Time for action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Magnatom - I'm in; I can lend a hand campaign wise as have been involved with community campaigns before so can help with strategy etc; photography perhaps; I can even lend my youthful pretty female face - am down in London. Have a broadsheet media contact.

Bigtwin said:
To make a real difference, one needs fundamental changes at local and central government level. There are already very well organised and funded bodies campainging very effectively there ("very" is a relative concept here of course). Sometimes less is more, perhaps better to fall in with one of those and use their resources. Other than that, any impact is going to be very small/local.

As for this bigtwin - people will not change their behaviour because they have been told to from above ie government - changes, effective ones at least come from people understanding through education and learning and this often happens at a grassroots level.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Slightly off topic, but relevant. As mentionned before, females perhaps do not realise the danger of vehicles turning left. I thought I did until yesterday!

I was walking along a main road, where there are separate outlined paths for cyclists and pedestrians. As I approached a side road, the entrance to a large industrial estate, I heard the sound of a large engine approach me from behind and so I stopped well before the kerb.

Even so, I was shocked by how far over onto the other side of the road, (into which he was turning) he drove before turning and then how close he came to the pavement near to where I was. I had the space behind me to move back a further three yards, so I did. Seeing the turning space he needed was eye-opening to say the least. Further surprising, I knew they needed space to turn, but not how the back trailer "cuts" in on the corner. I have been driving for over thirty years, but a different perspective was obviously needed. Without being sexist, the males on here probably already knew that, but young females - I would doubt it. Don't ask me the weight of the truck but it was one of those with a seperate cab and a trailer about twenty or thirty feet long.

I am not sure how I can help in your idea, Magnatom, but I think it is a good idea. We have lots of people on this forum who could pool their expertise and ideas.

Jake

there are loads of places to hand out leaflets, there is always some event on in brockwell park. bit late for nude cyclist day ;o)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

No 10, hmmm would the UK stand for another Scottish PM?! :biggrin:

Thanks ttcycle. That's an excellent offer. Of course your post is useless without pictures....;):smile:

I think we need to come up with a communication strategy before we come up with a campaign strategy. I wonder if we need a seperate section somewhere here to allow us to conduct this on multiple threads, i.e. thread for video content, thread for publicity strategy etc...

I think it is important to keep as much discussion public as this is a open source campaign after all!

Bigtwin

ttcycle said:
As for this bigtwin - people will not change their behaviour because they have been told to from above ie government - changes, effective ones at least come from people understanding through education and learning and this often happens at a grassroots level.

Whatever - it's not a question of telling people and I didn't say it was. But you're fooling yourself if you think you are going to get big grassroots impact without pushing it down from the top.

What needs to happen is proper provision, appropriate street lay-out and furniture, training in schools etc etc.

Like I said, crack on and good luck with it. I've just been involved in too many of these things before to have anything other than realistic ideas of what can be done. For ever one you hear about, there are a thousand you don't. And while everyone raves about the impact of the web on an internet forum, in the real world, almost nothing gets beyond niche cult viewing.

Think of the minimal impact of properly funded campaigns that everyone has an interest in and take no effort to do - prostrate cancer checking would be one example, anti litter campaings another, and so on. Still sod all people take any notice.

Everyone thinks publicity and campaigning is easy. And it is. Changing people's behaviour with it isn't - it's very very difficult.

And remember, this problem is a big deal to us. In the big scheme of things it's a non event. Look at the number of children killed on our roads each year - look at the overall numbers. We all know speed kills due to to massive media campaigns - then look at behaviour on roads.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Speicher,

I don't think it is just the ladies who don't get this, but yes you are right that a lot of people don't understand. I have seen trucks sit in the right lane with left indicators on.

I remember saying to my wife a few years back, 'what's he up to!' She pointed out to me that he needed to be there to make it around the corner! (I hadn't passed my driving test then! :biggrin:).

Jake

have you begun to make a list of who can do what, and location?

was not sure about PM just yet, more a publicity thing of handing poster, video, petition in to get more free media interest

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Magnatom

That's what makes me think that some people expect to be able to zip thru on his near side. The truck looks like it is going straight on, then turns, then the trailer cuts the corner. The truck driver is watching the traffic, so has not noticed (understandably) the smaller cyclist on his left.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bigtwin said:
Everyone thinks publicity and campaigning is easy. And it is. Changing people's behaviour with it isn't - it's very very difficult.

...but it only takes one person to actually make a change. If I can change one persons attitude and actions, it is worth it for me. Everything else is a bonus.

Too many people (not personal) just throw in the towel. Thats one of societies biggest problems. The more people who fight for what they believe in the better in my opinion.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Jake said:
have you begun to make a list of who can do what, and location?

was not sure about PM just yet, more a publicity thing of handing poster, video, petition in to get more free media interest

Not yet. I've got to get on with some work. If someone has the time to compile a list that would be great!:biggrin:

Bigtwin

magnatom said:
...but it only takes one person to actually make a change. If I can change one persons attitude and actions, it is worth it for me. Everything else is a bonus.

Too many people (not personal) just throw in the towel. That's one of societies biggest problems. The more people who fight for what they believe in the better in my opinion.

Then you'd be be better off standing at the side of the road and talking to people actually in the situation. That's bang for your buck.

Web oddities and t-shirts do jack. It's just the way it is.

bonj2

Everyone writes to not only their MP but also the candidates standing against them at the next general election, asking them what they plan to do about road safety.

We then keep a "roll of honour" of those who have taken the initiative to do this.

Is it possible to find out the names and addresses of the candidates who are seeking to stand for election as well as the MP?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
magnatom said:
Of course your post is useless without pictures....;):smile:
quote]

Dearie me Magnatom - I have no pictures at work - you'll just have to take my word for it!! Here take this emoticon instead :biggrin: lmao

but it only takes one person to actually make a change. If I can change one persons attitude and actions, it is worth it for me. Everything else is a bonus.

Too many people (not personal) just throw in the towel. Thats one of societies biggest problems. The more people who fight for what they believe in the better in my opinion.

+1

Jake

Everything and everyone started somewhere. What did that old chap say on the tv clips you see now and again:

"we choose to go to the moon..., not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

if you don't try, we would all be stuck riding around on buffolo and complaining about being stabbed by their horns lol

Top Bottom