Time to hang up my frame and maybe flog it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dunbar

Über Member
I am 81 years old now. In 1965 I bought my present bike, from Frank Dyke's shop in Winson Green, Birmingham. He told me the frame was a Major Nichols frame. Research leads me to believe it might not be, but it is certainly in his 'style'. I can't see why Frank Dyke would give me a line, because for one thing, Major's shop was just a couple of miles away, and I could have checked had I felt the need. However I had no reason to suspect the frame wasn't a Nichols. It is a nice frame, but it could be a bit whippy when I had a full bag of carpenters' tools behind me!! But aside from that the bike has taken me for miles.

I did make an appointment to see Major, to seek a repaint, but he wasn't too keen. He had suffered a break-in at his shop and he was a bit gutted over that. When I told him I had also been in the RN, he cheered up, changed his mind, and asked me to take the bike to him. Sadly though, he became ill shortly afterwards, and I never got around to that.

Now, with two artificial knees, and a recent bout of cellulitis, I don't think I will ever ride again.
Someone might fancy this lightweight, so when this lock-down is over I shall probably get it running again, and make it 'sale-worthy'.
As a result I am thinking about a new gear-set altogether, and while Shimano might seem a good bet, for authenticity it should be Huret (can you still buy those?} Otherwise a Campagnolo set would be of the right vintage.

Hope this is an interesting bit of nostalgia.
John

It sounds like a lovely frame and I will be the first but certainly not the last to ask if you have any photos you could post.

In terms of components old Huret gear sets do crop up, but if you intend selling I would question whether rebuilding is, in financial terms, a good idea.

It is rare for a complete bike to sell for an amount close to the “ sum of its parts” , especially when the frame and the components are rare and Sought after. Of course,, it is not always all about the money. There can be a great deal of satisfaction in bringing a bike back to life and finding it a good home. Quite literally “you pay your money and make your choice”.

Have I mentioned that photos would be good:smile:

carpenter

Über Member
Given the time that you have had the bike/personal memories/happy times together wouldn't it be worthwhile putting up some brackets and hanging it on a wall?
Seriously, I think it is something that I would consider with a classic bike - far more skill and artistry in a classic bike than a lot of paintings that end up on display :smile:

PS: I would love to see a photograph (or two).

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Good morning @Dunbar sorry to hear that you are considering letting your bike and memories go , I am in agreement with @BalkanExpress about mounting it in your house if allowed so you can still see it and have the memories .

Once it goes to someone else you won't have the same connection . In my garage are similar aged classic bikes where like you the previous owners have stopped cycling for what ever reason .

I kept in touch as I was asked by one of the previous owners but sadly all 3 are no longer with us and not one of the families gives a hoot about a relative's old bike .

If you are adamant about getting rid of it then I could certainly be interested but it would have to wait until the current situation end's and who knows when that will be .

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You'd be better off selling it as a frameset. Someone might prefer to run it as a fixed (pretty common back then, and a lot of classic frames end up as fixies now because they look more elegant) or with a geared hub. It would have been built to the buyer's preference anyway.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Hang it on the wall? Not for me that suggestion. A Bicycle is best used as a bicycle not an ornament. If it were me, i would be happier in the knowledge others are gaining new memories in service of a such a bicycle and being proud that i kept a bicycle on the road that long and i salute John for that. Good Luck.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I am 81 years old now. In 1965 I bought my present bike, from Frank Dyke's shop in Winson Green, Birmingham. He told me the frame was a Major Nichols frame. Research leads me to believe it might not be, but it is certainly in his 'style'. I can't see why Frank Dyke would give me a line, because for one thing, Major's shop was just a couple of miles away, and I could have checked had I felt the need. However I had no reason to suspect the frame wasn't a Nichols. It is a nice frame, but it could be a bit whippy when I had a full bag of carpenters' tools behind me!! But aside from that the bike has taken me for miles.

I did make an appointment to see Major, to seek a repaint, but he wasn't too keen. He had suffered a break-in at his shop and he was a bit gutted over that. When I told him I had also been in the RN, he cheered up, changed his mind, and asked me to take the bike to him. Sadly though, he became ill shortly afterwards, and I never got around to that.

Now, with two artificial knees, and a recent bout of cellulitis, I don't think I will ever ride again.
Someone might fancy this lightweight, so when this lock-down is over I shall probably get it running again, and make it 'sale-worthy'.
As a result I am thinking about a new gear-set altogether, and while Shimano might seem a good bet, for authenticity it should be Huret (can you still buy those?} Otherwise a Campagnolo set would be of the right vintage.

Hope this is an interesting bit of nostalgia.
John
Thanks for this post.
Sorry to hear you might not be able to keep cycling and are thinking of passing on your lightweight. I'm sure the bike holds many great memories.

Really interesting to learn more of Birmingham bike history and of one the greats of frame building. There are seven known Major Nichols frames built for Frank Dyke's shop (including Major's MN frame number and paint finish), according to the Major Nichols website:
'F Dyke (known examples, full MN no and finish) – 7' https://majornichols.co.uk/the-other-bikes-that-major-built/

There's also information of the Dyke shop in Winson Green, here at the Birmingham history site, in a thread regarding Bill Gameson: https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/gameson-cycles.4343/#post-375724

There will be many people who would look after such a good frame, keeping it on the road, and I'm sure the people who run the Major Nichols website would love to hear about your bike.

On the other hand, I could quite easily keep a Major frame, pride of place, on the wall (as we saw at The National Cycle Museum!).
I know I've regretted getting rid of a bike that meant a lot to me.

All the best.

Top Bottom