Time Trial PB's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Who keeps a tally of the total? The rider? How easy is this to verify should the need arise or a query be raised? Given that at present many riders can't even write a time on a form correctly, will riders be filling it in correctly when adopting a more complicated system (especially when you start adding in things such as which types of event count toward which entries, for example club event results not counting toward National entries)?

That is before you even start to consider how highly dependant placing is on the quality and the size of the field in which you compete! I've been 2 mins clear of the rest of the field in a 10 before, yet been outside of the top 5 on other days, even on the same course, yet my times have been within +-10 seconds for both cases.
As I said, suggested to me a while ago. Simple, yes, workable and probably ends up complicated, yes and no.
As was once quoted "to every problem there is an obvious and simple solution, which is usually wrong!"

gds58

Über Member
A simple system was suggested to me a while ago. Winner of any TT gets one point down to however many places (say 120?).
When entering other races, best 10 results from the beginning of previous season to entry date are taken for a points total, lowest total gets in first. No need for risk taking in the traffic on some of the "fast" courses. A simple start, but a good one, and fairer as it relates peer placings. Not perfect, but seems to be a bit more reasonable than simply time which whilst an absolute is subject to far more variables with weather, traffic, course, etc. I hasten to add it's not my idea, personally I'm not bothered as I can't see the point of TT's week in and week out (something unique to this island), but whatever floats your boat....

Wow, I thought I said 'an easy and workable solution' this idea is anything but!! Like I said, 'quit moaning and train harder' simple solution, discernible results.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I could cry... just raced a 25, was on an average speed of 30.5 mph at 24 miles and feeling absolutely monstrous, then missed the sliproad down to the finish! Short 49, pissed away. After the extra distance and a short run back up the verge at the side of the road to the sliproad and soft tapping to the finish I clocked 52:18, 20 seconds slower than my current PB, I would have absolutely destroyed it and won the event by a 30-40 second margin! 49:20 worst case, 49:11 or quicker in all likelihood! GUTTED!

OP
OP
Spartak

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I could cry... just raced a 25, was on an average speed of 30.5 mph at 24 miles and feeling absolutely monstrous, then missed the sliproad down to the finish! Short 49, ****ed away. After the extra distance and a short run back up the verge at the side of the road to the sliproad and soft tapping to the finish I clocked 52:18, 20 seconds slower than my current PB, I would have absolutely destroyed it and won the event by a 30-40 second margin! 49:20 worst case, 49:11 or quicker in all likelihood! GUTTED!

Bad luck Rob3rt 8-(

I rode my clubs evening 10 tonight & on both laps was slowed by marshalls due to cars approaching a junction, could've PB'D if road had been clear, but just proves what a valuable job marshalls do 8-)

gds58

Über Member
I could cry... just raced a 25, was on an average speed of 30.5 mph at 24 miles and feeling absolutely monstrous, then missed the sliproad down to the finish! Short 49, ****ed away. After the extra distance and a short run back up the verge at the side of the road to the sliproad and soft tapping to the finish I clocked 52:18, 20 seconds slower than my current PB, I would have absolutely destroyed it and won the event by a 30-40 second margin! 49:20 worst case, 49:11 or quicker in all likelihood! GUTTED!
A lesson to be learned here - spend less time looking down at your computer and more time looking forward (where you are going!) and then you won't miss the marshal directing you where to go! On this occasion you missed out on a landmark ride but some years ago a friend of mine lost his life by not looking forward in a TT and rode into a stationary vehicle at 30+ mph. I'd say you got away lightly on this one.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A lesson to be learned here - spend less time looking down at your computer and more time looking forward (where you are going!) and then you won't miss the marshal directing you where to go! On this occasion you missed out on a landmark ride but some years ago a friend of mine lost his life by not looking forward in a TT and rode into a stationary vehicle at 30+ mph. I'd say you got away lightly on this one.

Way to jump to conclusions. I was looking where I was going... There was no marshal, there was a marshal at the far turn and that was all.

It was ultimately my fault I went off course, not because I wasn't watching where I was going, but because I didn't know the course beyond Google streetview (1st time riding it)

Last edited:

Hip Priest

Veteran

Unlucky mate.

OP
OP
Spartak

Spartak