Tights over bib shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DogmaStu

Thanks Ian - I have looked for these options without much success. I do have one pair of unpadded cycling longs which are a few years old but in good condition. It just doesn't make sense to have 5 pairs of padded cycling longs when you can have one pair of unpadded cycling and shorts - shorts which are used all year round. I'm assuming that companies like Wiggle / manufacturers are keen to sell the padded options as they cost more meaning they make a greater profit...?

I totally appreciate what you are saying and it is fine to cut costs where alternatives exist that work for you but don't mistake good-quality Winter bib tights as being 'only for profit' with no added value to the wearer and not making 'sense'. I have a far greater tolerance for heat than cold and will happily train in 35C+. For others, it is the opposite. Bib tights keep me cycling in the colder months.

If climate and personal cold-weather resistance permit, a decent pair of arm and leg-warmers are all you would need while wearing Summer kit.

When living in South Africa and Portugal, this is all I needed.

But here in Blighty? I've learnt that good bib tights are night and day superior at keeping me warm in colder months. I have Autumn versions, Winter and Deep-Winter - all have their place. They are very comfortable, warm and some add wind protection and rain protection too.

Bib tights specifically made for Winter weather from sub-zero to 10C are excellent options and do actually work notably better than just adding leg-warmers. I have 7 pairs from Castelli, Santini, Rapha and Cycology. All do a fine job. Naturally, all matched to various long-sleeve jerseys and jackets for all weathers.

icowden

Veteran
Spotted two riders still in shorts yesterday, going very fast, obviously to avoid getting cold...................
Some of us just don't mind cold legs. I always wear shorts. i think it's a hold over from prep school where shorts were compulsory whatever the weather.

bobdaspider

Regular
I totally appreciate what you are saying and it is fine to cut costs where alternatives exist that work for you but don't mistake good-quality Winter bib tights as being 'only for profit' with no added value to the wearer and not making 'sense'. I have a far greater tolerance for heat than cold and will happily train in 35C+. For others, it is the opposite. Bib tights keep me cycling in the colder months.

If climate and personal cold-weather resistance permit, a decent pair of arm and leg-warmers are all you would need while wearing Summer kit.

When living in South Africa and Portugal, this is all I needed.

But here in Blighty? I've learnt that good bib tights are night and day superior at keeping me warm in colder months. I have Autumn versions, Winter and Deep-Winter - all have their place. They are very comfortable, warm and some add wind protection and rain protection too.

Bib tights specifically made for Winter weather from sub-zero to 10C are excellent options and do actually work notably better than just adding leg-warmers. I have 7 pairs from Castelli, Santini, Rapha and Cycology. All do a fine job. Naturally, all matched to various long-sleeve jerseys and jackets for all weathers.

Thanks @DogmaStu, I hear what you're saying about the bib tights - which is fair enough. Maybe I'm just tight (excuse the pun) and don't fancy spending more than I need to 🤔

Jenkins

Legendary Member

simongt

Guru
i think it's a hold over from prep school where shorts were compulsory whatever the weather.
Same here, longers as we called them, weren't permitted until the Lower 5th.
But then, 'shorts' stopped just above the knee and socks began just below the knee, so not a lot of bare leg exposed to get cold - ! :laugh:

icowden

Veteran
Same here, longers as we called them, weren't permitted until the Lower 5th.
But then, 'shorts' stopped just above the knee and socks began just below the knee, so not a lot of bare leg exposed to get cold - ! :laugh:

True!

bobdaspider

Regular
The Planet X Clubman Roubaix bib longs are unpadded and nice & warm in the cold weather. They used to frequently be on offer for £20 or less, but I don't know how often this will happen under the new management
https://www.planetx.co.uk/products/planet-x-clubman-roubaix-winter-bib-tights?variant=43837859299558

Have a look at running tights for your un padded winter longs. The Ron Hill winter ones are nice and toasty through the winter.

Thanks @Ming the Merciless for the RH tip - will have a look

Jameshow

Veteran
I have a pair of sun dried tights they really are tights! Surprised they haven't laddered yet. Completely different to ronhills or other more traditional shorts. Unpadded too.

bobdaspider

Regular
As a final word on this subject, the option of unpadded bib tights are mentioned in the GCN video 'The Ultimate Cycling Kit Guide For Cold Weather Rides' (released a year ago) but even though this option is, in theory, available, seemingly manufacturers just want us cyclists to spend yet more money on a more expensive option...

geocycle

Legendary Member
I gave up padded shorts a few years ago. I have a couple of pairs of endura multisport tights for autumn and early spring and some Gore and Lusso winter weight tights. Summer is loose shorts courtesy of endura, Rohan and Rapha.

Sallar55

Veteran
Assos and co all decided to just offer longs with pads. A disaster, cold in the morning longs over padded shorts what happens when it heats up longs off. Now do we strip off and put the shorts on , its not Continental Europe with a climate that's predictable in the winter months.

Top Bottom