Time to reveal the LOOK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Excellent, I'm so glad you held out to secure this @woodbutcher:okay: Its a stunner and I think the nicest of the options you posted while you were 'looking', so well done for being patient, defo worth the wait.

I like a bit of a colour explosion and just seeing that puts a smile on my face, and as the owner I'm sure you're the same, whether its from across the room while its parked up, or gazing down at it while riding in the sunshine. This will guarantee to add smiles to your miles.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the decals as mentioned in the other thread, as I am still looking to get some for my Bottecchia. The bloke I was going to use never got back to me, I tried the transfer ones from Ebay and they are not quite right so I need some vinyl cut ones.

Happy riding, welcome to the world of puddle dodging and trying to keep all that shiny chrome and lovely paint clean^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

Thats a lovely bike, are the forks and handlebars original? They both look strange.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Taken me a while to se
Excellent, I'm so glad you held out to secure this @woodbutcher:okay: Its a stunner and I think the nicest of the options you posted while you were 'looking', so well done for being patient, defo worth the wait.

I like a bit of a colour explosion and just seeing that puts a smile on my face, and as the owner I'm sure you're the same, whether its from across the room while its parked up, or gazing down at it while riding in the sunshine. This will guarantee to add smiles to your miles.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the decals as mentioned in the other thread, as I am still looking to get some for my Bottecchia. The bloke I was going to use never got back to me, I tried the transfer ones from Ebay and they are not quite right so I need some vinyl cut ones.

Happy riding, welcome to the world of puddle dodging and trying to keep all that shiny chrome and lovely paint clean^_^
Thanks booze and cake, l must admit that l cant stop smiling at the moment and it is great to see the reactions of the French people that come to see it. Everyone without fail gets misty eyed and usually starts going on about Bernard Hinault, the fact that he was riding the earlier 979 ( l think) doesn't seem to be important.
As a matter of interest the shop which supplied the bike originally P. Beraud in Frejus is still going strong so l am thinking of contacting them with the frame number to see if there is any info. re previous owner etc.
I will let you know how things work out with the decals !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thats a lovely bike, are the forks and handlebars original? They both look strange.
Yes the fork is original to this model KG 243 , l must admit that they do take a bit of getting used to:smile: You are right to be suspicious about the bars though, they are not original and l will do some research to try to find what should be on the bike .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just back from a visit to get the opinion of my LBS regarding the Look. He is a very laid back guy name of Thierry Tran Duc . His first comment was about the bars which he said are too wide, to deep and the wrong shape and in any case would make the bike very difficult to ride for someone of my size (think Julian Alaphilippe rather than Tom Dumoulin) That is size only, not cycling ability:bicycle:. So l will see what he can do about finding a more appropriate set. The other good news is that he knows the owner of the shop in Frejus which sold the bike originally back in 1990/2, be nice to go full circle and get in touch with them for any info they have regarding the bike .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran

The two people that have been helpful on the decal problem so far are gil@thecycleshed.co.uk and john@retrobike.co.uk
Gil will make up decals to your design, to order ! Hope they can help .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Found another one that make cut out vinyl , they seem pretty decent quality
https://www.stickermule.com/uses/custom-decals

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just make sure you get the right type , lugged or not and then diameter and length
l left the bike with my LBS for a thorough check up but forgot to mention the quick release thingy. I collected the bike this afternoon and very happy to hear that it has been well looked after and the only thing Thierry did was to get rid of "that horrible " QR... his words !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Sounds like a good guy. :notworthy:
Yes he is and very helpful in sourcing bits and pieces, when l first met him l could tell he was the real deal, his workshop is small but very nicely equipped and at first glance looks like total chaos, my kind of heaven:angel:. He is also very positive that l change nothing (apart from the bars) because it has a complete Shimano groupset contemporary with the bike.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes he is and very helpful in sourcing bits and pieces, when l first met him l could tell he was the real deal, his workshop is small but very nicely equipped and at first glance looks like total chaos, my kind of heaven:angel:. He is also very positive that l change nothing (apart from the bars) because it has a complete Shimano groupset contemporary with the bike.
My favourite bike shop, anything above 6 on the back and I'll go somewhere else but he is a fantastic wheelbuilder.

View: https://youtu.be/VEfWWmQhWLk

Top Bottom