Time Trial PB's

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by Spartak, 13 Sep 2013.

1. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

There are a few Kent courses that have superfast starts and manage to finish just short of the return hill. I think there are regulations concerning the distance between the start and finish lines so that a course designer can make a course "safer". Must be just lucky that as a biproduct the course ends up being a bit quicker.

2. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

Most are out and back to some degree . At least most of the opens and club TT's i have raced .

3. Cuchilo

The F11/10 is like that . You get the down hill but dont have to race back up it . Also the H25/2

Sharky likes this.
  4. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Has the memory of a goldfish

There was a course, which I can't remember the number of now (E3 maybe?), which ran along the south side of the Thames. People used to go down there and knock two or three minutes of their PBs, due to having the prevailing wind blowing you one way and lots of lorries sucking you along the other way.

I never rode it but I did do the E4 (revised), which ran along the A13, to the north of the Thames. That course had no lorries! I still have my start sheets actually. I may scan some of them later and post them, as they make interesting reading.

5. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

The E8, I think was a fast course, starting near Brentwood/Mountnessing. Went west towards where the m25 now is then retraced.

6. Kempstonian

The one I'm thinking of started going east mate, as did the E4. Maybe I should have ridden it, then I would know the route! lol

7. Kempstonian

Unfortunately I can't find any online references to the old TT courses. Maybe somebody should have done a study of them?

8. Cuchilo

All courses we can race now are here https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/

Kempstonian likes this.
  9. Kempstonian

Thanks Cuchilo, I had just found this and see some of the courses I rode are still there (even if the road layouts have changed!)

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.u...t=0&zoom=8&cenlat=52.110966&cenlng=-0.4919659

10. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Guru

And the U4. It was retired years ago because of traffic lights on Commonhead roundabout in Swindon but they were removed as part of the flyover works. I don't know if it's been used again since. It's a classic take-your-life-in-your-hands DC dragstrip course with a downhill at the start which you don't have to climb back up again. Probably wouldn't pass a risk assessment, since most cyclist deaths in Swindon seem to be on the A419.

11. viniga

viniga Über Member

22:29 Today at the GTR open 10 event on the Eglington course in Irvine. Lifetime and course PB! Bodes well for the season (frantically touches wood).

Toshiba Boy, mattobrien, HLaB and 2 others like this.
  12. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Not quite a PB, but pleased to make it to the start line again. Very windy conditions gave me a very slow time of 31:33 on 82" fixed.
    Targets this year to beat my age std (28:48) and then break the 27 minute barrier.

HLaB, Kempstonian and viniga like this.
  13. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

What an amazing night last night, everybody went quicker, it was such a calm night. Almost got my age std for this year with a 28:59. This time on my good fixie, with 88" and pointed hat. But still a long way to go for an absolute PB set in '69 and over 5 mins quicker.

viniga, HLaB and Kempstonian like this.
  14. DaveT

DaveT Über Member

Knocked 6 seconds off my pb with a 24:40 this morning, lacked my skinsuit and held up by a tractor (Devon tt hazards!) toward the end, so promising enough first event of the season

viniga and HLaB like this.
  15. viniga

viniga Über Member

Our weekly club league has re-started and I managed a CB on the A77 last night with a 23:41. I also rode in the CTT Scottish District Championships at the Westferry course on Sunday, first time on that course so I claim a CB there too of 22:46 :-)

So form holding, but looks like PBs from now on will need to be on the faster courses though!

Now preparing for a 25TT, hoping to hit the hour, fingers xd

HLaB and Sharky like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice