Time for action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Plax said:
I'll volunteer. Not quite sure what I can do as I don't really make videos and there's not all that many cyclists here compared to the big cities but I can certainly do some kind of "campaigning" I suppose!

Excellent! I can see it now...

....and now i'll pass you over to our Welsh correspondent! :biggrin:

Plax

Guru
magnatom said:
Excellent! I can see it now...

....and now i'll pass you over to our Welsh correspondent! ;)

:biggrin: Well from a publicity point of view, I am female and there does seem to be a higher than average number of females crushed by large left turning vehicles. Your average unconfident female cyclists might relate better to another female.

Just a thought while I was reading this: I've driven over the Woodhead pass and on some roads in Lincolnshire lately and I've noticed signs, which I'm guessing are put up by the local authority to try and grab the thought of motorbikers.
They're yellow signs, mounted low down, with a picture of a biker, and an eye catching phrase such as 'Bend DEAD ahead' or 'Worth DYING for'. They appear on straights or corners and have the DEATH part highlighted.

Do any of the bikers on here have an opinion on whether these change behaviour?

Imagine a sign at a left hook spot, picture of truck beside cycle, and a message like 'DYING to undertake' or 'Left turn DEAD ahead'. Would that change behaviour?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Plax said:
:biggrin: Well from a publicity point of view, I am female and there does seem to be a higher than average number of females crushed by large left turning vehicles. Your average unconfident female cyclists might relate better to another female.

Very true. If your pretty and have a gentle Welsh accent then you can consider yourself hired as the face of the campaign! ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Nigel,

Maybe. The problem is there is so much road furniture in cities that they tend to be ignored. However, some form of signage at particular 'hot spots' is certainly something worth considering.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I should also add, if anyone here works with the media or has media contacts who might be interested in this (I might have a couple of contacts myself) then this would be useful as well.

wesa

I'm no good at editing video or pictures, I am not a publicist, I am not in the media and I don't know anyone who is, I am not female & I am not attractive.

But I am willing to help:smile:

edit - and I live a long way from Glasgow!

PBancroft

I might be willing to get involved, depending on how the video was made. I've shot videos before (I'll post a link to one later) and they are very varied in how watchable they are.

The only thing I would say is that spreading a viral message like this through the Internet would not be easy. You would need to strike the very fine balance between giving a serious message, and making it something people would want to watch. Think: Did you see the moonwalking bear?

Crankarm

Guru
Kaipaith said:
I might be willing to get involved, depending on how the video was made. I've shot videos before (I'll post a link to one later) and they are very varied in how watchable they are.

The only thing I would say is that spreading a viral message like this through the Internet would not be easy. You would need to strike the very fine balance between giving a serious message, and making it something people would want to watch. Think: Did you see the moonwalking bear?

There's a moon walking bear!? It's amazing what they have managed to put up there. All he needs now is a bike :biggrin:.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I have nothing to offer but encouragement.

And to do that, I'd point out that there have been YouTube clips that substantial proportions of the UK population must have seen, or at least heard of. Word spreads and everyone gets to hear of it. Little input from the National Media is required.

Go for it and do your worst, Magnatom et al.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

wesa,

All help is gratefully accepted! I'm sure we can find something for you to do! :biggrin:

Kaipath,

Obviously we need to think about the approach we take, I certainly haven't worked that out yet, and hopefully when enough people have shown an interest in doing this, we can come up with a strategy.

I'm not sure a 'pure' internet approach is the way that I would go. Yes we would certainly need interwebby presence, but that's why I think we need to get the conventional media involved as well.

Another way forward would be if we could get family of someone who has been killed in this way involved. Obviously this would have to be done with some care, but again, that would increase media interest.

These are just thoughts at the moment, more thoughts and suggestions are of course welcome!

PBancroft

Your idea about swapping out the cyclist for polystyrene is a good one. I would be tempted to make a switch back to the cyclist again after the impact, battered and crushed.

Just to bring the realism home.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Another random thought. I'm not a fan, but the Take That song Patience would seem appropriate as a soundtrack if we were to base the campaign/video on this concept.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Kaipaith said:
Your idea about swapping out the cyclist for polystyrene is a good one. I would be tempted to make a switch back to the cyclist again after the impact, battered and crushed.

Just to bring the realism home.

Yes, something along those lines. I think you would have to have a crushed bike, helmet some personal effects etc to help bring the message home.

Jake

I'm with Magantron here. Something needs to be done, and if we sit here and do nothing, then nothing will get done - WILL IT? Give it a go, see who picks up on it, send it in to tv magazine shows such as GMTV, BBC Breakfast and Good mornig. Is Judy and Richard still going on? The poolice can get a copy, and lorry companies around town.

I edit videos, make websites, got a film crew here, but used to fiming people with not much on.

Top Bottom