Time Trial PB's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thank you for biting, @viniga
Fishing is such a satisfying 'sport', I'm told.
Average over 25mph. All she said as she passed the first two times was "hell". Turns out it was "gel" - her bottle full of gels (x 7) had bounced out (water from torpedo tank between bars) but her other supporter 'happened to have brought a spare bottle (NB aero shape to fit cage) and spare gels' so sorted the next time she passed him.

Last edited:
Average over 25mph.
Hmmm - it can't be 3h55m for 10 miles then. What a puzzle!

viniga

Guru
Thank you for biting, @viniga
Fishing is such a satisfying 'sport', I'm told.
Average over 25mph. All she said as she passed the first two times was "hell". Turns out it was "gel" - her bottle full of gels (x 7) had bounced out (water from torpedo tank between bars) but her other supporter 'happened to have brought a spare bottle (NB aero shape to fit cage) and spare gels' so sorted the next time she passed him.

gel hell :-)

Sounds like she went pretty fast. NB For a 10 mile TT it's worth having a Gel about 15m before the start. Won't have any impact taking them as you ride as the duration is too short. In fact it will just slow you down as you come out of position to eat them.

I've accidentally ended up measuring my 16km time twice over the last 2wks. Last week on a local flat ride i came in at 29:56 dead on the 16km mark but that wasn't there and back as i just happened to glance down as i was approaching 16km, overall it was 220m elevation vs 80m descent

Sunday morning i had a ride out and at the bottom of the climb the road was closed, i noticed it was it was written "contre la montre" and the cycling club guys there said anyone can go through but you need to pay €8 if you wanted your time recorded, i thought i'd avoid paying for the embarrassment but at least do the 16km route, more of a hill climb than a TT i suppose. Took me 1hr 25mins to get up but i was happy to pass 6 guys although it was with only 1min intervals between the starters (plenty flew past me and from memory the fastest i heard was sub 51mins:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:)

Wish there were more TT's going on here (not such hilly ones at least:whistle:)

viniga

Guru
Why? To settle the stomach down? To beef up glycogen or blood sugar levels? To make sure you don't ride too fast?
Ah, I made the assumption that Caffeine would be in the gel. Should be in your system about 15m after you take it. The sugar isn't going to make any difference over the duration of a standard 10m tt but tastes nice!

PBd the club 10, well 9.9, by a second. There's still more to come performance wise but this was the last one of the season 😐 I twisted my knee the other day (doh I think the new cleat slipped) and it was 100% again and doh in the warm up I knocked it off the handlebars. Clipping in wasn't quite as bad tonight but it again cost me time (my feet nerves have still to grow back post chemo, which makes clipping in a biatch)
Polish_20200820_232503261.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Daughter got a cheer from the (socially distanced) starters and hangers on when she clipped in first time. Which suggested that others had generally not been so lucky competent.

Daughter got a cheer from the (socially distanced) starters and hangers on when she clipped in first time. Which suggested that others had generally not been so lucky competent.
:notworthy:

I'm guessing most of them were on 3-bolt cleats. If we are going to be racing with COVID precautions much longer - and it seems more likely than not - then I seriously think riding with "race" pedals is a big handicap (for those that care enough to buy faster socks etc).

Ajax Bay

Guru
Race details: "There will be no “pusher offer” and you will have to do a standing start on your own with one foot on the ground. Rolling starts, track stands and “jumping the gun” will not be permitted. Offenders will be disqualified."
"faster socks": I was deputed to buy her some 'Velotoze' overshoes on the Saturday afternoon as hers had ripped; for both dry feet and aero reasons.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Some might be interested in nutrition before during and after 100 miles TT.

Sat Day: extra cinnamon and raisin bagel.⠀
Sat Evening: large simple pasta (tomato, onion and chicken).

Sun am (-2.5hrs): can of hot rice pudding, tsp of rasp jam, decaf tea.
Sipping PH 1000.
(-30mins): banana, 3/4 of a gel.⠀

Race (8am-12): 2 x caffeine gels (then lost gel bottle to pot hole). Continued on 6 x non-caffeine gels on replen. (60g/hr for 4hrs, 2:1 fructose, regular sips of gel bottle on hills/pre corners).⠀
Plus: started with 750ml of PH500, 3 x refill of ~600ml water (total ~2.5L).⠀

Post race: preferred snack bought the day before - choc dipped macaroon. Plus a protein bar. Lots of water.⠀
Sun Early Evening: massive beef burger and chips followed by salty popcorn on the sofa.⠀
@timpodlogar advice

viniga

Guru
Some might be interested in nutrition before during and after 100 miles TT.

Right 3h55m for a 100m TT. That's a brilliant time, chapeaux! And yeah gels would be handy.

If I am ever brave enough to enter a 100 I'l bear in mind the nutrition plan, especially the day after ^_^

Last edited:

viniga

Guru
First open event in Scotland today! Got a PB on it too - 10m TT on the Eglington course - 22:14. Good conditions.

If you like videos of people in skinsuits with pointy hats this is for you:

GTR 10m TT

Sharky

Guru
Well no pb for me this season. Only managed 4 10's this year. The last one should be tomorrow, but with 40mph winds, it's going to be cancelled. Ended up with a SB of 30:06. Think it must be the first year I haven't beaten my age standard or got under evens. Still as I hardly rode during the lockdown, I should be pleased with that. Always next year.

Top Bottom