tightening bath mixer tap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Most of those taps tighten with nut onto a fixing stud (not back nuts) so need a tubular box spanner, however if you have a socket set with a long suitable sized socket you should be able to manage from floor level with an extension, gauntlet gloves are a must as has been mentioned.
My ham-fisted kids/wife are always managing to twist my 'pillar type' bath taps through over tightening but, I have always found that it is the big back-nut that becomes loose as opposed to the 15mm/22mm connection nuts. Can I get a back-nut specific open ended spanner, as my adjustable is too big and clumsy to get in properly?

My ham-fisted kids/wife are always managing to twist my 'pillar type' bath taps through over tightening but, I have always found that it is the big back-nut that becomes loose as opposed to the 15mm/22mm connection nuts. Can I get a back-nut specific open ended spanner, as my adjustable is too big and clumsy to get in properly?
For backnuts you need a crowsfoot https://www.screwfix.com/p/basin-wrench/13294 or a basin wrench (better leverage https://www.screwfix.com/p/plumbing-tools-by-rothenberger-telescopic-basin-wrench-32mm/71701

Thanks.. I have the first one which is for the fittings/unions themselves rather than the back-nut but, the second one may do the trick so I'll take a look when I'm allowed out :okay:
If your lucky then most old fashioned crowsfeet had staggered jaws with the ends stepped to fit 2(?) sizes of union nut (only 3/4 end) but also a conex backnut (1/2 end the is just has std backnut and union size). The second tool will work well, though I have to visualise the nut to get lefty loosy and righty tighty to work upside down (or is it...).

carlosfandangus

Über Member
A Plumber would use one of these,

View attachment 517781
I have one of those and a similar issue with the hot tap, however the bath doesn't get used really, we have a separate shower, my bath has both taps against an outside wall on the side in the middle, my plan is (eventually) make an access panel in the garage ceiling below the bath and access from there.
My fault entirely I fitted the bath!! 1/4 turn German taps so they have been twisted the wrong way with force by the kids.

JPBoothy

Veteran
A powerful torch and a decent sized inspection mirror on a telescopic pole come in handy.
BTW, why didn't you try the @swee'pea99 technique and create a giant access hole in the end of the bathtub with an angle grinder?????
I was impressed by their ingenuity but, I would have to go outside and cut through the gable wall to do that so I think that is definitely plan b,c or z for now.. I'll check out the Crows foot in my tool box though, and hopefully if like the ones around my eyes it will have got bigger since I last looked :okay:

Top Bottom