Time Trial PB's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I used to train on the old K37/10 Hollywood bypass (long since defunct due to traffic lights). If three HGVs passed in quick succession, I could be doing 30mph up a slight rise with very little effort. There is a reason that open events on such courses sell out at the drop of a hat - they offer a far higher chance of a PB (or sudden messy death) than a quiet course.

screenman

Legendary Member
I thought it was an open secret that the reason why a 'fast course' is fast is because it is busy and riders are drafting traffic! (They may not be riding directly behind vehicles but a vehicle some way up the road or overtaking can still offer significant help to a rider. Even at my modest riding speed, I noticed the help that passing vehicles were giving me yesterday in windy conditions.

I said "you are not supposed too"

viniga

Guru
So it's been a good season for me for TTs, met my season goals: PBing a 10m and riding under an hour on a 25. My final goal was to ride a 50 with no specific time aim I also achieved this and as it was a "fast course" :-) I managed just under the 2h mark! Now taking a break from the bike, in part forced by work and illness (just a horrible cold).

Wondering about next year... one year older but could I be faster... hmmm

Bill Gates

Times are meaningless when you compare different eras. I raced from 1976 to 1982 and the bike in my avatar was the norm. Managed 5 club records from 10 to 100 miles and 2 x 10 mile course records and one 25 mile Eastern Counties championship. Retired at age 33.

viniga

Guru
Times are meaningless when you compare different eras. I raced from 1976 to 1982 and the bike in my avatar was the norm. Managed 5 club records from 10 to 100 miles and 2 x 10 mile course records and one 25 mile Eastern Counties championship. Retired at age 33.

Wow strong rides! I'm no-where near breaking any course records, pretty middle of the road in the actual placements. But I enjoy it and will see if I can keep pushing it. Never know, might win a vets prize.

The equipment has certainly improved. This is the closest comparison I am aware of with a rider using old kit, quite impressive (this was an 8m TT):

"Despite being on the traditional 1976 'Flying Scot' bike set-up Archibald clocked a time of 14 minutes and 34 seconds, some six seconds faster than his nearest competitor riding a time trial bike. "

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-report/18491

He did use a skinsuit and aero helmet I think.

Bill Gates

Wow strong rides! I'm no-where near breaking any course records, pretty middle of the road in the actual placements. But I enjoy it and will see if I can keep pushing it. Never know, might win a vets prize.

The equipment has certainly improved. This is the closest comparison I am aware of with a rider using old kit, quite impressive (this was an 8m TT):

"Despite being on the traditional 1976 'Flying Scot' bike set-up Archibald clocked a time of 14 minutes and 34 seconds, some six seconds faster than his nearest competitor riding a time trial bike. "

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-report/18491

He did use a skinsuit and aero helmet I think.
I checked out the ride from your link, and it looks like a straight out 7 miles. I've no idea of the terrain or weather conditions, but looks a great ride. Extrapolating the time for 10 miles it is the equivalent of a time of 20.48. My best time in an open 10 mile TT on a proper out and home course is 20.30

Our first club TT ran tonight, its quite a hard sporting course. Due to circumstances there was no pusher off and it was an uclipped start. The nerves in my feet are still recovering from the chemo so they are a bit numb with pins and needles. So clipping in can be a hit or miss and tonight was a big miss. Despite that I went on to do a 3 sec PB. I had too much in the tank at the end though (setting PB's on warm down :wacko:) and if I get the start right I'll easily smash the pb :okay: My mate went the exact same speed as me and was 16secs faster so I know what the poor start cost me 😄

https://www.strava.com/activities/3772551687

Last edited:

SWSteve

Guru
Our first club TT ran tonight, its quite a hard sporting course. Due to circumstances there was no pusher off and it was an uclipped start. The nerves in my feet are still recovering from the chemo so they are a bit numb with pins and needles. So clipping in can be a hit or miss and tonight was a big miss. Despite that I went on to do a 3 sec PB. I had too much in the tank at the end though (setting PB's on warm down :wacko:) and if I get the start right I'll easily smash the pb :okay: My mate went the exact same speed as me and was 16secs faster so I know what the poor start cost me 😄

Good effort.
out of interest, do you have a power metre, and do you find it of Any use?

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish

Good stuff - PB's are always nice, especially when you know you could have gone faster! :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I used to ride a basic fixie with 32-spoke wheels, a normal jersey and either nothing on my head or a Buff to catch the sweat. The concession to modernity was clip-on tri-bars, which are worth about a minute over 10 miles (as Laurent Fignon discovered in 1989). Some guys had all the kit, with rear discs and frames and bars that looked like a knife edge head-on. Plus skinsuits, shoe covers and the hilarious "pointy hat". All that stuff may have been worth another minute or so.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The whole point of doing TT is to wear the pointy hat FFS ........ Oh and the tea with home baked cake :cuppa:

I'm curious about average TT speeds (if there is such a thing). I did my one and only TT when i was around 16yrs old some where around the back of Knutsford, close to Tatton park if i remember well. I've read through quite a bit of this thread but i'm wondering how vertical (climbing) metres are factored in, surely that's a massive variable or are the courses all pretty flat ?

Sharky

Guru
I'm curious about average TT speeds (if there is such a thing). I did my one and only TT when i was around 16yrs old some where around the back of Knutsford, close to Tatton park if i remember well. I've read through quite a bit of this thread but i'm wondering how vertical (climbing) metres are factored in, surely that's a massive variable or are the courses all pretty flat ?
TT courses are all "out and back" courses, so climbs and descents are balanced out. As too is the head winds and tail winds.

Top Bottom