Time to change an inner tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dub-no-bass

I seem to be incredibly slow at changing inner tubes. On my old hybrid, which had Bontrager Hardcase Lite tyres, it would take me about 45 minutes just to get the tyre off, check it for debris, swap the inner tube for a new one, get the tyre back on, inflate the tube and get the wheel back on the bike.

My new road bike has just incurred its first puncture and the tyres come off the rims a bit more easily, but it still took me about 25 minutes. Is this normal? Am I just rubbish at changing inner tubes?

02GF74

Über Member
yes.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've never timed myself - 25 minutes does sound long, but then if you're searching the tyre for the nasty that caused your unplanned deflation (and it's not immediately obvious) or you're using a mini-pump of tiny dimensions to pump up your tyres to, say, 145psi, it's not excessive... :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
It does sound a long time and obviously you want to be mobile again ASAP but it takes as long as it takes and it's best to be thorough. Rush it and you could be flat again inside a few yards.

Bill Gates

I've punctured twice in the last couple of weeks. Each time I was careful to check the tyre for anything that might still be embedded to prevent another puncture occuring. Around 15 minutes taken both times. 25 minutes is too long.

You should have been on the last FNRttC - you could have had lots of practice at improving your speed!

Seriously though, what is it that takes the most time - getting the tyre off or replacing the inner tube and putting the tyre back on? Some tyres are extremely hard to remove and require 3 hands and 4 tyre levers, whilst others can be removed by fingers alone.

yello

It's not a race. It takes as long as it takes you to do the job properly, and that's the important thing.

I couldn't tell you how long I take. Sometimes I really do take my time and enjoy the quiet at the side of the road (btw, I do realise busy London is different to rural France!). I'll even fix a puncture at the side of the road sometimes, even though I'm carrying a spare tube, and just enjoy it all.

Garz

Squat Member
betty swollocks said:
It gets quicker with practice, but this is something ou don't want to have a lot of practice in if you can help it:angry:

This.

I have had one a couple of weeks back and then one yesterday, both on the bloody rear tyre too! :ohmy:

The second flat was due to a faulty rubber bonding right by the valve so had to bin it. I put my new 'winter' tyres on yesterday though while I had it stripped and they feel far more gripper than my original slicks.

You will get better but as BS has said only through misfortune, so that is the only positive from a flat! :wacko:

brokenbetty

Über Member
Takes me forever. Of that, 85% of forever is getting the tire off in the first place, 5% to check for spikey bits and swap the tube, and 10% to get the tire back on.

It takes a lot less time at home when I can sit down and wash up afterwards, so it's trying to avoid getting my clothes mucky that makes the job so hard.

Having got a puncture yesterday (first one on the new bike so that's about 2,100 miles) I timed myself. 5½ minutes, although I was fortunate in finding my Stelvio tyres are really easy to remove as I didn't need to use any tyre levers. Most of the time was probably due to pumping, as I've only got a small mini-pump.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My confession

Well, until last Saturday, I had never even attempted to take a tyre off a rim in all my living days, but the rain was pouring down outside. I thought I would practice in the cosy warmth of my sitting room. I Googled some stuff, and got the tyre off quickly, but getting the inner tube back on, with the tyre, completely defeated me for an hour.
Enter the Park Tool website, brilliant! Got the whole thing back on quickly, and felt very pleased with myself. The only problem was that the stuff was flat again in ten minutes. Yes, I had a visit from the pinch fairey from over-enthusiastic use of the tyre lever.

Thirty minutes later, I had a patch repair, and everything back in place, and it held for a twenty mile ride on Sunday.

At about 120 minutes, do I get a prize for the slowest repair of all time?

Top Bottom