Time for a step up - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
That certainly looks like a great deal. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the configuration options, I will need to speak to one of their human beings !

Well from my experience they will be more than happy and helpful.

That would put me off straight away ;) not having something different from the masses :smile:

Lol - not at that sort of money - I do ride an alu giant defy as my winter bike, which cost me £300 used ! - If we were talking spending £2.5k + I would want something a bit blingy ! -( but lets not go there on this thread !)

vickster

Legendary Member
Lol - not at that sort of money - I do ride an alu giant defy as my winter bike, which cost me £300 used ! - If we were talking spending £2.5k + I would want something a bit blingy ! -( but lets not go there on this thread !)
Even for a grand you can easily get something the rest of the MAMILs haven't discovered ;)

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Narrowing down the hunt - my lbs has an end of season sale. I want to support the shop as it has offered excellent service in the past and I would like to see it continue in the future. They have a Giant Defy Advanced 2 on sale for £1,331, which is £20 or so quid cheaper than Rutland Cycles are offering in their sale (also a relatively close lbs). Its a medium frame so I'm going to have to have a test ride - I'm very much on the border or small & medium. More importantly in a rather fetching shade of orange:
defy-advance-2.jpg

Johnno260

Veteran
Very nice.

I was the same with my first roadie, I wanted to support the LBS I could’ve gotten a better deal online, but you don’t get the service, and that’s priceless imo.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Sadly I tried a few LBS and the price was not the issue the lack of any decent service was :sad: shame really more then happy to support local shops.

Johnno260

Veteran
Sadly I tried a few LBS and the price was not the issue the lack of any decent service was :sad: shame really more then happy to support local shops.

I really can't complain, they aren't the cheapest, but I can drop in anytime and they sort out niggles on the spot.

Very nice for that sort of money.
Hydro discs as well - the only slight downside is the brake levers and shifters - I know a lot of people don't like that on the 105 gruppo (all change for latest 105 groupset) - not a major issue just thought I wouldn't mention it - and to nudge up to ultegra would be a considerable outlay.

If you can buy local - its much better.

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Very nice for that sort of money.
Hydro discs as well - the only slight downside is the brake levers and shifters - I know a lot of people don't like that on the 105 gruppo (all change for latest 105 groupset) - not a major issue just thought I wouldn't mention it - and to nudge up to ultegra would be a considerable outlay.

If you can buy local - its much better.
Thanks for the tip - I'll look out for that when I'm testing the bike.
The shop was fantastic when I was getting ready for my Spain tour - carried out all manor of random bits of fettling on my bike and provided some excellent advice .

Top Bottom