Time for action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

magnatom said:
Ha! Read my posts ya muppet! ;) You will actually find that I would happily have someone female and pretty heading this campaign. I'm no media expert, but having someone who comes across well and is a representative of the group of people this needs to be most aimed at (female cyclists). As well as that, a pretty female face would appeal to the almost exclusively male skip/lorry drivers.

I'll quite happily slink into the background.

Why does it mainly need to be aimed at female cyclists?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

bonj said:
Why does it mainly need to be aimed at female cyclists?

It is mainly female cyclist who are getting killed. I don't personally have the numbers, but someone earlier pointed out it was something like 5 female, 1 male this year. ;)

bonj2

magnatom said:
It is mainly female cyclist who are getting killed. I don't personally have the numbers, but someone earlier pointed out it was something like 5 female, 1 male this year. ;)

If it's an uneven distribution it must be something to do with differences in behaviour of female cyclists to male. e.g. females ride close to the kerb too much.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

bonj said:
If it's an uneven distribution it must be something to do with differences in behaviour of female cyclists to male. e.g. females ride close to the kerb too much.
There is a suggestion that male cyclists being more aggressive tend to be at the front of queues (jumping red lights etc) that make them less likely to be left hooked. Not sure I buy that...

However, it wouldn't just be aimed at ladies. I'll lead it if I have to, but I think others may be better suited.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I'll keep an eye on this thread and its movements and i'll offer any help I can if I can.

Good luck!

Power to the cyclist!

Jake

good god, this is one of the reasons I don't like this forum much (but still post). I find that not matter what you say, there is at least someone who will say the opposite. If you say something is white they will say its black just to be awkward. Its not about debate or different views, i think some people on here are jerks. Views/opinions are like peanuts, everyone has got one. If you don't want to help save laves, or at least try, then SHUT UP.

So Mag', someone needs to do a storyboard if there is going to be a video, any ides who is designing a poster? The more possitive people on board, the better, other chat groups etc.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Calm down Jake, it's not that bad!;)

I have no problems with anything anyone has said on this thread. I don't necessarily agree but I think it is good to have those who are anti the idea. It make you reassess what you are doing, and why you are doing it, IMO. ;)

bonj said:

I wonder if womans smaller size ever comes into it? Harder to see in mirrors or the corner of your eye...if you looked? Not much in it really is there.

An old friend was killed by an HGV at a T-junction whist she commuting to work, she was trying to right and HGV must have swung out right to turn left.
So, it's just not a good idea to pass on the right or left of something that has to swing out a different way to how its indicating and the back end usually cutting in, not always obvious!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh I should add, I've never done a story board etc. I'll try and jot some ideas down and post them here. My mind hasn't got that far yet.

If anyone else has ideas please put them up here. I'm certainly no expert at this, so any help is appreciated! ;)

Jake

lol sorry, just got int from the heat. rather hot out there, phew! yes i tihnk i needed a little rant. Yes its good to have different opinions and views for sure. *throws cup of water over head*

yes i guess things are getting ahead of themselves a little, good to get excited about a project

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I don't think I've said this explicitly, but my idea of a theme would be patience, i.e. for the cyclist to hand back or for the HGV to hang back. If this campaign worked the patience theme could be applied elsewhere, i.e. close passes, red light jumping etc. Lack of it is the cause of most of the problems on the road in my opinion...

scouserinlondon

magnatom said:
I don't think I've said this explicitly, but my idea of a theme would be patience, i.e. for the cyclist to hand back or for the HGV to hang back. If this campaign worked the patience theme could be applied elsewhere, i.e. close passes, red light jumping etc. Lack of it is the cause of most of the problems on the road in my opinion...
patience not patients if you will.

I think the best way to get the most impact of our spare time and blagged favours is for us to be really clear on exactly what our message, call to action etc is.

then we can think of lots of things to do including putting pressure on MPs, raising awareness and making cool web stuff.

If our message is - 'be patient' then that's great. If it's specifically 'don't go down the left of HGV's then that's cool too' but the more simple the more impactful.

Top Bottom