tight tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If a tyre won't go on without a real struggle even when using a carryable tool such as the tyrekey or Var lever, it's going to be equally difficult, if not more so, when out on the road.

What I did when faced with a similar undersized tyre was to put it on a spare wheel (which must have been slightly smaller), pump it up to 160 psi, and leave it stretching until the alternative tyre I fitted instead had worn out. By that time it was OK - "normal tight".

Slick

Guru
For me age and decreased hand strength has made fitting new tyres , especially Conti Ultra Sports become a right challenge. A fellow club mate recommended a little tool called a tyre key. I've only used it on 25s and 28s but it does do the trick for me and saves a lot of swearing and sore thumbs. Its really light and fits easily in a pocket when cycling.
Tyrekey | The simple, no-pinch tyre tool
You know what, there are loads of ways that you can put a tight tyre on, but I've had a couple of issues with winter tyres lately and I reckon that key is worth a go. Thanks for posting it. :okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Unfortunately, increasingly recalcitrant early onset arthritis in both hands means tyres can be a challenge so given that my road bikes have Continental Gatorskins on I've bought a Cyclepal tool which is a similar idea to the tools listed above. Hopefully I won't need to use it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The tightest I have ever had to deal with are Schwalbe One 16" on Sun CR18 rims (which have no real "well"). In the end I fitted them with the VAR device. Being kevlar beads, they'll be slacker after two weeks inflated on the rim.

I found an ancient video on YouTube after giving myself serious tennis elbow from trying to fit impossible tyres. The trick is to start thumbs together opposite end to where the tyre won't go on and move thumbs away from each other squeezing bead into the center of rim, as if squeezing out air, move thumbs smoothly away from each other all the way around the rim until they meet again using fingers to do same on other side. Basically squeezing the beads towards each other. On the worst tyres you are gaining a mere mm each time but eventually it makes a crucial difference.

Last edited:
I have just purchased the new British invented Tyre lever. Its only 3 inches long and is the best invention since the wheel....👍🏻

Top Bottom