cycling.
Tyrekey | The simple, no-pinch tyre tool
two boot laces sort pretty much everything for me - apart from two contis I bought which I am pretty sure are mis-specced.

Top Bottom